Why become a member? ×

'66 Slab Precision...Anyone seen one/got one?

Rick's Fine '52

Just wanted to say that Entwistles tone on in that clip, especially so clear on Sad About Us, gives me a slab woody.

I can't imagine what a sensation hearing them live would have been like then, no one had ever sounded remotely like them. That bass tone must have been a shocker.

I always put fresh Rotos on my P before a gig, and get a similar tone with quite low action through a Tech 21 Leeds pedal and my SVT. It's a powerful sound.

Edited by One Drop

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1465264586' post='3066643']
Yes!
[/quote]

It looks like one but does it sound like one?

(I know it's miming on Top of the Pops and it may well not be what was used in the studio but ... hey ... nonetheless ... does it sound like a 66 Slab P?)

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1465322570' post='3067167']
It looks like one but does it sound like one?

(I know it's miming on Top of the Pops and it may well not be what was used in the studio but ... hey ... nonetheless ... does it sound like a 66 Slab P?)
[/quote]

Assuming it is a Slab on the recording, the fabled Slab sound seems to be in the treblier end of the tone - thumb-plucking at the neck with (presumably) the tone turned down is always going to result in a more trad sound.

Edited by Cosmo Valdemar

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1465463202' post='3068375']
Just to say, if people would like to continue this discussion, I'm really enjoying all these old clips of The Who...
[/quote]

Oi! I told you - check out Felix Pappalardi!

[quote name='andydye' timestamp='1403194174' post='2480715']
oh hello nurse :gas: that's awesome!
[/quote]

Oh I remember when you were talking about looking for one or "Did someone have on"? and now it's here. Are you really going to clean it? If no one has died touching it, I certainly would just love to look at it as it is. Anyone going to polish the Holy Grail? Nah! Still I grew up in Portobello Road. Learned the value of dirt on an icon a long time ago. Good luck to you.
How about some sound bites using those original strings? That would be one of the most awsom recordings for a collection. I am sure we would all enjoy and respect an opportunity to hear the authentic sound before you took it apart (probably way too late now!)?.

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1465390267' post='3067758']
Assuming it is a Slab on the recording, the fabled Slab sound seems to be in the treblier end of the tone - thumb-plucking at the neck with (presumably) the tone turned down is always going to result in a more trad sound.
[/quote]

Just sounded like a P bass to me.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='dmz' timestamp='1332277861' post='1586100']
Has anyone ever made a replica ? Fender (US or JP), Tokai, Shuker, Bravewood etc etc
[/quote]

Bass Centre Bass Collection have a Frankenstein model. In pink. Which is weird, as I don't think he performed it in that colour. Haven't tried it though.

[quote name='pintspiller' timestamp='1468895338' post='3094132']
Bass Centre Bass Collection have a Frankenstein model. In pink. Which is weird, as I don't think he performed it in that colour. Haven't tried it though.
[/quote]

I believe the original body might have been finished in sunburst (could be wrong), but he had it resprayed in "salmon" - perhaps unsurprisingly, given it was supposedly assembled from a collection of smashed bass parts.

[quote name='pintspiller' timestamp='1468895472' post='3094133']
[url="http://www.basscentre.com/british-bass-masters/the-bass-centre-frankenstein-bass.html"]http://www.basscentr...stein-bass.html[/url]
[/quote]

I think I've seen these on another thread, though the reaction from others was a little lukewarm overall...anybody know whether they're much cop compared to a similarly-priced Precision copy?

[quote name='EliasMooseblaster' timestamp='1468913203' post='3094192']
I believe the original body might have been finished in sunburst (could be wrong), but he had it resprayed in "salmon" - perhaps unsurprisingly, given it was supposedly assembled from a collection of smashed bass parts.

[/quote]

Frankenstein did indeed begin it's blasphemous life with a sunburst body - JE resprayed it fiesta red years later, long after it's retirement from active Who duty.
IIRC the neck and electronics were from the Slab, the bridge and tuners from a Jazz.