Why become a member? ×

Shep on Bass - Interviews about effects!

pantherairsoft

[quote name='the_krysh' timestamp='1335811758' post='1636464']

thanks, +1 and I hope you don't mind I share this again. :yarr:
[/quote]

Share away! The more shares the better! Btw - what is that forums actual website? My website logs it as a hit from the hosting server so it comes up as 'f3.webmart.de' - I found the forum by searching 'webmart.de bass forum' - but it gives me the webmart source address in my browser rather than the actual address (like 'basschat.co.uk' etc.)

Thanks guys!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1335813332' post='1636508']
Really interested in how he uses the Gameboy as an input!
[/quote]

Ste, I've just seem your comment on the blog. I've asked Oli if he can elaborate on it in reply to your comment...

UPDATE: Asked & answered!!

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1335817937' post='1636602']
This makes me want to do a side project with Oli! Amazing live act!!!
[/quote]
I think if you tried that the combined amount of effects would explode the minds of all your audience members.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1335819166' post='1636626']
I think if you tried that the combined amount of effects would explode the minds of all your audience members.
[/quote]

lol.
Cheers Shep. I've heard of this LSDJ thing before, and one of my favourite band's (Anamanguchi) actually use a similar thing but with a NES

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1335819166' post='1636626']
[/quote]

That was exactly the plan!!

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1335820308' post='1636666']
lol.
Cheers Shep. I've heard of this LSDJ thing before, and one of my favourite band's (Anamanguchi) actually use a similar thing but with a NES
[/quote]

LSDJ was a new one to me. Have been looking into it since Oli mentioned it.

Mainly a tool to make easy making chiptunes, I only really managed basic loops as even looking at the latest software it's not as straight forward, lots of wierd text etc, but sounds ace if you get it right. True Bit crushing.

Always wanted to try modding a gameboy as an effect pedal though, get some 4-bit broken fizzyness into the sound.

[quote name='Prime_BASS' timestamp='1335823934' post='1636740']
Always wanted to try modding a gameboy as an effect pedal though, get some 4-bit broken fizzyness into the sound.
[/quote]

And now you have a Geiger Counter so no need! :)

[quote name='woodyratm' timestamp='1335824769' post='1636752']
Awesome dude :) nice work once again
[/quote]

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Another? HELL YES!

I give you...

Antony Wright

PLEASE BE AWARE - MY WEBSITE IS NOW CLOSED. THE INTERVIEWS CAN NOW BE FOUND HERE -> [url="http://simonpoulton.tumblr.com/sheponbass"]http://simonpoulton.....com/sheponbass[/url]

Ant is the low end man from Leeds-based noise crew, Castrovalva, who have been making a serious splash on the UK music scene for a while with their fusion of sounds, which includes blending Rock & Metal tones with flavours of Dubstep & Grime.

You may also know him as regular Basschatter 'Ant' :-)

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1336818202' post='1651438']
awesome tunes, and a great sound. thanks for bringing Ant's stuff to my attention.

Sweet.
[/quote]

Pleasure. Ironically I had heard Castrovalva and loved the stuff for ages & I'd also dealt with Ant on here before - just never realised they were connected. It was actually Prime_BASS that suggested I interviewed Ant from Castrovalva as a big effects user from an act who are really making a name for themselves... then it all clicked into place! :)

[quote name='rOB' timestamp='1336818543' post='1651448']
Thanks Shep and Ant for this.
[/quote]

Thanks for taking the time to read it dude!

[quote name='Ant' timestamp='1336824204' post='1651566']
Hope everyone's enjoying my weird little set up!! Thanks again to shep for taking his time to interview me and all you dudes for reading it
[/quote]
I've gotta get myself one of those bass distortions, they sound awesome.

Sweet! Great interview (from both sides).

How do you get time to work, practice, play gigs, write a blog, interview folk AND keep the wife happy?
I'm struggling to do more than 1 of those at any one time just now (& only managing to go to work & keep the wife happy).

Well - I have a very supportive wife who wants me to do music. I now work part-time with her support (mentally and financially), which gives us time to do all rehearsing and practising as Our Helical Mind during the daytimes during the week. That means no rehearsals in the evenings.

We tend to gig infrequently but hype and promote the shows a lot. This has worked well for us. We never play in our home town more than once every 2 months so people really want to come out again. Maybe 2 shows a month max around the UK... Often just one show. It means we concentrate on making the material amazing and never play anything that isn't bang on - also it means we spend so much time bouncing stuff off each other that when we do live improv' it just feels natural. I'd like to gig more - but this works for us.

So except for the odd gig, I tend to have all my evenings free to spend with the wife/do other hobbies/write the blog etc. The Blog is taking a lot of time since the interviews have taken off and I haven't spent a whole day with my good lady in a few weeks... But as we spend most evenings together it works. While I 'work' part time, it's to make something of music so I do something every day... Either my actual job, or playing music, or writing the blog. It's full on - but in a motivating/non-pressured way.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Time for another interview.

This time it is the pedal genius that is Max Greco of sfx sound.

PLEASE BE AWARE - MY WEBSITE IS NOW CLOSED. THE INTERVIEWS CAN NOW BE FOUND HERE -> [url="http://simonpoulton.tumblr.com/sheponbass"]http://simonpoulton.....com/sheponbass[/url]

Max is becoming a household name around these parts and some of his designs and solutions to musicians problems are really astounding. I was really keen to get Max to do one of these little interviews as he has helped me by designing gear for my needs and I consider him to be in the elite of pedal builders. Thankfully, he said yes!

Enjoy!

Shep

Edited by pantherairsoft

Whenever I see a post in this thread I know it's gonna be something good.. :D
Thanks for posting this Shep, I really like the sound of that burninator in the demo, sounds
like a more natural mammoth.

Edited by lxxwj

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1337595660' post='1662364']
Whenever I see a post in this thread I know it's gonna be something good.. :D
Thanks for posting this Shep, I really like the sound of that burninator in the demo, sounds
like a more natural mammoth.
[/quote]

Cheers dude!

If I recall correctly that Burninator came up for sale on here not long ago! Seriously cool pedal.

If anyone reads any of these interviews and enjoys them then please share the link on facebook etc - I really appreciate it and every extra reader can turn into an extra subscriber! :-)