Why become a member? ×

Does a fully portable Double Bass exist?

Reasonably new to the world of Double/Upright Bass.

The best job I can find for being portable is the Eminence with the removable neck. Does anyone have any experience of these?

I do not want to get a "stick style" EUB, as need the acoustic body aspect of DB.

Anyone got any ideas? For touring/gigging it is impractical for be to get a massive double bass, but maybe thats the price to pay?

The removable neck Eminance bass sounds just like a real double amplified. Ridicuously portable however I'm not sure how stable the instrument would be taking out the neck and bridge all the time. I was really impressed though when I tried one. I think thomann have a few at reasonable prices.

[url="http://www.gelbass.com/"]http://www.gelbass.com/[/url]

Edited by chrkelly

+1 for the Eminence. They're incredibly well made, very practical and, above all, sound and feel like the real thing.

I've been touring with one for about 6 years. Never had a single problem with them. (Did have a faulty Realist pickup on it when I first got it and that was promptly replaced with no question).

I've never been charged any excess baggage fees and they couldn't be more simple to set up and take apart when needed.

They really are made with the point of view of being a replacement for a real upright on the road rather than many EUB's that lend themselves to electric players who play a little upright. Part of this is the feel of the neck, string tension and string length. Another factor is that it's a fully acoustic instrument, there's nothing electric about it. The pickup is the same (albeit slightly modified) as what you would use on a regular size upright. They're loud enough and sound good enough for hotel room jamming/practicing.

I know a guy here in Belfast who was selling his 5-string detachable version, not sure if he sold it or not. If you're still looking I'll give him a shout. Not sure if he's a member here.