Why become a member? ×

Is a gear4music upright any good???

ChrisF

Hi all

been playing bass guitar for a few months now, but ever since I was 14 (many,many years ago), all Ive wanted is an upright. I was hoping to get one next year, but due to various things that have fallen into place, it looks as though I will be able to get one in the next month or two.

So...a few questions....firstly, as the title of thread asks...is the gear4 music upright any good ?? as in value for money..and sound ....or is there a better "starter bass" out there...baring in mind that I will only have £300 - £500 to spend.

secondly...... is there anyone in the Beds area that knows of anywhere that I can try an upright out??? as I have never even touched one.

cheers Chris

I bought one of theirs a few months back. Like yourself, wanted one as was curious.

They're good to get to grips with the instrument. Sound is ok, what you'd expect for the price really.

As for trying one...I just took the chance and now I love it.

For value it's good as you've got the hardcase, bow, rosin and gig bag with it. Defo need to get it set up though.

Hope this helps :-)

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1338576511' post='1676776']
oh...and am I right in thinking that they can be played through a bass guitar amp ???
[/quote]

Only if you buy a double-bass mic & pre-amp/DI box (I believe) to connect to your amp.
There are people far more experienced to help you with mic choices, but I believe some have fishman & piezo mics for their double ass. But by all means reearch is needed in this area to match your budget and preferences.

Otherwise if its an electric upright, then its just like normal plug'n'play.

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1338576511' post='1676776']
oh...and am I right in thinking that they can be played through a bass guitar amp ???
[/quote]

Yes, but the pickup is extra.

Steve

Edited to add. Sorry, cross posted with the reply above.

Edited by oggiesnr

Many folks suggest that if you get the hard case you sell it on ebay, as you won't use it. That should free up a few squids for a set up.

How about getting a lesson before you start? That's what i did; I'd never touched one before either, but had a single lesson and then bought. Gives a bit of confidence and, above all, makes sure you get a technique that will save you from injury. You could maybe even find a teacher on this site.

Lots of info about pickups on here. £70 will do it. You might or might not need a preamp, depending on your amp.

As for Gear4music, i've no knowledge, but there have been amazing sub-£500 bargains sold by members here over the months.

Well done on taking the plunge. You absolutely will not regret this. :)

Edited by fatback

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1338579769' post='1676846']
Thomann may be a better bet.
[/quote]

WOW!!!!...your not kidding...just been on their website. And I like their basses very much..I reckon Im gonna go wiith one of those..cheers :)

[quote name='lockpicker1969' timestamp='1338624262' post='1677243']
[size=3][color=#000000]I paid a visit to their warehouse near York around a month ago. They had 2 in the showroom. I had a go on both and to me the cheaper one of the two sounded better. [/color][/size]
[/quote]

Must admit, as my fund is limited I was thinking of going for the cheaper one...so that I can afford the pick-up etc. Although the jet black one is calling my name ;) :D

If you're ok with budget gear just to get you started like me. I managed to pick a cheap pickup for £20 in a local shop. It's a stick on piezo made for acoustic guitar. It does the job perfectly and gigged with it. It's ideal to get you going and if you're tell into it, you can always invest in a decent one at a later date.

I just stick it on and run it through my normal to no problems.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1338634805' post='1677398']
If you're ok with budget gear just to get you started like me. I managed to pick a cheap pickup for £20 in a local shop. It's a stick on piezo made for acoustic guitar. It does the job perfectly and gigged with it. It's ideal to get you going and if you're tell into it, you can always invest in a decent one at a later date.

I just stick it on and run it through my normal to no problems.
[/quote]

Ah right..thanks. That sounds good enough to start with.....its just that our gig amp belongs to our guitarist...so I dont want to blow it :blink:

Edited by ChrisF

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1338638461' post='1677469']
I've a 12w practice amp at home, I'll test it through that later and see how it fares. I can't yet mind, as I'm in the pub.

That said though, I run all my bass gear through a guitar head.
[/quote]

Cheers...er..."guitar head" ?????

Ah...right.

There is a thread on this site called[size=4] "Trying to understand the lingo? Acronyms explained!" ....but its about internet-speak. [/size]

[size=4]Surely there should be a thread for bass references??? I mean the whole "bottom string"...which is actually the top string on the guitar thing confuses me still. :blush: And there are lots of references on here that make no sense to me at all :blink: :blink: [/size]

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1338653642' post='1677712']
Ah...right.

There is a thread on this site called[size=4] "Trying to understand the lingo? Acronyms explained!" ....but its about internet-speak. [/size]

[size=4]Surely there should be a thread for bass references??? I mean the whole "bottom string"...which is actually the top string on the guitar thing confuses me still. :blush: And there are lots of references on here that make no sense to me at all :blink: :blink: [/size]
[/quote]
That's 'bottom' as in 'lowest pitch' not as in 'nearest the ground' and 'top' as in 'highest pitch' not as in 'nearest to God'. ;)

This is what I am leaning towards.....

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_rockabilly_01.htm"]http://www.thomann.de/gb/thomann_kontrabass_rockabilly_01.htm[/url]

after a bit of a search on the internet, it seems that these are refered to as a CCB (cheap chinese bass/cheap cr*ppy bass) ....but its the most expensive one I can afford. Ive trawled the net for decent second hand one, but they are still way out of my price range. I cant go any higher pricewise...I got a tax refund..and my missus says I can get a DB as she knows I want one..plus me and some friends started a rockabilly band a few months back and my guitar just isnt cutting it soundwise.

Ok so its not gonna be as good as 3 grand bass obviously, but surely they arent that bad ????

Edited by ChrisF

The cheaper Thomann & Gear4music are just about OK for the money that you're paying. I'm looking afer a Gear4Music bass for a friend while she moves house and while it sounds ok, the action is stupidly high and the materials are a little bit suspect - just tuning it up makes the whole thing creak and groan to the point where you think it will actually implode. Personally I would be very, very wary of relying on one of these basses for a gig.

A G4M bass (Thomann rockabilly basses are quite likely to have been made by the same factory) is fine if you just want to find out if double basss is for you without a lot of cash outlay. However you will need £120 or so on top if the purchase price to get it set up so that it is playable for a beginner.

If you have £500 to spend, I would encourage you to keep scouring the for sale forums, ebay and gumtree for a second hand Stentor student bass or similar, something will come up eventually.

If you really can't wait, then go ahead with the Thomann or G4M bass, but allow yourself around £100 for a set up and £90 for a set of low tension strings (Innovation Silver Slaps should be perfect). Also be aware that if you want to upgrade to a better bass at some point, you'll find your cheap bass will be difficult to sell and you certainly won't get back any of the money you've put into set ups or strings.

Honestly, I think the Rev's post above is absolutely spot on. You'll live with whatever instrument you do get for quite along time, and it'll make all the difference if it plays well.

Trying to learn on a poor instrument sounds like a nightmare to me. Tough enough on a decent one.

hmmmm ok...deep down I know you guys are right but.... I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!! :D :D ......I will keep an eye on ebay etc.

When you say "set up" what does that involve ????? ...I thought it was a just a case of putting some different strings on it.....I take it there is more to it than that ????

ok...so Ive got my eye on one on ebay. It looks like a decent one, although there is no info on make etc..the seller says it belonged to his uncle who retired from playing just over 10 years ago.....looks a good solid bass.