Why become a member? ×

Shep on Bass - Interviews about effects!

pantherairsoft

Hey folks,

Over the coming months I'll be publishing a number of interviews on my website & blog. These interviews are all with people that have either highly discussed (in the world of internet forums) or very interesting effects/pedal board set ups and cover musicians from not so well known to world famous. I currently have some VERY exciting musicians on board for the first five or six and hope to publish on interview, along with pics of the gear and listening references every fortnight.

It is not exclusive to bassists (though 'most' of the folk involved at the moment are bass players) and I do have a couple of guitarist's (who's set ups interest me) already on board. I am hoping to also be able to bring you a few interviews with boutique pedal builders as part of this series as well (waiting/hoping to hear back from the first of the pedal builders now).

Anyway... I thought I'd start a thread (as the interviews are all effects-based) and post the links here each time I publish one so they can all be kept in one place. I am hoping this will be a great resource on how people use gear in different ways etc. If you have suggestions about anyone you'd like to see interviews (though 'some' of the 'big boys' are far less attainable) then drop me a message and I'll see what I can do (if you are a pedal builder with products that are commercially available then get in touch also!!)...

So without further ado, here is interview number 1 - Bassist of Submotion Orchestra and BassChat member, Chris Hargreaves:

Cheers for reading!

Shep

PLEASE BE AWARE - MY WEBSITE IS NOW CLOSED. THE INTERVIEWS CAN NOW BE FOUND HERE -> [url="http://simonpoulton.tumblr.com/sheponbass"]http://simonpoulton.....com/sheponbass[/url]

Edited by pantherairsoft

Thanks bud.

The core of questions will remain the same between interviews in order to see how different people approach the same/similar things in different ways, then a few questions will be pointed specifically at parts of that persons set up.

I've currently got another 7 (4 bassists and 3 guitarists) on board ranging from people you may not of heard of to people that EVERYONE has heard of.

Excited to get these out to everyone.

[quote name='lxxwj' timestamp='1333975791' post='1608962']
Awesome interview. I've seen Chris around on basschat but hadn't looked into his music until now! :D
That True Tiger video was incredible.
[/quote]

That's great to hear - If I can open a few people's eyes to some cool musicians, doing cool things with pedals and effects, or some pedal builders making cool new toys then the whole thing is a success as far as I'm concerned :)

Ready for the next one... Go on then!!!

The 1st of my 'pedal-builder interviews'. I give you... Ryan Ratajski, bassist of CAVALE and the man behind FUZZROCIOUS Pedals.

PLEASE BE AWARE - MY WEBSITE IS NOW CLOSED. THE INTERVIEWS CAN NOW BE FOUND HERE -> [url="http://simonpoulton.tumblr.com/sheponbass"]http://simonpoulton.....com/sheponbass[/url]

Enjoy!!

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='D major' timestamp='1334523311' post='1617262']
Great stuff Shep. Keep goin mate.
[/quote]

Thanks mate. The response to these has been great... and I've actually be contacted by a couple of guys rather than contacting them. I have another 12 interviews out there being completed and back-and-forthing with people at the mo to publish over the next few months.

All good.

Real cool of guys like Chris & Ryan etc to take time out to go into detail over what they do...

[quote name='pantherairsoft' timestamp='1334523521' post='1617267']
Thanks mate. The response to these has been great... and I've actually be contacted by a couple of guys rather than contacting them. I have another 12 interviews out there being completed and back-and-forthing with people at the mo to publish over the next few months.

All good.

Real cool of guys like Chris & Ryan etc to take time out to go into detail over what they do...
[/quote]
Epic interview. Now I just want to see one of Taylor Livingston.. :lol:

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1334567768' post='1617576']
Excellent stuff Shep, really interesting to see how people are creating such complex textures on the fly live.

Fair does my head in imagining trying to get that deep into that aspect of it live. You're all nutters, well done :)
[/quote]

Thanks bud, nutters we are :)

There are times when I could likely do a gig without the bass and just make my Low Pass Filter self oscillate for the notes :)

[quote name='the_krysh' timestamp='1334595552' post='1618254']
great stuff, thanks for sharing.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing on that German bass forum! ;) The statistics on my site told me I suddenly got a load of hits from a web server I'd never seen before so I went for a look. I recognised the profile pic! :)