Why become a member? ×

Silver/Golden Slaps trial set - please read "Innovation trial sets" before posting

daflewis

Oh yes! :D can't believe I didn't spot that!

Pete, In case you're unfamiliar with the options, the slaps are similar to your supers but lower tension; whereas the honeys are a metal wound string designed for jazz which will probably have a similar tension to your supers, but are a much thinner string and will sound quite different.

Cheers,
Daf

• 4 weeks later...

Wow I really like these strings, I've got a "lott" bryant I bought new and I had a gut G and velvet garbas on it. The golden slaps are lower tension and warmer than the velvets and but also sound more resonant on my bass . The sound I'm going for is more jazz pizz gut ( paul chambers, israel crosby ) and the slaps are way more like this than I expected , I thought they'd be more rockabilly slap. I agree with what other people have said about the pop to the front of the note too. Basses are fussys buggers , my old german likes it tight and sounds great with spiros and sounds floppy and dead with gut or pretend gut (velvet , innovataion etc ) but these are the ones for my bryant ( for now anyway !! )
Daf do you sell them? where's the best place to buy them?

Hi Spencer,

That's great! Thanks for such glowing feedback! :)

I'm afraid I can't sell the strings (much as I'd like to..) - but it wouldn't be fair to the retailers given the position I'm in.

Here's a list of retailers from the innovation website with links to their online stores:

http://www.innovationstrings.com/inn_stockists_uk.html

"The Music Room" (second on the list) is our very own Hubrad.... ;)

Some of them also sell on ebay, so that's worth a look, and there's also a direct purchase option here:

http://innovationstrings.co.uk/

Hopefully that wasn't too partisan! ;)
Cheers,
Daf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

just posted them on to you Burg sorry for the delay.
I've just strung my bass up with some new silver slaps and they sound a bit looser and deader than the trial set of goldens I just took off, weird hey, wonder if they'll bed in and open up a bit, also the fabric winding on the E comes down over the nut and onto the vibrating bit of the string , is this normal?

Hi,

I have these with me now on my bass.

I'm a DB newbie and this is the first set of non-steel string I've played but here are my first impressions:

Feel - nice and soft to the touch, tension is less than my steel set (which I expected) but they don't feel floppy at all. Quick and easy to play in comparison with my steel strings. The action on my bass is still quite high as I haven't adjusted my bridge yet (I think it's set up for arco playing) but I'm not havign any trouble with holding these strings down and my playing is faster and more fluid now I've got these strings on. My playing stamina has also greatly increased.

Sound - Lovely warm tone, darker and less bright than the steel strings I was using but with a lovely 'bloom' to the sound when I let the note ring out. Slightly 'woody' tone I would say. I think sustain is a little less prominent than my steel strings, the note seems to decay just that bit quicker and so harmonics and vibrato aren't as rich in terms of sustain. I don't have a bow so can't comment on this.

Who's next on the list and when do I need to post to them?

• 2 weeks later...

I very recently bought a set of silver slaps
I couldn't wait for the trial set - being Mr Impatient lol ;)

On fitting them just a couple of days ago,
I must say I was immediately impressed
Very easy on the fingers, and just the sort of slightly lower than metal strings tension I wanted
They have a lovely deep, and clear sound too

They're still "bedding in" at the moment
i.e. they're still stretching
But starting to settle.....

Some BC'ers mentioned the need to widen the slots in the nut of their basses
and I could see straight away that these strings are thicker than the Honeys the bass came fitted with
However, I haven't needed to widen the slots in the nut

I haven't played the strings too vigorously just yet
But they do seem to stay firmly in place so far
and I think the tension is sufficient to keep them there....

Anyhow, just thought I'd offer my findings so far,
to anyone considering these strings, as Daf has been so helpful in his descriptions
If you're thinking about the trial set, and are a bit more patient than me, put your name on the list....

Cheers all
I'll update my thoughts when the strings settle more

Marc

EDIT: I also meant to say they don't seem "floppy" to me either

Edited by Marc S

Your bass had a set of golden slaps on previously, which is why they fit! I widened the nut slot to take the slaps, but didn't widen it all the way down to the bottom of the groove. That way, a narrower slot was available to fit other strings when needed. I think they're great strings for starting off on. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you should be able to dig in and play them hard without fear of them popping out. Go for it Marc!

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1380020049' post='2219519']
Your bass had a set of golden slaps on previously, which is why they fit! I widened the nut slot to take the slaps, but didn't widen it all the way down to the bottom of the groove. That way, a narrower slot was available to fit other strings when needed. I think they're great strings for starting off on. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you should be able to dig in and play them hard without fear of them popping out. Go for it Marc!
[/quote]

Thanks again Sarah :)
The new strings are definitely brighter
and that "woody" sound is more prominent too....

I did wonder why it was they fitted so well
Is it standard practice to slightly open the notches/ grooves on the bridge too?

Marc