Why become a member? ×

Possible dipping toe in EUB water here

fumps

Hi guys I know you get asked this a million times over so I will keep this at least a little interesting for you guys.
I've been drooling over a double bass for over a decade to be fair & never really believed I would be skilled enough to be able to hold one for someone else lol. I do go into a strange hypnotised state when I see or hear a double bass being played. In short i've always been transfixed by the instrument.

Anyway recently after a very frank conversation with my boss (Some people call them girlfriends apparently) I enthused about the idea of playing an upright, I didn't realise but when I stopped talking she admitted my passion for the sound had taken her back a little bit. she agreed that I should start looking into the idea of getting an electric upright. She told me that if you can make this work go for it.
I would love a full Double bass but I live in a brick built Wendy house so space is at a real premium. I have looked around at various EUB's and was looking naturally at the Stagg 3/4 EUB.

Am I right in thinking that if I'm 5' 9" a 3/4 bass will be correct ?

The reasons I am looking at the Stagg are:
firstly budget- I'm not 100% sure I will take to it (Worried about meeting your idols lol)
Other reasons is simply because I know the brand have been around a while & I have no knowledge of any other budget manufacturers who make EUB's ......but am open to recommendations.
Also I have checked them out on You tube & it does deliver the sound I'm looking for (But again I'm open to recommendations)

What I need to know is am I missing something ? Is there anything that I have clearly not taken into account ?
Am I being stupid & should stick to my round the neck bass noodlings?

If anyone could spare the time to help me with some information & advice I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you guys

I made the leap to EUB late last year and yes it is a very different way of playing; yes it's a whole new scale length to play with, BUT, it's sooo cool!

I got an NXT4 and a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp and it does sound remarkably good through a PA, some songs just 'have' to have an EUB rather than an 'ordinary' electric bass, they sound wrong with electric...

I tried a few in shops over many years, the Ampeg baby bass was lovely, never got to try the stagg as no-one had it in stock when I was there but it was on my list for ages until I saw the bass I eventually bought for such a low price I had to buy it instead of the stagg...

Hi mate
Yes the difference is kind of what attracts me, I have always been a lover of all things Bass so when i hear the tone & sound a DB makes i do go all distant with a half smile on my face lol.
I love The NS design Bass' it is a beautiful looking Bass, unfortunately budget restraints are a big factor in what i can have unfortunately, I'm not a massive earner so most of my disposable money goes on my son or the house (we are first time buyers) ......i vary rarely spend money on myself, which is why i got permission to start taking this endeavor seriously.

I just had a look on evil bay & there are some very low cost EDB's on there from China, does anyone know what they are ?
I'm not considering them but just interested in general

Go for it, life's too short!

I picked up an Aria [url="http://www.ariausa.com/basses/swblitebis.html"]SWB[/url] two years back, the one the Stagg is modelled on, but very quickly moved on to a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/110096-bsx-allegro-5"]BSX Allegro[/url] as it confirmed everything I had hoped for in the upright!

I absolutely love it and use it for about half the songs in my current band now. It sounds and looks the biz, and is always a real talking point with the audience.

I was scared of the scale length change initially, but when the BSX arrived, with no dots at all on the neck, I knew I just had to go for it!

String choice was critical for me. I really didn't get on with metal strings, but Innovation Silver Slaps gave me the feel/tension and tone I wanted.

All the best

Gareth

did i hear my name :D

hi fumps,the Stagg is a very good starting point & sounds pretty much like a propper DB it's fairly similar to play too having a DB neck on it + they have side position markers on too which is a real help with intonation.

infact i'm thinking of selling mine on if you are interested,it's only 3 months old & in mint condition too but since i got my DB i've not used the Stagg at all so it may as well go to a new home.
i've sorted the rattling end pin on mine too as they are prone for that,drop me a PM if interested,i'm not a greedy man so won't try to fleece you :yarr:
edit: just noticed your in Leeds,if you fancy a drive to Harrogate you're welcome to come & have a go.

Edited by artisan

Hi guys
thank you so much for the advice with what you guys say the set up you have is a very personal thing, i have to admit i've been lurking this sections for a while reading up & trying to learn what i can.

I think a change could be a good thing.

I've got to be honest,but I don't particularly like the Stagg electric upright....mainly because
of the sound.
I'd prefer to look for a proper upright.....you can get a decent enough model for under £500....
A friend of mine has a beautiful $12,000 Juzek,but prefers the feel and tone of his $500 Chinese
bass.
Electric uprights are great but unless you are willing to spend quite a lot of money,they are no
substitue for an acoustic bass. It is not uncommon for players of electric upright to not be able
to last for one tune on an acoustic,due to the physical differences.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1332421756' post='1588047']
I've got to be honest,but I don't particularly like the Stagg electric upright....mainly because
of the sound.
I'd prefer to look for a proper upright.....you can get a decent enough model for under £500....
A friend of mine has a beautiful $12,000 Juzek,but prefers the feel and tone of his $500 Chinese
bass.
Electric uprights are great but unless you are willing to spend quite a lot of money,they are no
substitue for an acoustic bass. It is not uncommon for players of electric upright to not be able
to last for one tune on an acoustic,due to the physical differences.
[/quote]

Not sure I'm with you on this. If you play an upright with the same action and setup as the EUB then chances are you'd be fine. Getting proper instruction would very much help in this regard. I think fumps has already suggested that he has a small house so the Stagg is probably a better option...for now ;)

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1332426788' post='1588189']
Genius. One lick saves on a box of carpet tacks. :)

Good luck with this Gav - I've been toying with getting an EUB for the past 15 years. :rolleyes: Out of the question for some time now, but eventually....
[/quote]
lol yes i've decided to at least look into it more seriously. i decided to be more brave in 2012 & act more think less :D

the thinking isn't a big hurdle i may add

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1332422808' post='1588075']
Not sure I'm with you on this. If you play an upright with the same action and setup as the EUB then chances are you'd be fine. Getting proper instruction would very much help in this regard. I think fumps has already suggested that he has a small house so the Stagg is probably a better option...for now ;)
[/quote]

+1 my DB is actually easier to play than frump's Stagg - err i mean my Stagg -- but that's only cos by DB is setup sooooo nicely.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1332421756' post='1588047']

bass.

