Why become a member? ×

Ampeg SVT III (non PRO) Manual needed. Opinions of?

basshead56

Hi guys.
I've got an SVT III non pro sitting here. i know most of the basic stuff about it (from around 91, 3 tube-pre same as SVT II, [email="200@%208ohms"]200 @ 8ohms[/email], etc)

First of all, anyone on here played/own/owned one? What's your take on them?

I've had heaps of Ampegs since I started, some great which I've kept - 4PRO, Micro VR etc, some average (a 2009 SVT-VR- hugely disappointed!) and some much less brilliant ones (including the 3PRO which I really hated!) and I have to say, I honestly LOVE the tone. it's big and very, um, AMPEG-y. It's certainly got enough power for what I'm doing, going through a 410HE (from the same year). Having not gotten on with a 3PRO in the past I was very sceptical about this amp, but after a bit of a play, it was obvious that this is a totally different animal altogether.
granted-it's nowhere near as powerful as my US made 4PRO I know, but it sounds 'big' in that it nails that SVT sound. I really like the 1odb Eq slider- gives a serious volume boost, not that it needs it-I've not had the vlume past 9/10 O 'clock!

But that's me, anyone find the same/opposite etc?

Second thing is: anyone have a copy of the manual?
I got everything except that...

Cheers
Colin

Interesting... I thought the SVT III non-pro wouldnt be too different from the later models but I'm pleased to hear that you think there is a huge difference. In the last year I got a blueline III pro but that too was a huge disappointment and not as good as I remembered. I have a IIP preamp which I think sounds superb once I dial the bass up. I like the tone better than some of my more expensive pres. That one is a keeper. I'm interested in checking out a III non-pro now.

Not an Ampeg fan as in you get what you get and can't alter much.

The best Ampegs I've used..never owned..have been where I plugged in and didn't have to do much. These were invaribly valve jobs which are unpractical without crew IMV.
The EQ has always been basic..the graphic pretty weedy and useless...but if you like its inherrent tone..and plenty do.. then you are in business.
I think the tone sweep switch is ok but limited as it has presets..whereas a varible sweep would be so much better..

But then again..it is an uncomplicated amp and is probably the better for it. If you like it, you'll love it and stand by it, if not, then..you are better off moving it on
because it isn't good at giving you anything else EQ-wise, IME..

My other grip would be how well built is it... but then you could apply that to loads of other marques. An amp tech I know, hates working on them..and Boogies for that matter..two iconic U.S amps, but I suspect a large part of that is because they are so heavy to load onto the bench. I'll leave out what else he has to say about them tho..

• 4 years later...

[quote name='basshead56' timestamp='1336893255' post='1652282']
Hi guys.
I've got an SVT III non pro sitting here. i know most of the basic stuff about it (from around 91, 3 tube-pre same as SVT II, [email="200@%208ohms"]200 @ 8ohms[/email], etc)

First of all, anyone on here played/own/owned one? What's your take on them?

I've had heaps of Ampegs since I started, some great which I've kept - 4PRO, Micro VR etc, some average (a 2009 SVT-VR- hugely disappointed!) and some much less brilliant ones (including the 3PRO which I really hated!) and I have to say, I honestly LOVE the tone. it's big and very, um, AMPEG-y. It's certainly got enough power for what I'm doing, going through a 410HE (from the same year). Having not gotten on with a 3PRO in the past I was very sceptical about this amp, but after a bit of a play, it was obvious that this is a totally different animal altogether.
granted-it's nowhere near as powerful as my US made 4PRO I know, but it sounds 'big' in that it nails that SVT sound. I really like the 1odb Eq slider- gives a serious volume boost, not that it needs it-I've not had the vlume past 9/10 O 'clock!

But that's me, anyone find the same/opposite etc?

Second thing is: anyone have a copy of the manual?
I got everything except that...

Cheers
Colin
[/quote]

Hey Colin

How did you get on with the SVT III in the end? I've been looking for one and would interested in your opinions

• 5 years later...