Why become a member? ×

Something that sounds like a Ken smith.. but cheaper?

Shockwave

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' timestamp='1427807461' post='2734465']
I don't think I've ever heard a Ken Smith. I'm intrigued now.
[/quote]

They have a very tight 'nasal' quality that sounds unique. I love them. Closest contender for me was a Bacchus Twentyfour which sounds like this:

[attachment=187986:Bacchus 24F Hum Custom 5 jam.mp3] (right click, save as, rename extension to .mp3)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1427832212' post='2734878']
Marleaux Consat Custom.

Not cheap, but still way cheaper.
[/quote]

Good shout. My Marleaux had a single pickup but I reckon a two pickup one would be pretty close. Lovely basses.

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1334307649' post='1614055']
Hey guys.

I have a wanted post for something like this. However I have no idea what to look for!

I am after something that would sound good in a Gospel sort of situation. Ken Smith is obviously the way to go. However they are fairly expensive! What is a good alternative that I can get second hand which is easily sellable (If I don't like it) 5/6 string, 34" scale and with fairly wide string spacing (19MM would be fantastic).

I believe the Peavey Cirrus and some Yamahas come quite close, but I don't think they are terribly sellable. A Ken Smith Burner would be nice, but I find them quite hard to come across!

Cheers!

Rob.
[/quote]

There's a Ken Smith Burner for sale in the sales section.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334308961' post='1614092']
I am a member on a Gospel bass player forum and there are a lot of members using MTD Z basses to get closer to a Ken Smith tone. I really like these basses too and you get a lot of bang for your buck. The Andrew Gouche signature model is a lovely bass to play. The only snag is that they are 35" scale, which is not what you are looking for, but I would recommend test driving one if you come by them.
[/quote]

I know someone plays gospel using an MTD, sounds amazing, especially for what it cost.

I guess the pickup position would be one of the main reasons getting a "nasal" sound in a bass. The bridge pickup on a Ken Smith seems to be closer to the bridge than on most other basses, and so does the neck pickup, too. If you want to get the same sound, you should consider finding a bass with a similar pickup setup.

A Stingray has its own unique pickup position, and maybe the Ken Smith is able to blend pickups to somewhat mimic the pickup position of the Stingray, but I doubt that a Stingray will get the same sound that the Ken Smith bridge pickup has..

So if you really want to get the same type of sound, get someone to measure the pickup positions on a KS and try to find something that is close with humbucker pickups.

[quote name='MrWalker' timestamp='1427868828' post='2735136']
I guess the pickup position would be one of the main reasons getting a "nasal" sound in a bass. The bridge pickup on a Ken Smith seems to be closer to the bridge than on most other basses, and so does the neck pickup, too. If you want to get the same sound, you should consider finding a bass with a similar pickup setup.

A Stingray has its own unique pickup position, and maybe the Ken Smith is able to blend pickups to somewhat mimic the pickup position of the Stingray, but I doubt that a Stingray will get the same sound that the Ken Smith bridge pickup has..

So if you really want to get the same type of sound, get someone to measure the pickup positions on a KS and try to find something that is close with humbucker pickups.
[/quote]

Yeah that's a big part of it. My bass now is a Vigier which has a pickup right next to the bridge. Often I play through a Vbass and I've modelled a Ken Smith sound by doing exactly as you describe; I measured the pickup placement and moved a 'virtual pickup' into place, chose the type of pickup and voila. The main thing that shines through to me is the very 'rounded' and 'full' sounding treble which somehow underlines even the low end, giving it a clear and cutting tone.

The most Ken Smith sounding Ken Smith I ever played was a Burner series bass which is their budget range. Should have bought it.