Why become a member? ×

What strings do you use on your P-Bass

JayPH

[quote name='JayPH' timestamp='1333836598' post='1607297']
Cheers all. Some for me to look for. Is it fair to say that most p-bass players use flats or worn rounds?
[/quote]

Probably not. (Ducks in advance)..

Depends on whether you're a Jamerson or a JJ,really.I've gone back to using Fenders on one P,and DR Black Beauties on the other.Which,frankly,is because they're black.

• 6 months later...

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1334914757' post='1623303']
Fender 9050 flats, 100-50 gauge.
Lovely.
(Although at present due to an experiment they are both sporting status hotwire flats 105-45, I do not like them, though the black silks look cool on the black bass)
I like the fenders on my green bass cos they have green silks as well.... :)
[/quote]

I´ve used the 9050s for a few years, was actually considering trying HotWire Flats because it looks like they have lower tension the the Fenders and are well priced. I´m curious, what is it you don't like about them? Are they lower tension than the 9050s?

Thanks

[quote name='RambleOn' timestamp='1352075793' post='1858552']
I´ve used the 9050s for a few years, was actually considering trying HotWire Flats because it looks like they have lower tension the the Fenders and are well priced. I´m curious, what is it you don't like about them? Are they lower tension than the 9050s?

Thanks
[/quote]

They are quite sticky, seem to be higher tension (Compliance, before BRX comes in and says it) and one of them has broken on my P-bass while it's been sat in its case doing nothing. Fenders are also brighter and have a bit of zing in them still.

I've bought some earnie ball slinkies for my squire P bass but only as an experiment in changing the strings for the first time. If I get it right, then I'll get some good strings for my Fender P Bass.... Maybe elixirs as they seem to have a good write up but I've never tried flats and don't know how they'd feel different to playing with round wound ..l don't know how different they'd sound either but the plan is to get the best sounding playing strings for the fender P but I'm not sure if that is like looking for the holy grail?

I`ve just aquired a new P-Bass, and it had D`Addario rounds on it. Think they were regular gauge, but, well uuurrrggghhh. far too zingy for me.

So far, dead Roto rounds just work for me. i really wish I could get on with flats, but they just don`t feel right.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1352792974' post='1867384']
I`ve just aquired a new P-Bass, and it had D`Addario rounds on it. Think they were regular gauge, but, well uuurrrggghhh. far too zingy for me.

So far, dead Roto rounds just work for me. i really wish I could get on with flats, but they just don`t feel right.
[/quote]

I'm the opposite and like a bright sound. I'm currently usig very 'zingy' D'Addario Pro Steels. I like them a lot new and they sound good played in too.
I was using DR Black Beauties for a couple of years and they were a great match. Recent batches were arriving with dead out of the packet G strings and the rest sounded pretty flat too. Went off far too quickly. This coincided with the new 'improved' coating Not worth the cost any more for dodgy quality control.
New Rotosounds always sound good to me. I know they get a bad press on here though.
Next up for trying will be Labella Hard Rocking Steels. I've found nickel strings don't sound right to me in the band mix.

Ive got another set of DR Black Beauties (the first set ive brought new).

Ive tried hard to get on with the new EB Cobalt strings but each time i put them on they come off after one gig. Great sounding strings at home but i feel they lack definition and punch live. A bit too scooped and bright.
Ive used the same rig for more or less 5 years so im used to how my bass sounds, and how different it sounds when i change strings. I do use flats every now and then, just for a change, but i always go back to rounds. The BB's are the first string ive had for years that just sound "right" to me with my rig, and more so on my P than my Jazz.

[quote name='Low End Bee' timestamp='1352798311' post='1867437']
I'm the opposite and like a bright sound. I'm currently usig very 'zingy' D'Addario Pro Steels. I like them a lot new and they sound good played in too.
I was using DR Black Beauties for a couple of years and they were a great match. Recent batches were arriving with dead out of the packet G strings and the rest sounded pretty flat too. Went off far too quickly. This coincided with the new 'improved' coating Not worth the cost any more for dodgy quality control.
New Rotosounds always sound good to me. I know they get a bad press on here though.
Next up for trying will be Labella Hard Rocking Steels. I've found nickel strings don't sound right to me in the band mix.
[/quote]

Haha, you were trying this at the same time i was typing my prise for BB's.
I must admit im not sure if my old set had the old style coating on them. I think they did. Ive not yet put the new K3 versions on but im hoping i get on with them more than i did with the K3 Neons i had a couple of years ago. They felt very rough and brittle.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1352798507' post='1867441']
Haha, you were trying this at the same time i was typing my prise for BB's.
I must admit im not sure if my old set had the old style coating on them. I think they did. Ive not yet put the new K3 versions on but im hoping i get on with them more than i did with the K3 Neons i had a couple of years ago. They felt very rough and brittle.
[/quote]

I had one good 'K3' set out of four and that set went dull after a couple of weeks! Might have been a dodgy batch, but it put me off them. Especially at the price. I would have been happy to keep using them otherwise.

I must admit im not sure what a new set should sound like. My last set was brought off here, used. They never really sounded that bright, which is what i liked about them, but they are quite dull sounding now. Still usable.

As long as noting stands out as wrong im sure ill like the new ones. They do look great against a maple fret board :-)

Ive been happy with the old BB I had. They do sound dead compared to a fresh set of nickels but seemed to stay at a certain level. Still had harmonics and bite, just no zing or clank. Im not 100% on the G string on this set. Its definitely got less life in it but it seems to have a bit more thump than the G strings ive had in the past. Part of me says ive paid good money it should be right, but the other half is thinking it actually sounds better like this.