Why become a member? ×

Superior Drummer - how, what, where, when?

ben604

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1338381956' post='1673573']
The best way to do it is to use a program like TuxGuitar to write a MIDI drum part, then export it as a MIDI file and import it into whatever DAW you're using to host Superior.
[/quote]

I'd say it'd probably be better just to write the parts in the DAW you are hosting Superior in. For those who prefer to 'draw it in' then use the Piano Roll function. The ones in Cubase, Reaper or Logic Pro to name three are dead easy. Reaper is my favourite.. And you can also loop small sections as you write them in the DAW. I'm just not sure how it'd be easier to use an external guitar editor?

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1338414126' post='1674377']
I'd say it'd probably be better just to write the parts in the DAW you are hosting Superior in. For those who prefer to 'draw it in' then use the Piano Roll function. The ones in Cubase, Reaper or Logic Pro to name three are dead easy. Reaper is my favourite.. And you can also loop small sections as you write them in the DAW. I'm just not sure how it'd be easier to use an external guitar editor?
[/quote]

I personally find it is a lot easier to use an external editor since you don't have to type in the velocity of every different note, you're not having to slide the notes in with pinpoint precision in order for them to sit on the right timeslot and all that jazz.

I just play mine in on a keyboard, its General midi so setup is same as most. Plus you can play with feel and velocity for accents and ghost notes. Then I tweak any wayward bits with the piano roll editor - but the variations in velocity are what give it a more realistic feel IMHO. But have used it with V-Drums too. either way is fine.

• 2 weeks later...

I play them in using an electric kit. Currently its a Yamaha DTXpress IV which meant I had a little bit of setting up to do (press MIDI learn, hit pad, rinse repeat....). Before that I used a DD-55 which gave equally convincing results but wasn't as comfortable to play.

With those setups I've had at least two producers ask how I recorded the drums and be surprised that they're programmed. By playing them in (keyboards is another option) you get all the human timing and dynamics of a real drummer and can clean it up if necessary with the piano roll editor.

Edited by Commando Jack

[quote name='Commando Jack' timestamp='1339169973' post='1684851']
I play them in using an electric kit. Currently its a Yamaha DTXpress IV which meant I had a little bit of setting up to do (press MIDI learn, hit pad, rinse repeat....). Before that I used a DD-55 which gave equally convincing results but wasn't as comfortable to play.

With those setups I've had at least two producers ask how I recorded the drums and be surprised that they're programmed. By playing them in (keyboards is another option) you get all the human timing and dynamics of a real drummer and can clean it up if necessary with the piano roll editor.
[/quote]I too use a yamaha dtxpress. It is very convincing with a decent sample pack, although not if you can't play the drums proper.

I use it as a plug in in Sonar X1 and program my own patterns in the piano roll using a drum map.
I then tweak velocities (by drawing - rather than typing in numbers) and microtiming to add 'feel', accents, ghost notes etc.

Edited by Twigman

i use a collection of alesis/pintech/roland/yamaha and homemade pads with a megadrum dedicated midi trigger module for info check out http://www.megadrum.info/
i have tried most electric drum modules and the best is the roland TD20 but just for midi inputing the megadrum performs just as well (and far out performs yamaha/alesis etc) and it was only £165 brand new.
i have worked with several drumers that said it gives the most natural expressions with the sampled kits that they have come across.