Why become a member? ×

The Future of the Music Industry part 2

Terra

Thanks to everyone who replied to my last question, it's great to hear so many opinions! Even if you don't know much about whats going on, every view is very helpful.

As you all did so well, I now give you a new topic!

What oppurtunities and threats are offered by internet distribution?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

First thoughts!

I think one major aspect of these developments is that the internet has the potential to increase the capacity of musicians to shortcut the monopolies that the major labels have on distribution. By cutting out the need to ship truckloads of cds to stores all over the world, small operations (even one man projects) can complete with Columbia or Sony on a level playing field. These developments will best suit minority musics like jazz etc where sales of 1,000 cds are considered successful but the principles will apply to all. This is all particularly true of MP3 downloads where you don't even need to get the material pressed onto a cd to get it out there.

The problem that arises, however, is that there will cease to be any form of editing so the market will potentially become flooded with second, third to tenth rate product. Most of this stuff will never be reviewed in industry magazines or be placed in strategic positions in music shops. Most of it will never see TV or radio airplay. It will thus become harder to search through the piles of cr*p the is out there in order to find the diamonds. There will also be fewer opportunities to earn massive sums of money from CD sales because fewer people will have the massive marketing machines that defined the majors. There will be fewer bands touring the bigger venues and the smaller venues will get smaller until a 400 seater will be the maximum. It will be a kind of musical communism where the biggest marketing strategy will be word of mouth.

As a minority interest musician, I find it all quite encouraging!

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='188875' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:07 PM']the internet has the potential to increase the capacity of musicians to shortcut the monopolies that the major labels have on distribution.[/quote]

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='188875' date='Apr 30 2008, 03:07 PM']The problem that arises, however, is that there will cease to be any form of editing so the market will potentially become flooded with second, third to tenth rate product. Most of this stuff will never be reviewed in industry magazines or be placed in strategic positions in music shops. Most of it will never see TV or radio airplay. It will thus become harder to search through the piles of cr*p the is out there in order to find the diamonds. There will also be fewer opportunities to earn massive sums of money from CD sales because fewer people will have the massive marketing machines that defined the majors. There will be fewer bands touring the bigger venues and the smaller venues will get smaller until a 400 seater will be the maximum. It will be a kind of musical communism where the biggest marketing strategy will be word of mouth.[/quote]

+1, I can't think of anything else to add