Why become a member? ×

Dr Bass Cabs

The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='18138' date='Jun 15 2007, 11:32 AM']Hi guys

I'm intrigued by Dr Bass cabs. They're light and cheap, and they have decent reviews on those American forums. I was just wondering if anyone here has any actual experience of them.

Thanks[/quote]

Hi
No experience but i was going to order one earlier this year. I emailed them a few times and was all set but i believe they have quite a long delivery time. Mainly i think that they are over worked but looking around on TB sort of put me off.

Bassjamm has a couple and I have had a go with them at the bash - they sounded brilliant to my ears but obviously not ideal testing conditions - later in the evening I had a chance to play his lovely ken Smith through them in what was by then a quiet room and they sounded really full. Apparently they are quite difficult to get hold of.. Jamie will no doubt fill us in!

I did contact the guy in charge a while ago and he was quite helpful. It does seem like there's a team of basically 1 or 2 people building them. That means quality control ought to be fantastic but that it might be a long wait. I don't mind waiting a long-ish amount of time so long as I get something that does everything I wanted it for.

What was it on TB that put you off? Were people grumbling basically about the long wait or were there other problems?

[quote name='The Funk' post='18282' date='Jun 15 2007, 02:11 PM']I did contact the guy in charge a while ago and he was quite helpful. It does seem like there's a team of basically 1 or 2 people building them. That means quality control ought to be fantastic but that it might be a long wait. I don't mind waiting a long-ish amount of time so long as I get something that does everything I wanted it for.

What was it on TB that put you off? Were people grumbling basically about the long wait or were there other problems?[/quote]

No, it was just the wait. plus as im in the Uk i figured there would be an even longer wait due to shipping.
All reviews say they are good, cheap cabs.

[quote name='Dragonlord' post='18343' date='Jun 15 2007, 03:47 PM']Well, to tell you the truth I doubt it will still be cheap after overseas shipping and import taxes. If someone has a shipping quote, please enlighten us![/quote]

Well compared to a lot of the USA makes like Epifani they are cheap IMHO.

If you disregard the shipping as it will be around the same on any same sized cab from the states then the basic cost of the DR Bass cab looks like a good deal to me.

Shipping was pretty low. I had a quote for two cabs - can't remember what it came to.

I remember working out that I could get a Dr Bass 2x10 and 1x15 + 22.5% Customs/VAT + shipping from the US and it would work out at around the same price as the Hartke 2.5XL and 115XL I'd just bought.

When I say cheap, they are CHEAP. $280 = less than £150. That's still under £250-300 with shipping and tax added. So £5-600 for 2 lightweight cabs. Less than the cost of one cab with the Epifani or Eden badge on it.

You see why I'm tempted?

[quote name='The Funk' post='18373' date='Jun 15 2007, 04:19 PM']Shipping was pretty low. I had a quote for two cabs - can't remember what it came to.

I remember working out that I could get a Dr Bass 2x10 and 1x15 + 22.5% Customs/VAT + shipping from the US and it would work out at around the same price as the Hartke 2.5XL and 115XL I'd just bought.

When I say cheap, they are CHEAP. $280 = less than £150. That's still under £250-300 with shipping and tax added. So £5-600 for 2 lightweight cabs. Less than the cost of one cab with the Epifani or Eden badge on it.

You see why I'm tempted?[/quote]

Agreed.
when i got my 1210 last year from Jorg i paid £580 all in. managed to get out of paying VAT but that would have come to around £57-£60.
when i got my UL212 last month the cheapest i could get it for, from the Sates was around £700 inc shipping but not VAT etc. Even getting it from Italy cost £780 so for two cabs from the states for £600 i would say thats a very good deal.

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='18426' date='Jun 15 2007, 05:07 PM']Their 2x12 cab is basically the same dimensions and set-up as the EBS 2x12 that I used to own but at 1/3 of the price (even taking into account taxes and delivery)![/quote]

The BL212 was the cab i wanted. Very close to the UL212, probably better made as well and at $459 compared to $999 for the UL its a bargin.

[quote name='lukeward2004' post='20239' date='Jun 19 2007, 03:31 PM']Actually, how lightweight are these DR Bass Cabs?

Id be keen to find out some more info - do they have a website? Do they have a website? Do they make a 4x10?

Just curious....[/quote]

Here you go

[url="http://www.drbasscabs.com/"]Dr Bass[/url]

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...