Why become a member? ×

Hello, i'm new here!

Baseballfan1456

What kind of bass do you want?

Musicman, Warwick, Ibanex, Yamaha, Spector, amongst others all fall within that price range for new basses. You could go second hand and get much better value for money but you'd have to take responsibility for checking the bass over more carefully before you buy it

People usually go for a starter bass between £300-450. You could probably net yourself a secondhand MM Stingray or new Japanese Fender for your budget - hell you could even make Bassjamm an offer on his [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1044"]Smith BSR5J [/url]in the Basschat classifieds!

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the best bass to start off with is IMHO a Fender Precision Bass. They are great general instruments, suitable for any musical style, they have never really gone out of fashion and aren't likely to and you could pick up a japanese one for less than your budget (check the for sale section on Basschat).

I would question the wisdom of buying anything more expensive or 'niche' since you may regret it after a couple of years when you understand more about the sound and type of instrument you want. I started on a Squire (cheap fender licenced copy)Precision played it for 4 years by which time knew enough to know exactly what I wanted from my next instrument.

Incidentally I have no agenda here, I don't own any fenders anymore, but I stick by them as a great starter bass.

Also save some money on the bass and you could buy a funky little amp (Mr Cougar recommends one of the small Mark Bass amps they are very good for the size and money)

Good luck with the Bass - you are now officially cool regardless of what your guitarist mates think.

Edited by Mr Cougar