Why become a member? ×

Celinder Basses

Alanbass

Does anyone know if Chris Celinder is still making basses? His website seems to have gone. I also put 'Celinder' into Google search and one of the documents that the search found was what appeared to be a legal ruling in Denmark - Celinder had failed to produce for a customer and it looks as if there was a small claims action taken against him. I am interested in checking out Celinder but other than looking out for second hand basses it doesn't look as if they are still in production. Anyone got any information about what has happened and if they are still going as a business?

He's got a load of bass bodies put aside, I've seen them. But he's also had a number of personal issues to deal with which have been like quicksand to escape. He doesn't have regular access to the internet and had the Celinder.com domain name poached and squatted by a US lawyer last year after he didn't renew it in time.

To be honest, there are plenty of second hand basses popping up, and any under 1800 quid represent great value so if it was me, I'd be going for one of those.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am living in Copenhagen and in London and can tell Christian Celinder is still making basses. There is a contact email address on his new website http://celinderbass.com/. My understanding is that he won't be able to take in new orders until later this year (Q3, Q4?). But one never know.

J

• 1 year later...

Sorry about reviving this old topic, but it seems Christian has dissapeared again. At least, he doesn't reply my mails... And his phone seems to be disconnected... I'm beginning to get worried, as he still has my Update J4 for repairs since September.

Does anybody know how I might get in touch with him? I don't mind waiting a bit, as long as I know I'll get my bass back at some time...

Any help is highly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

[quote name='Mikkel-S' timestamp='1422199170' post='2669761']
Just wanna show off my Celinder duo. A fretless Classic 4 with active 2-band preamp and a Vintage 4 in true "66'" styling and all passive.

Best basses I have played.

[/quote]

That sunburst is beautiful!

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Lacertus' timestamp='1418494962' post='2630712']
Just got a message from the master! He's alive and well!
[/quote]

Haven't heard from him since my last message, which is over half a year ago. I've spammed him with email on a regular basis, his phone seems to be disconnected, so I'm seriously starting to wonder if I'm *ever* going to see my bass again... :(

Does anybody have any information of his whereabouts?? Anything could help! Thanks in advance!

This is a real shame - one of the most gifted luthiers on the planet but his business practices are indefensible. I do not think that Celinder is deliberately trying to rip-off anybody, he simply seems unable to handle the customer care element of the trade - crucial where high-end and expensive luthiery is concerned. I'll pm with further details

[quote name='three' timestamp='1437211729' post='2824425']
This is a real shame - one of the most gifted luthiers on the planet but his business practices are indefensible. I do not think that Celinder is deliberately trying to rip-off anybody, he simply seems unable to handle the customer care element of the trade - crucial where high-end and expensive luthiery is concerned. I'll pm with further details
[/quote]
That seems to be a common trait amongst luthiers - highly skilled, practical, craftsmen, but without a clue when it comes to customer service - Letts basses are another that jumps to mind.

It did make me wonder if there was a market for handling the order intake and customer service aspects for a number of small luthiers

• 1 month later...

Hi ,

I have been in contact with Chris Celinder , he was actually mega responsive with me (i had dumb ass questions about a bass he made 25 years ago LOL). The man told me he had trouble in the last 6 or 7 years , moving his workshop around Copenhagen 3 times. His last move was in 2012 and his workshop is finally ready. Chris will not be taking any orders for the time being as lead times would be looking into 3 to 4 years to get a bass. I just assumed he was honoring past orders before he had problems.

I did read a lot of horror stories about him but to me at the moment I have nothing to complain about , sounds like a super sweet guy.