Why become a member? ×

Feeler: Would you buy a Musicman Sabre based preamp for £15? Update!

tommorichards

@Jack, i can supply the preamp with just two wires for the input instead of any blend/switch

@Silddx, the control options that they come with are as follows

Right now i am doing the following:

Stingray preamp with vol/treb/bass (3 pots)
Sabre preamp with vol/treb/bass + Bright switch (3 pots and switch)

With either:
-input only (two wires for pickup straight into the preamp)
-blend knob
-3 way switch

And thats about it for now, i cant really do stacked pots, as im just following the original layout. Im also building them in my spare time, so quick delivery may not be an option. I have 2 sabre boards finished waiting for the pots, so those should be out pretty soon after i receive the parts.

So there ye go! hope that helps. BTW, everyone who has sent me a PM, i have your "orders" written down, so i haven't forgot about you folks....

Edited by tommorichards

did i Pm you? can't remember if i did (and can't check as i'm on my mobile) if my name's not on this list should i pm to get in the queue? i'm up for either preamp as long as it has a blend pot (i would eventually love to have one of each but am a patient man and will happily wait my turn.)

matt

• 2 weeks later...

hmmm. After going over costs, i think £15 may have been a bit optimistic. I think it needs to be at least £20 which also includes p&p. Don't worry if you haven't read this, ill PM you the details when the preamp's are ready. If you feel its too much, then just let me know. Nothing here is written in stone.

Also, i have fully made 2 sabres, but am just troubleshooting the dam things as they are not acting responsibly, and being downright unmanageable. I also have a sabre board and a stingray board populated ready to be harnessed. Pic of them below:

I also have all of next week off from work in which i hope to finish the first run of preamps :D

So there's a little update for those of you still following this little thread.

Very tidy looking work Tom
Price is fine with me, still want a Sabre and a Stingray.
Is it possible to have the Sabre output wired to one of these Neutrik plugs?, as this fits the G&L body it will be living in
[url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/6.35mm-stereo-long-reach-chassis-socket-223988"]http://www.maplin.co...s-socket-223988[/url]
cheers
Harry

Edited by rubis

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I've not noticed this until now. I guess the fact that it's "Musicman" put me off. (They aren't to my taste).

Yet this preamp would work with anything wouldn't it?

After all, if you want this in a Jazz, all you need is:

1 - space to locate it.
2 - a pan control or 2 volumes on the input to the pre.
3 - connect the jack in the same way as the MM.

Some users might want to change the bass/treble or volume/blend to a stack pot.

It's simply a matter of "buyer beware", but there's not much risk.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

So, it's been a few years, and I'm too busy these days to make these anymore. But before I stopped making them, I bought all the parts needed for a second batch of around 5 sabre preamps and 3 or so stingray preamps. I think I spent around £120 on the parts for this. These include: all the required pots, jacks, 9v battery clips, all caps, chips, and resistors. 

Basically, as I dont have time to make these, in just going to sell the stock I have of parts to make them, (including two finished sabre boards). I could bundle them into kits, but I dont have the time to sort through them all to do it. If you're interested in buying the lot off me, send me a PM. I'd like £70 for them, which includes posting. To appease the moderators, I'll stick an ad in the for sale section for them.

• Thanks 1