[/quote]
I agree . The EUB is not a substitute for the DB.

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1332422808' post='1588075']
[/quote]
The problem is that many electric uprights tend to have light gauge strings and low action which makes them quite
easy to play pizzicato..you don't have to 'work' the instrument much to get a good tone from the notes.
Also,because of the (lack of)body shape,I've seen a number of players completely avoid the whole
thumb position and use pretty much the same technique throughout the length of the fingerboard.Most aren't particularly
good for arco playing either.

Think about the Clifton EUB currently in the for sales (in Leeds?). They are very close to acoustic double basses (close your eyes and everything is in the same place) and sound very good. I've been playing one for over ten years and I'm just moving over to an acoustic. They pack down into a bag that isn't a whole lot bigger than a BG. If it doesn't work out you can probably sell it without any loss (they are 2 grand new).

Good luck with the boss.....mine christened the EUB BigBoy.......

[quote name='BassBod' timestamp='1332439735' post='1588469']
Think about the Clifton EUB currently in the for sales (in Leeds?). They are very close to acoustic double basses (close your eyes and everything is in the same place) and sound very good. I've been playing one for over ten years and I'm just moving over to an acoustic. They pack down into a bag that isn't a whole lot bigger than a BG. If it doesn't work out you can probably sell it without any loss (they are 2 grand new).
[/quote]
Good call.....I've had a Clifton for years. They are on a whole different level from most electric uprights,they are one
of the few basses that are actually convincing-along with basses like Clevinger,Eminence and Azola.

If you love the sound of the double bass, then I fear only a double bass will do. To save space you can get stands for them and secure the neck to a hook in the wall with a bit of rope to stop it being knocked over. Notice how many on here started on EUB and changed to an upright. Why waste the time? :)

It is true. An EUB will never replace an acoustic, even the best ones have less complexity and character to their sound. But a good EUB wins hands down as soon as the stage volume reaches a certain level.

Whatever you end up with, do have it set up properly by an experienced luthier...a double bass repairer if possible. Makes all the difference.

[quote name='ShergoldSnickers' timestamp='1332493827' post='1588978']
Reading this thread is torture. :lol:

Had a quick go on a very old German DB way back in 1982 - that was all I was allowed. It was a three stringed one that hadn't been converted to 4. Massive and controlled tone. All this is just reminding me. :(
[/quote]
I happen to know where there is an old DB in a junk shop. it's very old & dusty with no strings on it. i was very tempted, i was thinking about buying it and getting it fully restored. but to be fair i dont know anything about DB's also no where to store it, i'd be lost & not sure if it would be actually worth doing in the first place.

Just to throw my twopenneth in here, I was in a similar position last year, had been wanting to try DB but didn't have the space to keep one at home. I went with the Stagg option and have never regretted it. Apart from the different scale, you'll be amazed how quickly you convert, and as a consequence of playing walking lines on the EUB, my electric bass playing has improved to boot. There is a bit of snobbery about the Stagg driven mainly by the price, I mean if it only costs 'that' much it cant be very good can it? Well, its true that you have to change the strings and do a little bit of fettling (shielding the control cavity, foam to stop the end pin rattle, a damper of some description behind the bridge) but once you do this you'll have a very playable EUB that does a very convincing (to my ears anyway) DB. My advice is just do it, buy second hand and with the Stagg you can almost be guaranteed to get your money back if you find its not for you or want to progress to a DB and need to move it on,

+ 1 to the above
frump's Stagg,i mean my Stagg came new with the cavity already shielded & i have fixed the end pin rattle + it has a foam mute fitted so its all good to go. :D

JPJ is dead right too the Stagg's punch well above their weight & sound very good indeed.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='JPJ' timestamp='1332498484' post='1589071']
Just to throw my twopenneth in here, I was in a similar position last year, had been wanting to try DB but didn't have the space to keep one at home. I went with the Stagg option and have never regretted it. Apart from the different scale, you'll be amazed how quickly you convert, and as a consequence of playing walking lines on the EUB, my electric bass playing has improved to boot. There is a bit of snobbery about the Stagg driven mainly by the price, I mean if it only costs 'that' much it cant be very good can it? Well, its true that you have to change the strings and do a little bit of fettling (shielding the control cavity, foam to stop the end pin rattle, a damper of some description behind the bridge) but once you do this you'll have a very playable EUB that does a very convincing (to my ears anyway) DB. My advice is just do it, buy second hand and with the Stagg you can almost be guaranteed to get your money back if you find its not for you or want to progress to a DB and need to move it on,
[/quote]
Cheers mate for this i really appreciate your comment.
This post has just told me exactley what i wanted to hear. And i have definately made my mind up in regards to this new direction.

I believe we are all capable of a level of snobbery, i try not to be but i do without realising sometimes.