Why become a member? ×

Possible dipping toe in EUB water here

fumps

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1336425773' post='1645551']
Just ordered one from Andertons .
I hope I've done the right thing , I want to dip my toe in the upright scene and make myself a bit more giggable .
[/quote]

You won't regret it.

You'll not only become more giggable, you'll be a person! People will notice that you exist in the band and want to talk to you. For a bass player, it's pretty shocking at first, but you'll get to like it. :D

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1336555089' post='1647303']
You'll not only become more giggable, you'll be a person! People will notice that you exist in the band and want to talk to you. For a bass player, it's pretty shocking at first, but you'll get to like it. :D
[/quote]

Fatback speaks the truth. I regularly get recognised in most of the venues I play in, even when I'm not there with the band. Before I stated playing double bass, even my own bandmates didn't know who I was.

Take it easy. Stop if you need a rest, pick it up again in a couple of minutes, eventually you'll build your stamina up. Don't continue to play if you're fatigued though definitely do have that rest or you could start slipping into bad positions and hurting your tendons.

It does take some time to get comfortable and familiar with it. In the mean time enjoy the experience of getting any tune out of something so enormous, and take the opportunity to learn about less being more - given that you probably can't play many notes right now, make them good ones in good places. :)

Unless I missed a post, I'm surprised that there were so many suggestions of which bass to buy without anyone saying to just go have a taster lesson first. I had two lessons before deciding to buy a DB just to check that I got along with the beast before I put down the money.

Fumps, if you haven't bought the bass yet try and find a teacher local to you who you can spend an hour with. It might cost you £20 or so, but it'll help you make your mind up!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1337023540' post='1654273']
Take it easy. Stop if you need a rest, pick it up again in a couple of minutes, eventually you'll build your stamina up. Don't continue to play if you're fatigued though definitely do have that rest or you could start slipping into bad positions and hurting your tendons.

It does take some time to get comfortable and familiar with it. In the mean time enjoy the experience of getting any tune out of something so enormous, and take the opportunity to learn about less being more - given that you probably can't play many notes right now, make them good ones in good places. :)
[/quote]

Cheers mate sounds like good advice .
Any good beginner books , DVDs regarding thumb positions and exercises to build the coordination ?

I used Todd Phillips' [color=#333333][font=arial, sans-serif][left]Essential Techniques for Acoustic Bass DVD. Helped a lot with finger positions. And as [/left][/font][/color][b][color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3][b]thisnameistaken said, build things up slowly. When you start running for the first time you can't run a marathon. [/b][/size][/font][/color][/b]

[quote name='blamelouis' timestamp='1337020499' post='1654191']
Well it arrived .
Lovely instrument BUT Jesus it feels like I'm fighting it !
Any tips for getting the hang of it ?
I'm trying scales and yesterday put the iPod on and played along but even getting through one song without stopping is tough lol !
[/quote]

+1 to taking it easy, and don't worry it's meant to be tough! I'm enjoying the physicality of it.

Also, have a play of your bass guitar. You'll be amazed at how easy it is,and you'll get a boost from that. Playing upright will definitely improve your BG playing, so worth it for that alone.

Hang on in there!

Well guys I'm extremely excited to tell you all that i will be picking up a stagg electric upright bass this evening!!!!

******Runs into distance******
NEW BASS!!!!

******Runs back up close*****

NEW UPRIGHT BAAAAAAAAS

Sorry i am like a giddy kipper today !

I know the feeling, I picked up a EUB on Tuesday and was bouncing around the house like a kid on Christmas eve. My better half thought I was losing my mind.

Believe me, two days later and I am still giddy with excitement every time I look at it, its a great feeling!

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1337245538' post='1657569']
I know the feeling, I picked up a EUB on Tuesday and was bouncing around the house like a kid on Christmas eve. My better half thought I was losing my mind.

Believe me, two days later and I am still giddy with excitement every time I look at it, its a great feeling!
[/quote]

I was running round last night playing silly buggers with the dogs & dancing with them.........i've even made room for it to live in .....Hayley already knows i lost my mind she stopped worrying years ago lol

[quote name='NJE' timestamp='1337245538' post='1657569']

[/quote]

Glad you're enjoying it.
It's kind of odd seeing the empty space where it was kept.

[quote name='Hector' timestamp='1337249159' post='1657656']
Haha, fantastic! Hope you enjoy it.....

I dig this thread, wonderful to see so many getting a buzz out of DB/EUB playing. It's been four years, and I still have a little grin on my face every time I pick it up :gas:
[/quote]
To be fair i still smile when i pick up my Bass guitar, I'm deeply in love with my Bass as I'm one of them lucky people who have found a bass that suits my playing & hand size perfectly, Its a beautiful bass..........but now with the upright as well it's like i have the exact dream set up i've always wanted.

I used to think that an upright was always an unattainable dream & tonight i finally get to not only have a go with one......it's coming home with me afterwards.....yipee.......is it uncool to cuddle an upright?

Added to this my bass guitar is white & my upright will be black (I have a weird thing about black & white patterns) ......almost too perfect.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1337250854' post='1657737']
only one word to say frumps [size=6]S[/size][size=6]TAGG [/size]
[/quote]

I think i am so excited it warrants a fire engine impression

**cough**

Neeeeee noooooorrrr neeeeee nooooooorrr

**takes bow**

Aww, so glad to see I'm not the only one jumping around for joy like an overxcited kid every time I receive a new baby. I did just that when I got my NXT 5 a few weeks ago, and something not dissimilar when I took delivery of the HB upright.

Enjoy! Music is good for the body and mind. :)