Why become a member? ×

What pick do you use

isteen

What pick do you prefer?
For many years (both on guitar and bass) my preferred pick was a Yamaha Hard. I can't find that specific pick anymore so I'm looking for a new one - and searching online showed me a lot of strange picks. Some made of bone, wood and even metal! What is your preferred choice of pick? I use a pick on my P-bass, and fingers on my J-bass

For the bass when playing with a pick I only use Herco Flex 75s. Some of the harder picks sound nice on their own but the great attack sound you get with can blend in too much with the guitar tone to be any real improvement in a band situation.

Used to have a load of Pink and Purple Dunlop Tortex's (can't remember what size they were, but fairly stiff) until they mysteriously all disappeared from the stage at a gig during the break.....! I am now using a set I got off Ebay, dunno who made 'em or what thickness they are, but they work and seem to last! I am currently using a white one, as you spot it when you drop it.....which is my only complaint, they can be a bit slippery when hot.....!

Edited by SPHDS

tortex 1mm or 1.14mm usually the big triangular ones but also the sharps (when i can get them) also a fan of the big triangular fender and gibson ones (heavy or extra heavy)
i drill holes in mine for grip, usually a few 2mm ones in the rough area that i hold it, i find it helps my grip when my hands get sweaty (and makes the picks easy to identify, all my mates know that if a pick's got holes in it then it's mine.)

i've also got a couple of the wooden ones, ebony i think, feel real nice but wear out a fair bit faster than the plastic and not cheap at 3 quid each, bought them when i made a trip to see a tanglewood/overwater bass, having spent ages playing the bass and not buying it i felt a bit bad so bought some guitar strings and a pick (it was a small community type place that mainly was there to sell guitars to parents and then provide them with lessons, has the bonus of being open till 8 some nights though.)

matt

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1337537533' post='1661605']
Dava Grip Tips, not worn one out yet...lost a few though :(

[url="http://www.jhs.co.uk/dava.html"]http://www.jhs.co.uk/dava.html[/url]
[/quote]

I use the Dava Control ones. Sounds just like the green Dunlop to my ears, but much more comfortable. I also like to use the metal Teckpick ones - although I was really surprised how dark they sound through amplification.

American express cards. Or other similar plastic cards, hotel keycards etc...sorry rough editing to remove my name and card number in the pic....

Picks are punched with a Pickmaster, and smoothed with emery board for nails.

Works a charm, all I use these days and have done so for more than a year now.

Edited by synaesthesia