Why become a member? ×

Stompbox anyone?

Len_derby

[quote name='Jus Lukin' timestamp='1366370351' post='2051561']
I have too much gear, I think it is fair to say. I'm toying with the idea of using my POD 2.0 into my small bass amp (GK MB12-II) for guitar gigs, and moving my guitar amp on to make some space.

Over the summer I'll probably do a lot of A/Bing, both at home and at gigs, although the first test yesterday was very promising.

I'm just wondering whether anyone else has gone this route before, and how it worked for you?
[/quote]

I use my POD X3 LIVE direct to desk for my pro guitar gig, and my bass gigs, I don't have an amp at all. However, at rehearsals I take a line out of the POD and go into the power stage of the bass amp (the effect return) and run the full amp and cab sims in the patches, never had any problems, only the real cabs will have an effect on the sound really.

I am not familiar with the POD 2.0 but the two PODs I have owned (XT Live and HD500) have settings for output mode. Studio mode for direct to PA/recording and combo/stack/power amp mode for running to an instrument amp. I could run the XT in studio mode (full amp models, cab sims etc.) then into the JCM,.. was ok. for most settings. But when I changed to the HD500 I had all sorts of problems - ready for chucking it - finally resolved by using pre amp models and no cab emulation. I thought it was a bit of a waste having the full models, cab emulations etc. and not using them 'live' but it sounds great through a pretty neutral amp like the (50+50) I use the studio settings at home though my desk and monitors. So worth a fiddle with any mode options too; the HD500 does what I'd expect, the XT didn't :)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've been playing for the other team a lot lately and I've decided to put together a small pedalboard to suit my needs. I mostly play the 12 string at gigs but occasionally I use a 6 string in open tunings with a slide for blues numbers with both going straight into the desk. Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for a few basic fx units that will open up the tonal palette a wee bit. Besides the tuner (I know, not really an fx unit) and a chorus I'm not really sure what to add. I like the idea of using bass fx as they usually allow for blending of wet and dry signals so I'll probably use a few of those. Any suggestions?

Can I suggest forgetting the chorus? To my ear it rarely does any favours to an acoustic guitar - unless you can get a fast vibey sound. However, a bass overdrive with a mix control would give you the option of a dirty 'layer' under/alongside the clean sound. Delay is also a worthwhile candidate. I would go for the TC Flashback Delay, as one compact unit gives you everything from clean digital repeats for rhythmic tricks, to murky analog for spooky ambience, plus the tape echo simulation is to die for.

IMO once you start putting effects on an acoustic guitar to the point where they make a noticeable difference in a live situation, you might as well be using an electric. I'd stick to studio quality EQ and reverb (which most likely precludes anything in pedal form) that can employed to both enhance the sound and tame any rogue elements of the instrument when amplified.

[quote name='leftybassman392' timestamp='1376425161' post='2173895']
All the above are good suggestions, but do the guitars have decent preamps? No amount of processing will make up for a cr*ppy sound source. Just a thought....
[/quote]

Hence I suggested a Fishman modeller.

Agree with BRX really - although an acoustic, even with heavy use of effects, will have a different tonal spectrum from electric and therefore suit some applications differently.

Subtle use of chorus set at low speed can make a guitar sparkle instead of just munging up the sound like excessive chorus tends to. It's like broadening the tonal spectrum, rather than adding a heavily effected tone.

Cheers lads. So Comp, Delay and Reverb are the big winners. I've been messing about with a TC Dreamscape and the Tone Print editor so I might grab a Hall of Fame to cover the 'verb. I've never really messed around with delays, I'm assuming I'm looking for something subtle? Re. preamps, I've the 12 string loaded with a LR Baggs Anthem. It's about as good as I'm going to get (or prepared to put into a Tanglewood) and the 6 string has the stock Shadow preamp still installed, which is fine for occasional use. Cheers again for the replies.

Edited by Mog

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1376495395' post='2174897']
For delays your either want something very subtle, or something with a tap tempo (or MIDI synchronised tempo if you use pre-programmed backing) because there's nothing worse than obvious repeats that are out of time with the music.
[/quote]
Cheers BRX, DD-6's usually pop up for next to nothing over here so I might take a punt on one of those.

[quote name='nottswarwick' timestamp='1376496426' post='2174932']
TC do a nova system specifically for the acoustic. I it is as good as their stuff usually is, it should be ace.
[/quote]
Aye. The guitarist in the originals band uses one. Might be overkill for my needs though and I don't think they're great at alternate tunings. His wont even tune drop-D.

Edited by Mog

i got a Johnson J Station in my quest for downsizing while still being able to play/gig guitar and bass. My plans change all the time but if I get a small power amp and it sounds good with my Tech cab, then I could get rid of the guitar combo.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Pod 2.0 and have tried it through a PA a couple of times. A bass amp and speaker would probably colour the sound more.

I found the main problems were:
(1) Sounds that were great at home were way too bassy live, i.e. at volume;
(2) Big variations in level between patches; and worst,
(3) A lack of dynamic range, meaning I couldn't cut through the mix when I wanted to.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also trying to do this with Pod HD desktop and I have found that in general it sounds really good at lower (bedroom volume. It works better through my Ashdown Little Giant rather than my ABM, maybe due to a flatter EQ but I am struggling though at anywhere near rehearsal levels with it turning muddy and have gone back to just putting it through the PA. I did think that perhaps a speaker change in my 112 would help, maybe a fuller range speaker like the Eminence Deltalite II or Kappa would work for both uses, or changing to a power amp rather than bass amp, or doing both.
Makes so much sense to save the space on guitar cabs if i can (and looks more impressive than having a 50w SS Fender behind me!)

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1379450306' post='2212929']
Yup, all the time.

I have a Pod XT and I run it into the FX return. Works well!
[/quote]

Following this thought and a quick google search, I ran my POD HD desktop from output into the FX return of my Ashdown and got MUCH better result (at home mind and not tried at rehearsal level). As far as I can make out, by not using the FX send from the amp (nowhere on the POD desktop to input anyway), it bypasses all of the EQ and merely uses the amp as a poweramp completely flat. Clearer and more like I expected the sims to sound. I will have to try it at proper levels but seems certainly seems promising.

Edited by randythoades