Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamer Stage 1 problem

JJBass

I've had a Streamer Stage 1 for a couple of years now, was bought second hand but practically unused from the looks of it. It's been fantastic but about 2 months ago started making scratching noises occasionally when plugged in, lasting about 2/3 seconds. I assumed it was a dirty jack socket but switch cleaner didn't work. I've ruled out heads/cabs/leads etc as the problem, it's definately the bass.

It was getting more and more frequent so I had the jack socket replaced. Got it home and it's still having the same problem, albeit less frequently. I rang the luthier who'd replaced the jack who said he thought it might be a problem with the electronics? Anyone ever encountered something similar? Problem continues whether its in active or passive mode (push/pull volume pot).

If it is a problem with the preamp, is it worth me just replacing it with the same stock preamp or is there a worthwhile upgrade? I know a lot of Warwick users swap out the stock preamp and MEC pups.

I had the same problem with a Streamer S1. Sometimes it would "fuzz" for no reason - but I never pinned it down to a specific cause. Wasn't the socket, battery terminals were fine...so I gave up there and replaced the p/ups (EMG's) and pre (Aguilar OPB2). Sounds magnificent now.

I wouldn't bother replacing the MEC p/ups if you're happy with the basic sound - EMG's are a bit better (to me) but its not a huge change in tone. The preamp is a real improvement - but the bass cut on the OPB2 is a waste of time - more like a second volume control! If I did it again I'd go for either the OPB1 or 3 instead. I'd also consider a Bartolini preamp.

Good luck

BB