Why become a member? ×

How To Buy a Double Bass

TheG

Hi there.

Im trying to find myself a solid wood double bass and have tried basses for sale in shops (around Midlands, Stafford, Oxford) and also tried out several friends basses for comparison. I've tried around 30 basses old and new and none of them (for sale) really grab me. Actually a few have come close.

I play Jazz and have got an old Checkoslovakian plywood bass that people have said sounds good which it does but it has its limitations, it doesn't sing out and its sound is all on one level. Its got a pretty good punchy low mid sound but thats all it does.

[b]So the thing is this:[/b]

People say buy older basses as they have been played in. However all the older basses in the shops haven't really sounded that great. Possibly because they haven't been played for a while? Or the strings may be for orchestral use? etc, etc?

The basses that have come close have all been new basses. But they haven't been played in and so I wont know if the sound will change detrimentally, to me personally, over time.

The best basses have been my friends played in basses. But they aren't for sale.

Is there anyone here with experience of buying or trying basses that can give me a few pointers in the right direction?

Bassace (Oxfordshire) had a Meinel for sale last year:
http://basschat.co.uk/topic/127352-eberhard-meinel-34-double-bass-for-sale/page__p__1164764__hl__meinel__fromsearch__1#entry1164764
I just looked and there was no conclusion to the thread.. mebbe drop him a line?
I suspect you'll only find one by playing as many as you can get to! :rolleyes:

Hi hubrad, Bassace was selling an Upton recently and although he had already sold it (pending payment) he kindly offered that I could still come down to have a look at his other basses too. So I have been to see him and a thoroughly nice chap too. He had an Upton, a Thomas Martin and a Paul Bryant Bass which all sounded great.

I went to see Paul Bryant but sound of the bass wasn't for me. This is why I am confused because I know Bassace loves his Bryant and it is a well respected brand from what I've read. So it must be me?

Can basses made by the same maker have a consistent sound or is each bass different even by the same maker?

Yes, I somehow regret selling the Meinel especially as I've got to factor in £1600 'income' in my end-of-year accounts. It was nice to see TheG a week ago and talk basses with him. I've also had a visit from jwbassman who has gone on to buy a Martin and spencer.b who brought along his old german for a compare and contrast. There's a guy who knows his stuff.

Getting back to the bass business, if there was the 'perfect bass' there wouldn't be the need for so much buying and selling. There are so many variables, particularly with regard to strings. Unless the bass you are going to see has your 'usual' strings fitted you will find it difficult to get a valid comparison. Factor in the room setting - always try a bass in a carpetless room if you can - and all the variables you will find on a gig, it is hardly surprising that one day the bass will be a swan and yet on another day it could well be a duck.

The only advice I can offer is to go and see as many basses as you can and one day you might find 'that' bass. And, yes, basses certainly do vary within the same workshop that is what makes them all so interesting - and frustrating at the same time.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1332619116' post='1590868']
Hi there.

I play Jazz and have got an old Checkoslovakian plywood bass that people have said sounds good which it does but it has its limitations, it doesn't sing out and its sound is all on one level. Its got a pretty good punchy low mid sound but thats all it does.

Is there anyone here with experience of buying or trying basses that can give me a few pointers in the right direction?
[/quote]
Hi TheG
You might also consider a hybrid bass. It will be considerably cheaper and
will have most of the advantages of a fully carved bass and amplify really well. A good quality hybrid will 'beat the socks' of a mediocre carved.

Edited by marvin spangles

Hi Marvin I have got an old hybrid bass and I've never got on with it but it does need a bit of work to be honest. My plywood bass doesn't sound too bad really so I can see how a hybrid could work. I also realise now that its on a bass by bass and person by person basis.

Somewhere out there there is a bass looking for me and I for it.....!

Thanks for your advice Bassace too! Its great to talk to someone with so much knowledge you must be worn out with all this good advice you are giving. I think you deserve a holiday. And I think you should fund it by selling me your Bryant!

I know nothing.

But what I have worked out is that, unlike electric basses, each double bass seems unique. I know people who have had a great sounding bass that cost £50 and others that have been unhappy with their £10K bass. I also know that spending time with a bass will have some impact on its projection etc. Personally, I would rather just buy one and spend time playing it instead of driving around the country looking at them.

But that's me and I know nothing.

Yes I know what you mean Bilbo that is good too. All the points people have raised are leading to the same thing really as there is no definitive answer really. Also the people in the shops don't seem to have definitive answers either.

I suppose it doesn't help that each player will sound different on the same bass!

I played with a guy called Simon Spillett the other day and I asked him about his saxes and the one he uses currently (a Selmer mk6). He said that when he first got it he had to work hard at getting it to so sound how he wanted over time. So even these sought after saxes can sound good and bad.

I am going to a couple of shops in London this week that I have arranged to go and see already and after that I think I will be able to make my mind up to be honest with what I've seen so far and the advice given on here.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1332775373' post='1592927']

Somewhere out there there is a bass looking for me and I for it.....!

