Why become a member? ×

NOTICE FOR OWNERS OF RICKENBACKER COPIES

Kiwi

[quote name='Stag' timestamp='1334138663' post='1611332']
I was going to mention that, but it seems he hasnt got any Ric-Alikes left?
[/quote]

RIC did the usual and David blinked first. Even with the headstock similarities it was blatantly obvious that those basses were not Ricks. I'm just gutted I didn't manage to get a 'fireglo' one.

Their new ones, which are kind of a Rick/Jazz hybrid, look pretty good though.

[quote name='karlfer' timestamp='1334128564' post='1611130']
Strange how FEEBay seem to pull less business sellers ads for modern Rick copies, again, IMHO.
[/quote]

Yeah, I've noticed that, too. Though perhaps RIC already has already got its legal bods abroad in the far east?

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1334132207' post='1611195']
HAve you every been insulted by Mr Hall or his acolytes? I have, just for asking pertinent questions. He recently did so again to a BC forumite. That's my main stance on getting rid of my Ricks; I've just had enough. Furthermore, I have NO problem with a company protecting its rights; it's just the ham-fisted way RIC goes about it that pisses me off.
[/quote]

Not to get involved in this thread topic but i`ll just post something from the other point of view.

Ive asked a few times on the ric forums etc questions relating to ric`s, availability of certain models and enquiries as to the best way to go about fixing/improving things, and have always been treated nicely and had my queries answered swiftly and politely (having even had a few good private conversations with said "acolytes").

I have a few different basses, including a Ric, and will not decide that i like or dislike them on my perceived personal opinion of a member of staff of said company.

That said law-suits are a largely american thing and not to be approved imho....

[quote name='pete.young' timestamp='1334143053' post='1611445']
How do we know you're the real John Hall and not a copy?
[/quote]

Agreed, and even if he is the real John Hall, I just might copyright him, so then he won`t be allowed to say he is John Hall without my permission :lol:

Edited by Lozz196

It's funny isn't it, how protecting ones intellectual property (or at least that's how JH see's it) can damage your sales, as is probably the case here.
By taking away peoples choice, they're less likely to choose your product, simple as that. Embrace competition and the intrinsic quality of a company will usually show through the players with discerning tastes.
As has been mentioned, protecting ones assets is fine, but there are means to do so without alienating your customer-base

If nothing else, this thread might act as a business lesson in 'Uk bassists' for Ric lol

Si

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1334127658' post='1611124']
True dat.

If Rics are as good as everyone says, I don't see why they are so threatened by cheaper imitations. Unless they're better... :D
[/quote]

That's most certainly true of the John Birch "copies"; better in quality of wood used, build, electrics, finish. If JB could do it plenty of other manufacturers can - and I'd be sure that's what Rick are scared of. Pity they can't invest the money they spend on lawyers to improve their product.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1334145649' post='1611511']
That's most certainly true of the John Birch "copies"; better in quality of wood used, build, electrics, finish. If JB could do it plenty of other manufacturers can - and I'd be sure that's what Rick are scared of. Pity they can't invest the money they spend on lawyers to improve their product.
[/quote]

This

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1334143669' post='1611464']
Agreed, and even if he is the real John Hall, I just might copyright him, so then he won`t be allowed to say he is John Hall without my permission :lol:
[/quote]

He could change the "John" to "Arse", no-one would argue then.

I don't think i'll be infringeing any copyrights by saying that I would sooner cut off my jacobs with a rusty penknife than buy a Rick product. I've never been a big fan of their stuff anyway, but now? Not if it was the last bass on the planet.

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1334147751' post='1611555']
I've never been a big fan of their stuff anyway, but now? Not if it was the last bass on the planet.
[/quote]

+1 I've had to do a bunch of work to correct their pretty fundamental deficiencies, and usually not well paid work because I pity the people who have to deal with such poorly designed and made instruments so do so out of charity. When as small a 'manufacturer' (in the loosest sense, there's probably a better word, I make stuff in 10s) can produce significantly improved hardware to restore function, you have to think something is seriously wrong with a larger player to not be doing so.

[quote name='Stacker' timestamp='1334138542' post='1611326']
Icarus, if I were well-off, you could have 'em all, mate! Unfortunately, there's a few quid tied up in them. However, I'd be happy to accept hookers n crack n back-copies of the Beano and Dandy! God nows, I'd appreciate all of them more than JH's products right now. ;)
[/quote]
Damned..! Just when I'm fresh out of crack..! It's always the same... Can you wait a week or so..?

I might be able to dig out a 'Boys Own Paper' (not even sure of that, though...), but that's about it. Can't help with the hookers; have you been following the oriental brides thread..? Might be a lead or two there..?

