Why become a member? ×

Something that sounds like a Ken smith.. but cheaper?

Shockwave

Hey guys.

I have a wanted post for something like this. However I have no idea what to look for!

I am after something that would sound good in a Gospel sort of situation. Ken Smith is obviously the way to go. However they are fairly expensive! What is a good alternative that I can get second hand which is easily sellable (If I don't like it) 5/6 string, 34" scale and with fairly wide string spacing (19MM would be fantastic).

I believe the Peavey Cirrus and some Yamahas come quite close, but I don't think they are terribly sellable. A Ken Smith Burner would be nice, but I find them quite hard to come across!

Cheers!

Rob.

I am a member on a Gospel bass player forum and there are a lot of members using MTD Z basses to get closer to a Ken Smith tone. I really like these basses too and you get a lot of bang for your buck. The Andrew Gouche signature model is a lovely bass to play. The only snag is that they are 35" scale, which is not what you are looking for, but I would recommend test driving one if you come by them.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1334308961' post='1614092']
I am a member on a Gospel bass player forum and there are a lot of members using MTD Z basses to get closer to a Ken Smith tone. I really like these basses too and you get a lot of bang for your buck. The Andrew Gouche signature model is a lovely bass to play. The only snag is that they are 35" scale, which is not what you are looking for, but I would recommend test driving one if you come by them.
[/quote]

I am very much aware of the MTD's, I can just about handle the 34 1/2 scale on my Grabber, but 35 is just a bit too much! Also the string tension is a bit too much for me as well! Shame as they look darn nice.

Hmmm.... I was going to suggest the MTD Z's too.

In that case, I suggest a visit to Bass Direct. He has a Ken Smith in and this should therefore enable you to use it as a yardstick to try out others & find something that suits.

the yamaha rbx basses have a 19mm bridge spacing on the 5 strings, and they're very cheap if you go for the older ones, i only paid 100 for my rbx765. I have no idea if they sound like a ken smith though as i'm not sure i've ever heard one.
Matt

Sandberg? I play my Basic Ken Taylor 5 with the local soul choir and it kills! Huge sound pallette and versatility (and feels great too!). Quite reasonable price anyway, bit seem to be quite cheap from some of the German sites at the moment.

http://www.sandberg-guitars.de/basscat-overview/basic-series-top

The Ken Taylor's at the bottom. If you click "gallery" just above the pic, you'll see loads of other finishes (although there must be hundreds of possible options!)

[quote name='Shockwave' timestamp='1334311483' post='1614170']
Darn, it seems like a 34" scale 19mm string spacing bass is just not out there! I dont mind buying one that does not sound like a Ken smith and modding it to make it be!
[/quote]

The early Mk1 Yamaha TRB 5P (and presumably 5) has 34" scae and 19mm spacing. There's one in the for sale forum at the moment with an Aguilar pre-amp added, which I think would get you very close to what you want. The original electrics are pretty good too.

SGC Nanyo Bass Collection 5s also have 34" scale and 19mm spacing, but you would definitely need to give some attention to the stock pre-amp, and maybe the pickups.

Okay, hope you don't mind. I'm the brand manager for Brubaker Basses and the Brute Series basses. We have 4 and 5 string 34" scales that many of my customers swear gets near great Ken Smith and other tones.

I don't have any in your country yet, though. I can sell you direct, however we would need to work a price with shipping.

I recommend you go to YouTube and check out Brubaker Basses and also Kevin Walker demoing the Brute. Then, if you are interested, I'll see what I can do.

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1334670708' post='1619443']
Okay, hope you don't mind. I'm the brand manager for Brubaker Basses and the Brute Series basses. We have 4 and 5 string 34" scales that many of my customers swear gets near great Ken Smith and other tones.

I don't have any in your country yet, though. I can sell you direct, however we would need to work a price with shipping.

I recommend you go to YouTube and check out Brubaker Basses and also Kevin Walker demoing the Brute. Then, if you are interested, I'll see what I can do.
[/quote]

Sounds interesting, whats the string spacing on the 5 strings?

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1334670852' post='1619449']
Ben swift?
[/quote]

Who?

• 5 months later...

[quote name='TomRichards' timestamp='1334670708' post='1619443']

[/quote]

I agree to that, I have both, Smith & Bubaker :) Both are very high end instruments

• 2 years later...

Blimey, talk about a zombie thread... nearly 3 years :D

[quote name='alzamatt' timestamp='1426690112' post='2720838']
Nothing sounds like a Ken Smith ... really, it's the best bass ever built, nothing is comparable
[/quote]
While the first bit may be true, the second & third bits are entirely subjective really. 100 people would tell you 100 different things.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Schnozzalee' timestamp='1348945541' post='1820068']
A Cort A6
[/quote]

Well seeing as this thread has been brought back from the dead, I have to say that I had a Cort A6 and there were many things about it that I really liked but if it had sounded even vaguely like a Ken Smith I would never have sold it!