Why become a member? ×

Who makes which strings???

LITTLEWING

Now, I've been playing since God was in nappies, and until now I've never thought about string makers until my other two band members said to me the other day that D'addario and Ernie Ball strings are the same apart from D's coloured ball ends. Anybody out there know anything, or even shed some light on all makers/distributors?

Fender strings are now all made by D'addario. I don't find D'addarios and Ernie Balls to be identical but that's not to say they are definately not made by the same people. I read somewhere that Rotosound have a line of string which is sold under a different budget brand name but I can't remember which it was.

I don't know who makes what, but I do remember reading somewhere that one company does make the majority of strings out there, just like Cort makes a lot of instruments sold under different brand names. The jist seems to be that one company will have a different recipe/tone goal from another company and that's the difference in string. Being made in the same factory doesn't make them the same product.

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1332064700' post='1582606']
I don't know who makes what, but I do remember reading somewhere that one company does make the majority of strings out there, just like Cort makes a lot of instruments sold under different brand names. The jist seems to be that one company will have a different recipe/tone goal from another company and that's the difference in string. Being made in the same factory doesn't make them the same product.
[/quote]

This. ^

This is no big deal. There are lots of examples across the manufacturing specrum just the same. The food industry for example. The vast majority of processed foods are made by a relitivly small number of companies for the large number of brands. Mr Kipling, GU and Asda Smart Price are all made in the same factory on an industrial estate in the North West. That doesnt mean they are the same thing. They make what the customer wants.
I wouldnt loose any sleep over it ;) Its a consumable like an exhaust on a car. The original on your Ford isnt made by Ford and neither is the one you get fitted when it drops off.

It is, however, interesting to know the things :D

A

Guest teamcoy

Wow, as obvious as this is when you sit back and think, I genuinely had no idea.

Have always discounted a lot of cheaper strings based on others opinions, maybe I should give them a pop. If it saves me £5 a set then bring it.

Thanks for this nugget of info.

Lakland Strings are made by GHS which suggests that GHS make their own strings. D'Addario make strings for Fender. So the conclusion seems to be that there are string making companies and then other companies who, because strings aren't their first thing, have strings made for them.

So you can expect that the likes of GHS, D'Addario, La Bella, Thomastik, etc., make their own strings while the likes of Fender, Ernie Ball, Lakland don't make their own strings.

[quote name='teamcoy' timestamp='1332067757' post='1582653']
Wow, as obvious as this is when you sit back and think, I genuinely had no idea.

Have always discounted a lot of cheaper strings based on others opinions, maybe I should give them a pop. If it saves me £5 a set then bring it.

Thanks for this nugget of info.
[/quote]

Ah but its not that simple. Cheaper stings may be made in the same factory as your top notch brands but they may not be to the same spec. Thats why they are cheaper. Or they may be the same spec but in a different bag without the 'name'. Its pot luck and the string manufacturers wont be too forth coming as to what is what etc. If they told the world that the £50 set is exactly the same as the £5 set they wont get another contract from the £50 guys. The mass produced musical instrument industry has made a fortune not from thier quality or sound or customer service. They made it from what little sticker they put on the headstock or bag.

A

I'm not sure about the roundwounds, but Ernie Ball flatwounds and D'addario Chromes seem uncannily similar. The only difference I can see, feel or hear is that Ernie Balls have slightly more length between the silks (presumably to allow for a Stingray bridge) and plain brass ball ends. That would fit with the idea of them being made by D'addario, but to Ernie Ball's specifications.

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1332100709' post='1583341']
All I can add is;

Picato make their own [i]and,[/i] I do believe, Overwater strings
AFAIK DR make their own, too.
[/quote]

Ahh this is interesting, i've tried the picato flatwounds and was mighty impressed, are the Overwater flatwounds very similar? i need a 5 string flatwound set and the picato's aren't very available online, and the Overwater ones are more than a fiver cheaper.

if someone can give me an answer i'll pull the trigger on the Overwater ones straight away.

Matt

[quote name='Gareth Hughes' timestamp='1332064700' post='1582606']
[/quote]

So true... I'm currently trying out some Sadowsky flats. They are made by Labella, but are quite different in tone, & also feel to a certain extent. They're very nice :)

[quote name='Matt P' timestamp='1332101420' post='1583357']
Ahh this is interesting, i've tried the picato flatwounds and was mighty impressed, are the Overwater flatwounds very similar? i need a 5 string flatwound set and the picato's aren't very available online, and the Overwater ones are more than a fiver cheaper.

if someone can give me an answer i'll pull the trigger on the Overwater ones straight away.

Matt
[/quote]

I believe Status flats are also made by Picato. I like them too. :)

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1332107686' post='1583485']
I'd like conformation of this as afaik Hotwires are made in-house.
[/quote]

Wasn't aware that Status actually had a manufacturing facility with regard to production of their flatwound strings, but if that is the case I stand corrected.
One of my P-Basses is strung with them & I find them remakably similar to the Picatos I've used previously.
:)

Edited by nick