Why become a member? ×

'66 Slab Precision...Anyone seen one/got one?

Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1332258556' post='1585694']
The bulky Fender-style neck joint is a completely different matter though!
[/quote]
If it was that bad - you'd think they would have changed it after 60 years - wouldn't you? :rolleyes:

Re the slab body - I only play seated & find my MiJ '51P plenty comfortable enough, even though or perhaps because I'm a fat bastard :o it has a nice 'shelf' for my forearm which suits my finger style up near the neck playing. I don't think I change position noticeably between playing that & the more rounded P's I have.

Gawd, we really are a bunch of big girl`s blouse`s if the lack of a belly contour puts you off a bass! :D

And I would have thought that being a "bit porky" in the belly department would have given you some cushioning.

Not that I have ever seen a fat bassist ;)

Jez

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1332257916' post='1585680']
What's the big deal about this bass - just the rarity?

I would have thought that if it was actually any good there would have been a re-issue (probably from Japan).
[/quote]

Rarity alone, end of.

There is nothing in the build up of the bass to suggest it has any tonal differences. John Entwistle said once that it had more growl, and lots of folk have jumped on that band wagon. My '57 has more growl than my '56, basses are all a bit different.

Its super rare, that's it.

Contoured P's [i]are[/i] more comfortable than slab P's though.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1332265323' post='1585814']
Me neither! :unsure:
[/quote]

I have - he lives on the other side of the mirror in our bathroom. :P

Didn't Ace Kefford use one on "Night of Fear"? That has some real growly, aggresive bass.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MlHiNrdFh0

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1332265749' post='1585824']

There is nothing in the build up of the bass to suggest it has any tonal differences. John Entwistle said once that it had more growl, and lots of folk have jumped on that band wagon.
Its super rare, that's it.

[/quote]

No jumping on bandwagons here. As an owner I concur with Mr. Entwhistle - more aggressive, growly and ultra bright.

Also a tad uncomfortable in the belly department but that's maybe my fault for being a funny shape.

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1332267716' post='1585865']
No jumping on bandwagons here. As an owner I concur with Mr. Entwhistle - more aggressive, growly and ultra bright.

Also a tad uncomfortable in the belly department but that's maybe my fault for being a funny shape.
[/quote]

Fair enough, I take that back, I'm only going on books I've read, research done, comments from other owners, and the simple fact that there is nothing different in the components that would realistically make a difference, but you are better placed than me to make that comment, as its based on proper experience, and not my readings alone.
Thanks for that. What do you put the difference in tone down too then?, is it just the higher output pickups??
Interested to know more. Cheers

[quote name='Jazzneck' timestamp='1332265927' post='1585827']
I have - he lives on the other side of the mirror in our bathroom. :P

Didn't Ace Kefford use one on "Night of Fear"? That has some real growly, aggresive bass.....

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MlHiNrdFh0[/media]
[/quote]

It's all coming back to me now :unsure: Long story - when I were a lad, Roy Wood was dating our guitarist's sister & when he used to come down to Hastings (Northiam actually) for a 'session' John (Ace) often used to come with. So in that lovely old cellar where we used to have a smoke & a beer or 12 & play a bit :) I would sometimes borrow that very bass of John's :D

Thank goodness for youtube!

OK, here's my take:-

Firstly the neck. Maple-on-maple with the fingerboard 'rolled' as opposed to slab cut. This was the only time Fender did that as far as I know. I have spoken to players of '66 Telecaster 6-strings with the same configuration and thay tell me their model sounds brighter than either rosewood boards or solid maple.

Secondly the pickup was wound slightly higher than my other Precisions - not far off 12K I seem to remember.

Body wood (and yes I know about the experiment with a piece of scrap wood). It was light for a slab and I discovered afterwards from the late Jim Cairnes that the peculiar colouration I described to him suggested tulipwood/magnolia had been used instead of ash or alder.

So these three points combined to give the bass it's special flavour - all just in my opinion of course but I hope dear readers will accept that I speak as one who has experienced more Fender basses than notes I have played on them!

I am Morethan Semen. Thank you for listening.

John Entwistle on bass destruction and construction in 'Fender Bass For Britain - The History of the 1966 Slab-Bodied Precision Bass':

'Let me give a little advice on smashing a Fender slab Precision bass...

