Why become a member? ×

amplification / feedback woes*NOW CURED*

artisan

Plugging holes is a much cheaper and more immediate solution, buit in the long run you might find that experimenting with pickups is worthwhile too.

I couldn't believe what a duifference it made on my bass. Bassmax and Fishman were feedback hell. Full Circle is almost immune (with a little notch filtering).

Different for every bass I guess, and an expensive process no doubt about it.

Trying pickups and pre's is an expensive hobby, particularly if the only reason you are going through hoops is down to loud drummers and guitarists who cant play quiet.

Jazz and folk upright players generally don’t have feedback problems, it's mainly the poor sods who are trying to compete with band members who don’t appreciate what an upright bass should sound like and really only want to hear an electric.

I've had a guitarist band leader insist on upright bass and after a request that maybe we turn down bit i get "sorry mate i dont do quiet" brought my Fender to the next gig and that's the last one i did.

The louder you go with upright the more it has to sound like an electric, i think that's what the pickups that are less prone to feedback do, my Schatten RB1 is great but it's very middy and electric sounding, no one notices or cares at high sound levels tho, the main object is that it doesn't feedback.

• 1 month later...

I did a gig last saturday,the 1st one with a drummer for a while & had major feedback problems all night,ended up with pretty much no bottom end on my bass which sounded crap,stressed out you bet i was.
i'd not got around to plugging the f holes as i was managing fine without a drummer but now he's back i'm going to get the gaffa out & try it for this saturdays gig,fingers crossed.
my bass is only a cheapo Strunal but it sounds mega & has a really resonant body,plays a treat too.
if it's a success i'll have a go at making some of those covers.

Edited by artisan

For what it's worth, I have tried several amplification setups for my 1960 German Blonde. I hate clicky piezos as a result, tried several with different mixers. I have now settled on a Schaller magnetic fingerboard pickup and an AKG 211p contact mic on the sound board below the bridge. I use Thomastik Spirocore medium strings. Lots of learning included the finding that the bridge has its own annoying resonant frequency that colours any pickup from it terribly. I use a Bose ToneMatch mixer with lots of compression on the Schaller channel and little on the AKG channel. Mixing them sensitively gives me good arco and nice pizzi with overtones from fingerboard etc. For amplification I use Phil Jones Suitcase (250W) plus aux feed from mixer going into 2 x Bose L1s with 2 x bass bins each that we use for PA (approx 750W each). No problems with feedback, no problem with keeping up with our loud drummer and meaty Hammond. Just expensive.

well last saturday we had another gig & try as i might i had bad feedback problems,so out came a roll of bright orange gaffa tape (thanks fumps) six layers of said tape later - absolutley no feedback what so ever + the best bass sound i ever had :)
mind it looked a bugger blue burst bass + orange tape = yuck but who cares it did the job.
i've now got some pretty dense black foam so a set of f hole covers will be a permanent fixture on my bass from now on.

as for amp's i'm very happy with my Roland its plenty loud enough & handles all the bass i can throw at it.

Edited by artisan

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='3below' timestamp='1340389296' post='1704013']
Beg or borrow and try a different pickup system. I use a Schaller on my db. Can get immense volume with no feedback (but I might just be lucky).
[/quote]
is that a magnetic pickup ?
i am considering going magnetic as i'm getting a tad pissed off fighting feedback at every gig.

If I get round to changing the dodgy cable on it I've a kent armstrong PU you're welcome to borrow for a couple of weeks if you want to try it (it's best held on with gaffa tape - yay!) I can probably rustle up some thomastiks as well if you're stuck for strings

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1341321383' post='1716956']
If I get round to changing the dodgy cable on it I've a kent armstrong PU you're welcome to borrow for a couple of weeks if you want to try it (it's best held on with gaffa tape - yay!) I can probably rustle up some thomastiks as well if you're stuck for strings
[/quote]

awesome that is a very very kind of you good sir & one i may very well take up,many thanks you are a star.

:edit unless i get carried away & just buy something :)
although i may just move the bassmax to the G string side of the bridge first & see if that helps at my next gig,suspect it won't mind.

Edited by artisan

The preamp I use with my Full Circle has a phase switch when I'm in a room that tries to feed back. It helps greatly. I also keep the brown washcloth I use to wipe down the neck in the f-hole closer to the amplifier. Finally, my Full Circle is mounted "upside down" (see the Fishman web site), which takes some of the edge and quack out of the sound. I don't have feedback problems.

As far as the drummer playing too loudly, don't go there. Play softer instead. This will make the rest of the band get on to the drummer to back off.

well my bass is taking a trip to my local luthier for a second soundpost & a set of custom f-hole covers fitting so i'm hoping that will sort out my feedback woes as i really love the sound of my bass (when it's not howling like a bastard)

• 4 weeks later...

well my bass is now sporting a rather nice set of removable f-hole covers & a 2nd sound post via Jim Fleeting in Ripon.
i won't have chance to try it in a band situation until next thursday but i'm hoping its cured the feedback issues & it certainly looks a damn site better than the bright orange gaffa tape did.
another plus for me, as i live in a sh*tty little terraced house with paper thin walls,is the bass is acoustically much quieter now so i can slap the crap out of it without upsetting my neighbours.

had a rehearsal last night at reasonable volume levels,no feedback at all even when i lent my bass on my amp which amazed me,i'll see how it goes next saturday at full gig volume,but so far i'm very pleased.

Slobluesine i promise i will get my finger out & take some pics of my covers for you.

Edited by artisan

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1344458123' post='1765002']
Is the damping on the string afterlength another anti-feedback measure?
[/quote]

indeed it is good sir,not sure if it makes any difference really but it was the first thing i tried,there's a small piece of dense foam wedged under the tail piece too.

[quote name='slobluesine' timestamp='1344502072' post='1765401']
they work a treat don't they, some folks say you only need one side plugged, gonna get me a spare set made, has the guitar player told you to turn down yet B)
[/quote]
:tatice_03: I'd gob him if he did :) its nice for the boot to be on the other foot for a change.
they work really well but i've also got the second sound post too which makes my bass quiet acoustically,which is much better for home practice,but it sounds just the same through the amp.

just a quick update,last saturday we supported the boom town rats at Ripley village hall through a full pro' p.a. rig complete with on stage monitors,no feedback from my bass what so ever & shook the room to its foundations too.
my bass sounded awesome & i got some nice comments on the tone,so i'm a very happy bunny indeed.
a massive thumbs up to a second sound post & f-hole covers from me :)