Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use on your P-Bass

JayPH

Fender 7250 Nickel plated steel rounds. 45 - 105. I like the bright rock tone but without suffering from steels eating my frets (like the Rotos do).
I find the tension to be good, and balanced across the strings.
13 quid a set too.

I used to like Rotosound RS55LD strings too - a bit of a halfway between rounds and flats. May go back to them one day.

Flats would probably kill my 'live' tone, so never even tried them.

Some random cheapos for now, they sound damn good but barely last a 3/4 weeks. Likely to stick with my usual Ernie Balls like i have on my Jazz after i run out of these (My uncle gave me about 7 sets when i bought my P off him).

I used a set of Picato flats when i was borrowing my mates P/J which sounded good, but as has been mentioned previously in this thread, the engineer EQ'd them like rounds at the gig i played, so they sounded pretty shi*te.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

Chromes on mine at the moment. I prefer nicks but every now and then i go through a Flats phase. It normally starts of with Chromes as they are quite bright compared to a lot of flats, then after a while ill probably put a set of TI's back on, and then get fed up with the lack of over tones and go back to rounds for a few months.

I have just discovered the benefit of using a foam mute so maybe the flats will last a bit longer this time.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1333965585' post='1608718']There was a thread on TalkBass stating that if you go for FMs you may have to adjust your truss rod, but I can't confirm that.
[/quote]

You should tweak your truss rod whether you change to a set of higher or lower tension strings if you want your bass playing at its best.

Surprised nobody had mentioned TI (Thomastik Infeld) Flats! My favourite strings on a P by far, got some LaBellas on there right now but planning on switching back at some point.

[quote name='dannybuoy' timestamp='1334870310' post='1622817']
You should tweak your truss rod whether you change to a set of higher or lower tension strings if you want your bass playing at its best.

Surprised nobody had mentioned TI (Thomastik Infeld) Flats! My favourite strings on a P by far, got some LaBellas on there right now but planning on switching back at some point.
[/quote]
I've used Thomastik flats a lot and I do like them but hooked on La Bellas at the the moment.

Fender 9050 flats, 100-50 gauge.
Lovely.
(Although at present due to an experiment they are both sporting status hotwire flats 105-45, I do not like them, though the black silks look cool on the black bass)
I like the fenders on my green bass cos they have green silks as well.... :)

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1334871076' post='1622828']
I've used Thomastik flats a lot and I do like them but hooked on La Bellas at the the moment.
[/quote]
I've gone the other way! Taken La Bellas off my '51P & tried TI Jazz Flats. Only had them on a week but don't think they feel right for me. They're a bit lightweight by comparison, not by gauge by sound, a bit twangy or too bright.

I think they will be more suited to a Jazz bass I've just acquired :happy: so I'll be fitting my long time favourites - GHS Precision Flats - to my '51P & stringing up the '62 Jazz with the TI's.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1334915581' post='1623330']
I've gone the other way! Taken La Bellas off my '51P & tried TI Jazz Flats. Only had them on a week but don't think they feel right for me. They're a bit lightweight by comparison, not by gauge by sound, a bit twangy or too bright.

I think they will be more suited to a Jazz bass I've just acquired :happy: so I'll be fitting my long time favourites - GHS Precision Flats - to my '51P & stringing up the '62 Jazz with the TI's.

Cheerz, John
[/quote]

Good choice. I have my P's strung with La Bella's and my Jazz strung with TI's, Good call the jazz and TI's they are definately a good match.
I haven't been able to try the GHS Precision Flats yet, but they are on my list of must tries. Wonder how they would sound on a Ray? I have TI's on it atm, even tho it sounds good they could also be just a little too brite for my tastes. No rounds for me thank-you!

[quote name='Highfox' timestamp='1334928559' post='1623611']
Good choice. I have my P's strung with La Bella's and my Jazz strung with TI's, Good call the jazz and TI's they are definately a good match.
I haven't been able to try the GHS Precision Flats yet, but they are on my list of must tries. Wonder how they would sound on a Ray? I have TI's on it atm, even tho it sounds good they could also be just a little too brite for my tastes. No rounds for me thank-you!
[/quote]

Do flats sound ok on a jazz bass?

Today I've done a complete set-up with TI Jazz Flats on my new '62 Jazz & I have to say it is absolutely superb :gas: a match made in bass heaven B)

I also fitted a new set of GHS Precision flats to my '51 P & hey presto equilibrium is restored, TI's didn't suit it at all IMHO :happy:

Yes strings are such a major part of the whole,
Cheerz, John

I've just ordered a set of Status Black Nylon strings and also a set of Status Flats for my BB400s (P type bass) just to try. I have no experience of Status strings or black nylon so I'll post some clips when I get them.

Anyone have any input on Status flats or nylons?