DON'T raise it above your head by the neck and bring it down like an axe - it will bounce off the stage, fly over your head and smash your spinal cord.

DON'T bring it down like a tennis racket - it will vibrate back through your whole body from your toes to your skull and you'll bite the end off your tongue.

DON'T swing it around like an Olympic hammer thrower or you'll lose your balance and end up flat on your back.

It took me fifteen minutes to smash that damned thing. All the time with the audience of ten thousand and the rest of the Who screaming encouragement.

DO walk up to the edge of the stage, find the sharpest corner - preferably metal reinforced - and with all your remaining strength - KILL IT!

EPILOGUE (HAPPY ENDING)
The day after the concert, we had a day off in San Francisco. I asked our roadie, Bob Pridden, to bring all my bits of bass wreckage up to my hotel room. After wrestling for four hours with a Philips screwdriver and a soldering iron, I managed to make the bass I used for the next eight years.

-- FRANKENSTEIN. With the free heart and soul of a slab bass.'

Edited by discreet

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1332269643' post='1585898']

Firstly the neck. Maple-on-maple with the fingerboard 'rolled' as opposed to slab cut. This was the only time Fender did that as far as I know. I have spoken to players of '66 Telecaster 6-strings with the same configuration and thay tell me their model sounds brighter than either rosewood boards or solid maple.

Secondly the pickup was wound slightly higher than my other Precisions - not far off 12K I seem to remember.

Body wood (and yes I know about the experiment with a piece of scrap wood). It was light for a slab and I discovered afterwards from the late Jim Cairnes that the peculiar colouration I described to him suggested tulipwood/magnolia had been used instead of ash or alder.

So these three points combined to give the bass it's special flavour - all just in my opinion of course but I hope dear readers will accept that I speak as one who has experienced more Fender basses than notes I have played on them!

[/quote]

Thanks, interesting stuff. Don't doubt any of it.
The maple cap point is an interesting one, I've always been curious as to why it would make such a difference tonally. Having played hundreds of vintage rosewood and maple fender basses, the main difference in sound comes from the the pickups/amp etc (To me anyway), and the difference in wood makes a much bigger difference to the [i]playability[/i] than the tone. I can make a maple neck '52 P sound almost as warm as a '62 Jazz, with a few knob twiddles, but they feel completely different of course. I must find a maple cap!! the one i played wasnt markedly different, although i didnt spend long enough with it to make a proper assessment. I must borrow yours for a couple of years!! :rolleyes:

I guess, as you, and many others suggest, its a combination of all the unique traits, that make this bird different to other variations Fender have produced.

Thanks, this is the kinda reply i hoped for. How long have you had it, if you don't mind me asking??

Rick

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1332262134' post='1585758']
If it was that bad - you'd think they would have changed it after 60 years - wouldn't you? :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Yes you would ;-)

I supposed my hatred of the lumpy Fender neck joint stems from the fact that I'd been playing basses with either through necks or heel-less set necks for over 25 years before I came across my first F-style neck joint. Unsurprising that it got in the way of my playing technique.

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1332270630' post='1585920'] Thanks, this is the kinda reply i hoped for. How long have you had it, if you don't mind me asking?? [/quote]

Cheers Rick, I'm afraid I don't own one now. My favourite presently resides with Barry Matthews.

He's a nice guy who may let you visit to try it out. If you need a number on him I can put you in touch via PM.

I note your point about twiddling to equalise the sound of a couple of Fenders but I meant to refer to the acoustic properties being different to begin with. I go along with the fact that the pickups/amp settings govern the final result but, on the other hand, if the bass rings differently before you plug in, the pickup/amp end can at first only amplify what's there to begin with (does that make any sense?).

Anyway, I like the fact that different opinions exist on this splendid forum.

Never forget what dear old Uncle Adolf said 'Opinions are like testicles - we've all got one'.

Edited by The Bass Doc

I've owned two - one in original finish and one refinished. I am quoted in the Barry Matthews book (sorry Howard!) and I also wrote an article about them for Bassist Magazine in the late 90's. The pictures posted here are of my original finish one, which was used in the article.

Cool basses. Not sure they sounded any differenet but they looked great (though a bit cumbersome).

Cheers

Johnny

[quote name='The Bass Doc' timestamp='1332269643' post='1585898']

[/quote]

and you've met more fenders than bum, there was a joke in there somewhere