Why become a member? ×

Silver/Golden Slaps trial set - please read "Innovation trial sets" before posting

daflewis

Post a reply to register your interest in a trial set....

SILVER/GOLDEN SLAPS
A clear round wound nylon coated string that comes with a silver or golden "hue". A bit thicker than the rockabillys but with lower tension, they also finger pizz well with a nice toppy click at the front end. Under the bow they are quite breathy and a bit scratchy. Very popular with slap players.

bremen *
steve *
noojb *
Bassinmyface *
TheRev *
alistair Sutcliffe *
Jhowhdheyieh *
cattytown *
spencer b *
Burg*
JimmySims - no longer interested
Bassbadger
Monster
rockabillybob1
eubassix

Edited by daflewis

I'd really like to try a set, subject to your agreeing there's a possibility that they'd be right for me.

I'm new to EUB, playing a Stagg. I also play fretless bg and would like a sound more like an upright than fretless. I don't slap.

The sound closest to what I'm after (and I know this might be a big ask from a cheap electric and a novice) is Greg Cohen's playing on Tom Wait's stuff such as Step Right Up and A Soldier's Things.

Thanks!

Hi Bremen,
It's funny, I was wondering about the Stagg EUBs, as they're so popular now...

As for the sound you're after - that's a great sound, and a big ask! but of all the innovation sets it's probably going to get you closest.... Endorka was after something similar on an NS Designs - see the topic "innovation string for jazz and arco" - i't might be worth asking her how she's getting on with them... but on the other hand, it'll only cost you the postage to try them anyway! (just checking - the stagg does't use a magnetic pickup does it? - the innovation strings won't work with a mag)

Cheers,
Daf

Hello Daf,
I'd very much like to try a set of these too, I'm mainly playing blues with a bit of jive thrown in here and there on an upright with piezo pickup, so I assume these strings would be ok with my setup.

Cheers
Steve

Hi Steve,
Yes, the slaps should work well for your style and set up. The rockabillys might also worth trying - they have a darker sound - I guess it just depends what you like, but again, there's nothing stopping you trying them all! :)
hopefully Bremen should be in touch with you in 2-3 weeks once he's done testing them
Cheers,
Daf

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I should have mentioned the reason I didn't offer an opinion on the strings. I didn't actually get to try them; they are so much thicker than the ones on my bass at the moment that I ordered a nut that I could cut to suit.

Weeks later there's no sign of the nut so rather than sit on the strings I'm passing them on. When the nut turns up I'll put my name back on the list.

Apologies for the timewasting, hope you enjoy the strings.

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1342432921' post='1734627']
Steve suggested a product by the name of Milliput, a two-pack epoxy, for mending or making nuts. Going to try making one.

[url="http://www.milliput.com/"]http://www.milliput.com/[/url]

Looks to be very versatile stuff.
[/quote]

I can't claim credit for the idea tho' - I read about it somewhere on here I think

• 2 weeks later...

I've had a couple of gigs with the golden slaps on now, so I thought I'd post my impressions. In general I'm making a direct comparison with the RABs I've tried on here.

The sound is really nice, a bit less dark than the RABs - think Paul Chambers on "Tale of the Fingers" with buckets of bloom to a held note. On my bass, I found the strings sounded fuller higher up the neck (around the D to F area on the G string).

The tension across all the strings was even with plenty of give, and the textured surface felt nice under the fingers. I felt the extra grip provided by the texture made these strings easier to slap than the RABs (although I'm new to that playing style so that may have been me).

They are a fair bit thicker than any strings I've tried before, but that didn't take long to get used to, and when I tried my other bass strung with steels, they did feel a tad weedy.

All in all, very nice. I've got a couple of gigs this weekend, after which I'll pass them on to the next person on the list