Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use on your P-Bass

JayPH

it was designed for flat wounds wasn't it?

I've got DR Fat beams on mine- lots of low end but a bit of treble from steels too.... except they must be a year and a half old now and just sound amazing- big fat and thumpy but not as much as flats would be...

I had DR hi-beams on my P and now I have elderly rotosound roundwounds for a flatwound-ish sound but with a bit more presence. Flatwounds can sound good if you are playing through your own amp on stage but if you ever go through a PA be aware the sound engineer will more than likely EQ them like roundwounds and make them sound woolly and indistinct.

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1333815539' post='1606927']
...if you ever go through a PA be aware the sound engineer will more than likely EQ them like roundwounds and make them sound woolly and indistinct.
[/quote]

Good call, I found it necessary to 'discuss' this with our 'engineer'.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1333960329' post='1608639']
Looks like baby jesus? :huh:

What`s the difference between the La Bella FS and FM strings then?
I`m tottering on the brink of flats for the first time in my life also.
So many strings,so little time.
[/quote]

760FS = .45-105 , 'standard' gauge, black silks
760FM = 49-109 , medium' gauge , light blue silks

Looks like baby jesus? :huh:
[/quote]

In keeping with the celebration of the resurrection of the LORD. :lol:

What`s the difference between the La Bella FS and FM strings then?
[/quote]

La Bella make FX, FL FS and FM which increase in tension throught the range, as far as I can make out. There was a thread on TalkBass stating that if you go for FMs you may have to adjust your truss rod, but I can't confirm that.

I'm using 760FLs and they seem very balanced and even with a nice low-mid 'tone'. Can we say 'tone', now? :unsure:. And they're [i]very [/i]smooth and shiny. I'm very impressed with them. :)

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333965585' post='1608718']
In keeping with the celebration of the resurrection of the LORD. :lol:

[b]You mean Morrissey has a new CD out?[/b]

La Bella make FX, FL FS and FM which increase in tension throught the range, as far as I can make out. There was a thread on TalkBass stating that if you go for FMs you may have to adjust your truss rod, but I can't confirm that.

I'm using 760FLs and they seem very balanced and even with a nice low-mid 'tone'. Can we say 'tone', now? :unsure:. And they're [i]very [/i]smooth and shiny. I'm very impressed with them. :)
[/quote]
Ta for that, I`m in. Black silks ..yum.

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1333924953' post='1608429']
DR Sunbeams on all my Ps - if you like them on your Jazz, ypu'll like them on your P: why not just try swapping a set over before you buy?
[/quote]

Sounds good to me. I've just ordered a new set for the J so I'll put the old set on the P before I fork out for somthing else. Saw a thing on ThinterWebs saying cleaning them with meths brings them out like new and doesnt rust them. Cheers ;)

[quote name='Dave Tipping' timestamp='1333836895' post='1607299']
It totally depends what you want .. my current band plays in a drop tuning and I find newish heavy guage roundwounds give me exactly what I need.
[/quote]

True. I'll leave what evers on em at first then try the old rounds off the J and go from there. I think even with rounds on it must have more oomph than the J but I've been wrong before :)