Why become a member? ×

Vintage sounding P Bass pick up options- Got a '62- Not Sure?? Too much boom, not enough thump!

cameltoe

I'm wondering whether the Wizard Trad might be a better option, but am concerned it may be too similar to the Fender Original.

I was hoping for a sound that locked to the kick drum, and I could hear and feel the thump of every note in my chest. The FO seemed to smother the kick drum.

If the Trads sound like what I'm after I'll try them out.

Think it depends on amp/cab, and playing style. I`ve got the Fender Originals in my Precisions, and at our last gig, the singer had to play bass, as I`ve damaged my hand/wrist. Anyway, being a guitarist, with the amp on the same settings, he coaxed more treble out of my bass than I thought was possible. I had to cut highs, and boost lows, so that the sound was similar to when I play. And we both play with a pick. Only difference, his pick is a lot thinner - so this may be worth looking at if you use a pick?

I've just been through this process for a rebuild project and settled on the new Aguilar.

It's been designed to replicate Dave Boonshoft's (joint founder of Aguilar) personal '64 P Bass.

Should have it fitted in the next couple of weeks :)

£100 from BassGear
http://www.bassgear.co.uk/products-page/accessories/pickups/aguilar-ag-4p-60-p-pickup/

Edited by molan

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1340916607' post='1711614']
nope- finger style.

The highs aren't worrying me too much TBH, it's literally just the boom of the lows.
[/quote]

What I meant was, playing style seems to change how these pickups respond. My mate got a much more JJ-type sound from the same bass/same amp/same settings, whereas if anything, I get a lot of bottom end and have to be careful not to have too much. Rather like yourself.

I`ve found a compressor tames this for me, but I think a lot of the boom is me being heavy handed, and the compressor prevents the boom from happening. Maybe reduce a bit of gain on the OTB?

I did try that actually, to no joy. Had the gain down as far as it would go, and the bass. The bass helped, but made it sound hollow. I wouldn't consider myself heavy handed, I have a very low action and have to be careful not to dig in too much. Perhaps the OTB doesn't like these pickups?

I can't see any mention above of DiMarzio's :huh: I reckon a DP127 might just give you exactly what sound you're searching for, I replaced the Fender original in my '57AV, which had the raised A poles, fitted the DP127W & wouldn't go back. They have a range & clarity I've not found with anything else. It compliments the maple neck brightness, I'm sure it would be slightly more mellow with a rosewood board.
I thought of replacing the '62AV original with a black one, but the '62 tone is actually 'just right' :D for me. I'm using GHS precision flats on both P's BTW & LB30 rig, the Bass Shift switch gives a quick change from deep down old school Jamerson to more 80's hard rock :yarr:. I play fingers mostly, with a very low action, experiment with picks at times though :happy:
[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_dp127_wh.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/dimarzio_dp127_wh.htm[/url] Not expensive for what you get IMO & so much sweeter than the SD 1/4lb.

Cheerz, John

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1340911918' post='1711515']
I'm wondering whether the Wizard Trad might be a better option, but am concerned it may be too similar to the Fender Original.

I was hoping for a sound that locked to the kick drum, and I could hear and feel the thump of every note in my chest. The FO seemed to smother the kick drum.

If the Trads sound like what I'm after I'll try them out.
[/quote]

I cant really comment on the Trad, but to me it sounds like its aiming to get the same tone as the Fender. Both seem to be aimed at getting a traditional vintage P tone.
I did have a Wizard Thumper in my P at one time but i felt it had too much low mid so i guess that one isnt worth looking at either.

I've heard the Antiquity 2's are very good.

In a sense, I guess I'm after a more compressed sound than the fenders gave me. I need that low-mid chest-pounding thump that precision's do so well.

I had a 2005 USA I traded on here which I liked the sound of, but the low end was a bit beefy for me. Had a tight sound though, which I liked, but could be a bit overpowering in the mix.

The RW pickup does what I'm after but lacks character.

[quote name='Ou7shined' timestamp='1336665229' post='1649195']
SD SPB-1
[/quote]
[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1340982889' post='1712441']
I've heard the Antiquity 2's are very good.

In a sense, I guess I'm after a more compressed sound than the fenders gave me. I need that low-mid chest-pounding thump that precision's do so well.

I had a 2005 USA I traded on here which I liked the sound of, but the low end was a bit beefy for me. Had a tight sound though, which I liked, but could be a bit overpowering in the mix.

The RW pickup does what I'm after but lacks character.
[/quote]

I *may* be selling a SPB-1 sometime soon if you are interested. Might not be, we will see. :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1340983438' post='1712448']
You will probably find what you are looking for but i see a theme here. You like the tone until you put it through your rig, then the lows are overbearing.
Have you exhausted your EQ tweaking?

Maybe a compressor would help.
[/quote]

No, the cab definitely has limitations for sure, which is why I ordered a Barefaced last week, but I do get the tight thump I need from my RW p'up through my rig, I find it's just a bit vanilla sounding. The Fender Original is the exact opposite!

[quote name='cameltoe' timestamp='1340992460' post='1712643']
No, the cab definitely has limitations for sure, which is why I ordered a Barefaced last week, but I do get the tight thump I need from my RW p'up through my rig, I find it's just a bit vanilla sounding. The Fender Original is the exact opposite!
[/quote]
go for the thump P bass one and put it through a big old valve amp?

I found the PU's on my AVRI P a bit boomy also -particularly on the e-string. Swapped them for SD AntiquityII's and it tightened things up down the bottom without losing any "thump". There was a reason I went for the II's rather than the Antiquity 1, but I honestly can't remember now. I'd be interested to compare with the wizard and nordstrand vintage repro PU's but I'm not made of money and the SD's are doing fine.