Why become a member? ×

innovation rock a billys

Hi

I have had to take my innovation rock a billys off as i have installed my new Schaller mag pickup and they will not work with the pick up

. Not the ideal pick up i would have bought but this came with the DB deal i got. I have put the old steel strings back on and although they work ok with the pick up i cant seem to slap with them . what would be the best strings to buy to go with this pick up ?

its a shame as i was geting used to the rock a billys and they had only been on 2 weeks. maybe someone on here would like to do a swap or something?

The Innovation 140H "honey" set will work with the schaller, although they haven't got much metal in them. I've swapped between them a few times and not found it a huge change. They are stiffer, but not like steel core strings.

However...I also tried the Schaller and found it pretty weak and boring. I'd also consider a Kent Armstrong magnetic or a different piezo type pickup...then you can stay with the rockabillys and slap away.

Much less hassle will be swapping to a piezo pickup, as BassBod suggests. They slip in the wings of the bridge, can be bought cheaply (a good one like an Underwood, Shadow or BassMax will cost you £50+ used but there's acceptable ones on eBay for like £20), and you won't have to change strings (I hate swapping DB strings as I end up with cramped hands!). Ditch the Schaller! Or get a better mag ... but easiest is to get a piezo IMHO

Edited by Clarky

All good advice above.

I put a mag pickup on as a backup to piezo when I started cos I was so afraid of feedback, but even playing real loud I've never had to use it.

And the piezo will certainly sound better than even a good mag like the Kent Armstrong.

If you put up an items wanted post for a piezo in the DB section (BassMax seems the most popular although Shadow 950 and Underwoods are very good too) I reckon you should come up trumps. You can get guide prices from the DB for sale forum, looking back at old sales, but I reckon you could pick up a BassMax for maybe £50-60. Most of the DBers on here are forever chopping and changing and seem to have at least several piezo's lying around :D

just put my 140 RBs back on. wow what a difference, i can play a bit now lol. think it was good practice to put steels on for a few weeks then go back to these. my fingers are hardened up alot and my wrists getting stronger too. just need that pick up now as hopefully going to a jam night in a month. i might go for the j tone that was recomended just for now .
thanks for all advise

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Hurley off Ebay. I was hoping to pass it around so people could try it on their basses and we can get an overall view to it's usability.

I'll post it to you to try if you like. You may need to sand down the wing gaps a little for it to fit. PM me if you want to try it.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lockpicker IMO get a J Tone, the one that has 2 bridge Piezos ( Not the Red's) i thought this would be a "stop gap" until i could afford a decent P'up Then i bought a Bass Max.... well..... the J Tone is brighter has more volume and definition than the
B Max....Hey they are half the price of a B Max...Whaaaaaa!... your call...... but As far as i'm concerned it's J tone al the way. wouldn't mind trying a Realist though.....i have Honeys on my DB they feel great and slap nice without a Clicker in the neck.. I have met the bloke who does the J tone's he's been doing them for years in Newcastle and is very knowledgeable about DB's.....Knows a thing or two about Piezo's and Mag's as well........hope this is of some help