Why become a member? ×

What pick do you use

isteen

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1337543631' post='1661764']
3mm Big Stubby - mostly play with fingers though.
[/quote]

+1

Or sometimes if the stubbies have hidden themselves away (as picks often do in my house...) then I still have loads of 2mm Tortex lying around

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1337609668' post='1662679']
I appreciate the harder attack of the more substantial picks, but playing at the speed we do and with my f***ed hand, it's a trade off.
[/quote]

I find that the harder attack disappears once you add the guitars, especially if any of them are cleanish single coils.

Fender 346 heavy. Large enough I don't lose my grasp. Heavy enough to give a good articulation, but not too heavy. Some years ago a friend of mine who used to own a music store had a gross in stock when he went out of business. He gave me a great deal. I sincerely doubt (I'm 50 years old) I'll ever have to purchase picks again in my lifetime.

[size=4]As a finger style player all my 30-odd playing years, after joining a Jam/Weller tribute band last year I tried out loads of different sizes, shapes and gauges. [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]I finally settled on Rotosound [color=black]Celluloid Abalone heavy gauge rounded triangle[/color]s, which are the same as Bruce Foxton uses, although I also like the V Picks Tremolo.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1337717574' post='1664554']

Dunlop Gator Grip .96

The best sound/feel I've found, and they don't fall out of my sweaty hands. does anybody else have a box full of random picks?
[/quote]
Not a box full but I do have a Jack Daniel's cigarette case full. From the ridiculously thin and flimsy, upto 3mm Big Stubbies, and alsorts in between, including reshaped coins and washers, and metal finger and thumb picks.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1337718286' post='1664564']
Not a box full but I do have a Jack Daniel's cigarette case full. From the ridiculously thin and flimsy, upto 3mm Big Stubbies, and alsorts in between, including reshaped coins and washers, and metal finger and thumb picks.
[/quote]

Yep me too, which was what disappeared off stage during the break at a gig.......! (perils of being set up near the facilities!)

I use Steve Clayton - Acetal Polymer 1.26mm. Our lead guitarist uses the same (as do I when I'm on guitar) so we get them by the 100, custom printed with the band logo. I used Tortex for years, but I like a pick to feel 'newish' and was always disappointed with just how fast they wore out, especially on guitar. No such problem with the Claytons - I might kill one a month if I'm really going at it and playing a fair bit of guitar as well as bass.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1337717574' post='1664554']
does anybody else have a box full of random picks?
[/quote]

No put I have a box (half full) of Herco Flex 75s. I buy them 100 at a time, that way it doesn't matter if I loose one, and I have them distributed around all my cases, so no matter what I will always have a pick to hand.

Anyone here use a thumb pick? I can't grip a regular pick due to cramping (focal dystonia sort of thing). I've read about Andy Billups from the Hamsters but can't find any pics of his modified thumb pick.

Tortex 1.14 mm or thereabouts. The slightly larger ones, but not too big.

The Dunlop[url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/big-stubby-nylon"] Big Stubby nylons [/url]are good too, they have an inlaid thumb shaped bit, to stop it flying off into the corner.

Edited by daz

[quote name='daz' timestamp='1337791830' post='1665560']
The Dunlop[url="http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/big-stubby-nylon"] Big Stubby nylons [/url]are good too, they have an inlaid thumb shaped bit, to stop it flying off into the corner.
[/quote]
Ooh! That looks very interesting, I shall have to find me one of those to try.

EDIT: Found some at Strings Direct, yay!

http://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/products/8922-jim_dunlop_nylon_big_stubby_3mm

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='ikay' timestamp='1337779265' post='1665310']
Anyone here use a thumb pick? I can't grip a regular pick due to cramping (focal dystonia sort of thing). I've read about Andy Billups from the Hamsters but can't find any pics of his modified thumb pick.
[/quote]

I've used thumbpicks all my playing life. Dunlop M is my preference. Dead easy to play with!!