[quote name='Sibob' timestamp='1334145288' post='1611501']
It's funny isn't it, how protecting ones intellectual property (or at least that's how JH see's it) can damage your sales, as is probably the case here.
By taking away peoples choice, they're less likely to choose your product, simple as that. Embrace competition and the intrinsic quality of a company will usually show through the players with discerning tastes.
As has been mentioned, protecting ones assets is fine, but there are means to do so without alienating your customer-base

If nothing else, this thread might act as a business lesson in 'Uk bassists' for Ric lol

Si
[/quote]

At the risk of jeopardising my £2k-a-day consultancy, a superb suggestion!

If you're going to tackle copyright infringement, dedicate your efforts to where they can have most effect - which, assuredly, is not pursuing individual sellers of aging equipment.

The remainder comes in having confidence in your proposition; in putting the right quality, innovation and effort into it; so when people look at your proposition and a fake, or an alternative, they're not looking at a choice - because there is only one option. It [b]has[/b] to be your product.

They might be 'small family firm', or whatever guff, but the principle still works.

And I've never felt that way about a Ric. I've played one, which was stunning, which I would own - if John Hall stopped being a bell end long enough for me to contemplate it - which is in Simon's profile pic.

I'll take Paypal for that John, I'm not even arsed about the fees. I've got another six hours of this consultancy left. Any more lessons you'd like?

[quote name='Rich' timestamp='1334147751' post='1611555']
I don't think i'll be infringeing any copyrights by saying that I would sooner cut off my jacobs with a rusty penknife than buy a Rick product. I've never been a big fan of their stuff anyway, but now? Not if it was the last bass on the planet.
[/quote]

A mate of mine loves Ricks, has a few guitars all fairly new, and a 4001. He's had to send a couple of the guitars back to be replaced because of QC issues and poor finishing, he has a (360?) 12 string that has a tuning peg route that was totally messed up at the factory, and his 4001 had to have a new nut and full set up at the Gallery to stop the G falling off the side of the neck when played. The string mute adjuster keeps falling off too, awful bridge design. He still loves them but readily admits he's more often than not disappointed with the quality and quality control. He has to work had to get a good one, because they make so few of them. He's taken five years to get four that he's happy with, and even two of those needed work at his own expense :lol:

I love the look of the 4001 basses, but I can't buy stuff from someone who behaves so pathetically, even if I wanted to, which I don't because they play so badly and are so poorly designed.

Edited by silddx

If Mr Hall spent a bit more time trying to come up with a solution for the sh*tty (ric) cases that smash as soon as you look at them, then we might get somewhere. I play in a beatles show and we have bought (over the years) 2 six string rics, 1 twelve string and i own a 4001s v63 and also a 4003s4 dot neck model. all together about £10,000.00 worth. I will not however take my ric basses abroad, so i also use a tokai rockinbetter copy, which serves me well. Those plastic (very expensive) cases are the worst cases probably ever made, so if he wants to talk about things of inferior quality, he should take a look at what they are manufacturing ( or licensing). It's very sad and I think there is a place for copies for working musicians who do not want to risk damage to their prized rics.

Anyway ... the fact is that Kiwi needs a legal opinion (otherwise he'd be Crazy Kiwi, wouldn't he?) and them things cost money.

If Ped/Kiwi want to organise a Basschat whip-round to put together a fighting fund, include me in.

I'm well aware that no one running / helping to run this site is getting rich out of it, and legal opinion is even more over-priced than modern Rickenbackers, so if we're going to deal with this we're going to have to put our hands in our pockets.

If such opinion is sought, then we need to make sure it covers ALL Basschat liability for ALL types of adverts for selling-on used kit.

My tupp'orth.

ps: Where's Bassassin when you need him? Come back Jon - we forgive you. ;)

not a fan of RIC's at all .. tried one a few years ago and almost vomited at the quality and sound!

however, as Happy Jack has stated, I would be more than happy to throw a few notes in to tackle this ridiculous and poorly thought out legal nonsense!

If cheap copies of expensive basses didn't exist .. then I wouldn't be playing bass today. my first bass was a fender P rip off .. quickly followed by a musicman copy!

The "facilitator" crap is just crap.

Remember all those MASSIVE cases against ISP's for facillitating illegal downloads?

Me neither.

I fully support RIC if they are going after manufacturers making [b][i]direct copies with the intent to pass them off as RICs[/i][u].[/u][/b]But any other attempts will lose - just like Gibson did against PRS.

But as for a private ad that admits the instrument is a fake - he can stick his well laid plan up his well laid arse.

are the clover leafed tuners also part of the trade mark? or is it all the parts together? - Surely changing the word on the plate means it is different? (esp if a different typeface is used) or lets use oval tuners... surely sane people would be able to tell them apart.... and then how does this apply to 30 year old basses, made outside the duristiction of the EU, UK or USA in a private sale?

mad