Why become a member? ×

Rock-a-billys trial set - please read "Innovation trial sets" before posting

daflewis

Post a reply to register your interest in trying out the trial set (but please read the topic "innovation trial sets" before posting)....

ROCKABILLYS
A black nylon flatwound medium tension string originally designed to replace gut for slap playing, but actually bows and finger pizz quite well too. A darker sound than metal strings but with some sustain and a good gutty slap. Well suited to straight ahead jazz and rockabilly (of course!)

Trial order * = done

Steve *
TheRev *
Rayman *
Sarahthomas *
Slap it hard *
ChrisF
Headofire
Trashabilly

Edited by daflewis

Because I'm lucky enough to live in Cardiff, last night I went to a 'Jazz Chat' thing hosted by Paula Gardiner, head of jazz at the RWCMD. We went in her office and she showed me her two basses - one a full size Hungarian strung with Rockabiilys. She said that she endorsed Innovation strings but that wasn't why they are on her bass. She likes them. And they bow well. And they're black. How cool is that?

I know I'm on the list for the Honeys, but could I go on the list for Rockabillys as well please?

Hi Sarah,
Yes, the RABs and particularly for me the ultra blacks do bow surprisingly well for nylon wound strings, but thy are harder work than the metal wound. They do have a delightfully "baroque" sound to my ears with that breathy reedy quality that is characteristic of an unwound gut string.
Paula and I were both gigging bassists in south Wales for many years - we kind of musically grew up together there... Say hi for me if you see her again, we haven't met up in years...

• 2 weeks later...

I've had these on my bass for a few days, so I thought it only fair to add some feedback since Daf and Innovation were kind enough to organise this trial opportunity.

I'm using an old Czech ply DB, with a J-tone piezo into an LR Baggs Gigpro,and then into an Ampeg PF500/PF115.

The previous strings I had on (for around a year I think) were second hand Helicores, which sounding really nice if a little quiet and seemed prone to feedback when amplified. I'd been stuffing eggcrate foam in the f-holes, eq-ing out a lot of bass on the amp and having to use my left hand to tame the open E string on some occasions.

On go the RABs, and the first noticeable things is the thicker G string, which I liked. In fact all the strings seemed closer in thickness. The tensions are nice and spongy, and feel very responsive to the left hand. I did notice an increase in volume level but having recently repaired a seam, I couldn't say how much of the increase was down to the different strings.

Playing in an acoustic jam with guitar/vocals, my bass easily kept up volume wise, where it had struggled before. In an electric rehearsal with my blues band, I was still struggling a little with feedback, mainly due to the idiot nonce bass player in the band in an upstairs room whose bass was so loud, it was making the snare drums springs rattle more than I usually do. His bass will be shoved up one of his nostrils if he does that again :angry: Reducing the bass on my amp made it more manageable tho.

Last night I played a pub gig with them, and it was fantastic. Didn't need foam in the f-holes, didn't need to cut the bass on my amp, and could here it very clearly on all but one track where the guitarist does chunky chords that obscured what I was playing. The lower tension made playing considerably easier, and less tiring.

Leaving the most important element - how they sound, to last; in general, really nice. I had very positive comments from other band members, and the audience at last nights gig. My only niggle is there's maybe a touch too much 'mwah' on the G string from about B upwards, but nobody else picked up on that so I may just need to get used to it and/or adapt my playing technique a bit.

In summary, I'm really impressed, and the only thing stopping me ordering them is my pending trial on another set of innovations. :)

I have another gig next weekend I'd like to try them on in a different venue, and then I'll whip em off and send them to the next in line (TheRev I think?)

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1339847387' post='1695302']
Great review! Looking forward to taking these for a spin.
[/quote]

thanks, I'll use them again for tonights gig and then take them off, so if you want to pm your postal details, I'll be able to send them on to you at the bginning of next week :)

OK - mid test report!

I put the rockabillys on my 50s ply bass on Thursday to use for three gigs this weekend with the scrumpy'n'western band. They replaced a set of Velvet blues, which I love to bits, but perhaps are a bit too harmonically complex for what is effectively a country/bluegrass style band.

Acoustically, the rockabillys are miles away from the Velvets. Where the Velvets have rich harmonic overtones in spades, some nice growl and a long sustain, the rockabillys are almost all fundamental and quick decay. I'd be lying if I said that my initial impresssion was favourable...the E in particular felt very loose and lacking in definition, but just because I like my Velvets, it doesn't necessarily mean that Velvets are right for me. The whole point of this trial set is to see if they work in the context of the band, not in my music room, so off to the gig I go........

Blimey. These things do exactly what it says on the tin. Amped up, the tone is defined and beefy. The strong fundamental really helps the note to sit in the mix with just enough thud and woodiness to be able to hear that it's still a double bass. The band loved being able to hear the bass really clearly and the sound of these strings fits perfectly with the music we play. A little tweak of the EQ on my Fishman Plat Pro sorted out the definition on the E string and the lack of harmonic overtones meant that I didn't have my usual battle with feedback, so I was able to concentrate more on my singing which (suprisingly) improved the soud of the band.

I'll definitley be buying a set of these babies this week so I can replace the trial set when I send them on.

Tomorrow I'll swap the rockabillys onto my Eminence EUB (currently wearing Kolstein Heritage) for a rehearsal on Wednesday and see how they get on with the jazz/soul band. This gig is quite demanding sonically - lots of sustained notes, lots of space and some walking bass parts, so very different for the root-fifth action of my other band where these strings really excel. I've had real problems finding a string that is responsive enough for the more delicate songs in this band (current winners - Velvet Garbos) so, If they survive the rehearsal, I'll keep them on for a gig on Friday.

I'd just like to say a big thank you to Daf and Innovation for organising this string trial as I really don't think I'd ever have tried the Rockabilly strings if I'd had to buy them first. Given the cost of DB strings, this really is a fantastic opportunity to open your eyes and find the string that is right for you. Other string companies should take note.....

Dave

Thanks very much for the great review Dave, much appreciated, :) - and glad they worked out after a shaky start! I'll be interested to see how they work on the eminence.... My suspicion is that they might be a bit too "simple" - but who knows...

Cheers,
Daf

[quote name='daflewis' timestamp='1340624951' post='1707105']
Thanks very much for the great review Dave, much appreciated, :) - and glad they worked out after a shaky start! I'll be interested to see how they work on the eminence.... My suspicion is that they might be a bit too "simple" - but who knows...

Cheers,
Daf
[/quote]

That's how I'm guessing it'll go, but it would be silly not to give them a try. :D

Ah! We've been found out! ;)
Yes, you're absolutely right, the cores and inner windings are the same - though they do sound very different due to the outer wraps (they're not just a different colour, they are different material too - the supers are round wound and the rockabillys are flat wound)
The supers are much brighter with a bit more "wood" in the sound.... They are certainly worth trying and I'll be putting a set up for testing soon... Promise!
Cheers,
Daf

(I've edited this post for clarity, after re-reading the question)

Edited by daflewis

Hi Daf,
I'm a Rockabilly Double Bass player, been playing double bass for over 15 years on the Rockin' scene, which I'm heavily involved with :-)

How do you fancy a Rockabilly trying these strings out, coz I'd love to!

Hope to hear back from you,

Regards,

Markus