[/quote]

Yes I agree . I am on the hunt for another bass too ( mainly for classical music but if it does both then happy days). I have a hybrid that I use for Jazz that no bass has come close to as yet. It's a La Scala model put together by Arnold Schnitzer in NY. I also have a bass which I use for classical gigs that although a great bass is not MY Bass. Good luck with your journey . Keep us posted.

[quote name='TheG' timestamp='1332791745' post='1593250']
Just looked up La Scala and they do look very nice. So did you just order it online or did you buy it over here and did you get to try one first?
[/quote]
Crazy as it may seem I bought it sight unseen based on all the hype on Talk Bass. A fool and his money are easy parted.
However it was the best decision I have ever made bass wise. The only downside was the price because the $ 6200 price became £5000 when you key in Customs, VAT , flights etc. I got it in 2007 Still love it. However if you are after your 'Dream' bass I'd take my time and try out as many basses as possible. You can check out Talkbass.com for other opinions on the New Standard Basses. If you ever visit N Ireland you are more than welcome to try the La Scala.

Hi G,

I'm selling my old German solid wood bass - it has good projection, I just reduced the asking price to around the 3K figure - it was at 3500K but I could do with shifting it pretty soon.

Built in Full Circle pick-up & I've been playing it for around 7 years, so it's very well played in. I have recordings of it in various jazz/pop records if you'd like to hear it.

Cheers,

E

[b]I've recently bought a very nice fully carved bass from Tim Batchelar in Leicester - set up exactly how I wanted it (though as I'm new to DB I can't claim expert knowledge!) - he's reasonably close to you and very informative to chat to.[/b]

[b]Nigel[/b]

Could be a bargain here - worth a drive to Leicester?

[u]Student Double Bass[/u]
By Andreas Zeller
All the basses in this range are hand crafted in Rumania exclusively using ebony fittings throughout. Individually setup and voiced by Timothy Batchelar in his Leicester workshop to his own exacting standards. These instruments come in three specifications:
Laminated front, swell back and ribs £900 inc VAT (out of stock)
Solid European spruce top with laminated swell back and ribs £1,075 inc VAT (out of stock)
Solid European spruce and solid maple flat back and ribs £1,400 inc VAT
[color=#FF0000]1 only ex rental now in stock @ only £750 !!![/color]

Yes thanks for the tips it would be great to have a chat with someone like that as well.

I feel I am gaining more knowledge as time goes on and i try different basses. Like for instance I know a bit more about, and get to try, the different strings that each bass has on which i wouldn't have known a few months back at all.

it's a nightmare isn't it, I'm looking for a new bass at the moment and I know what you mean about the good ones not being for sale.
There's a guy in essex called Martyn Bailey who makes basses and he imports Jay Haide basses from china and I was very impressed with those, think thy're about £5500,
Maybe checkout upton basses, I was really impressed with the one bassace was selling and the hybrid one on youtube sounds great
some people i speak to are of the opinion that at the moment you can get more value with a modern instrument particulaly one made where labour is cheap ie. Hungary or china but I'm not sure where i stand on this as I'm currently very tempted by a relatively inexpensive old german flatback
all the best with the search

I also really like Martyn's jay Haide basses. They are set up fantastically and his machines are superb.

Ive just been to see Kai Dase in Nottingham for a bow repair and would also advise checking out his basses. He has some great new handmade German basses for about 4.5k. They all sound great and a couple really stood out. He has a 5 string, a couple of 5/8s, a few 3/4 and a great 4/4. He also knows how to set up basses properly and is an honest guy who's passionate about his work.

http://kaidaseviolins.com/instruments/double-basses/

• 3 weeks later...

Well after many sleepless nights and several tanks of expensive fuel later I finally decided on the bass for me and bought it. It is a Jay Haide French Quenoil - Model L'Ancienne. It has an excellent sound both full bodied and has a singing quality my previous bass just didn't have. I love it!

It was one of the first basses I liked actually but don't regret going round and trying all the other 39 basses I tried which was a great experience. I met and spoke to some cool people along the way from this forum too.

I would like to say thanks for all the advice that was given to me on here (all of it). I was apprehensive about starting to look for a bass as I knew it wouldn't be straight forward so you all helped me find my way.

Really pleased with the bass which I bought from Tim Toft in Stone, Staffordshire who were very accommodating indeed. They even adjusted and fitted my underwood to a couple of basses just so I could try them out amplified as well.

The photos don't do it justice really. Its got sloping shoulders making getting up to thumb position very comfortable indeed.

I was thinking of posting a thread of all the places I visited mainly around the Midlands area and London as I had to hunt them down myself.

Anyway thanks again!

Mike

Glad to know that your many hundreds of miles journey has found you a good bass that you will be at one with. You have shown a lot of patience - that we don't all share! - in trying as many basses as you can and waiting until the right one has been found. It was good to meet you in your travels and hope we meet again at one of the festivals so I can see your new acquisition.

Now wait for an explosion of interest in Jay Haide basses!

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1335194449' post='1627002']
There's one on eBay at the moment that nobody's taken much interest in. It's a bit expensive for me at the moment but looks a nice bass.
[/quote]

Having seen the damage I'd want a luthier to give me a repair quote first.

Steve