Why become a member? ×

Is a gear4music upright any good???

ChrisF

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1339000934' post='1682255']
When you say "set up" what does that involve ????? ...I thought it was a just a case of putting some different strings on it.....I take it there is more to it than that ????
[/quote]

Not by a long shot :lol: .
A set up for a DB can be as little as filing the nut and bridge slots to the correct width, to lowering and re-profiling the bridge and up to a fingerboard re-shoot (planing and reshaping).

If the G4M bass I'm babysitting is anything to go by, you'll need the bridge lowered and the nut slots deepened/reshaped.

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1339002370' post='1682283']
ok...so Ive got my eye on one on ebay. It looks like a decent one, although there is no info on make etc..the seller says it belonged to his uncle who retired from playing just over 10 years ago.....looks a good solid bass.
[/quote]

Can you get to see it in the flesh? If not, have the seller confirm that there aren't any cracks or splits in the body. Ask for photos of the heel and scroll ends of the neck as this is the most likely sopt for breakages. A berak here isn't the end of the world though, as long as it's been repaired properly.

By way of encouragement - I kept my eye on gumtree while I was saving up the cash for a DB. As soon as I had £1000, a lovely 1950s blonde laminate (as seen in my avatar..) came up for sale less than a mile away. I parted with £600 and spent a further £120 on strings and £250 on a re-shoot, neck reprofile and bridge re-shape. It now plays beautifully and does 2-3 gigs a week, with no problems.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1339003239' post='1682305']
By way of encouragement - I kept my eye on gumtree while I was saving up the cash for a DB. As soon as I had £1000, a lovely 1950s blonde laminate (as seen in my avatar..) came up for sale less than a mile away. I parted with £600 and spent a further £120 on strings and £250 on a re-shoot, neck reprofile and bridge re-shape. It now plays beautifully and does 2-3 gigs a week, with no problems.
[/quote]

A grand!?!?!!...blimey it would take me about ten years to save that up...honestly. I was gonn wait and try and save up 5 or 6 hundred for next year, but Ive got a windfall of 500 quid....

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1339003715' post='1682311']
A grand!?!?!!...blimey it would take me about ten years to save that up...honestly. I was gonn wait and try and save up 5 or 6 hundred for next year, but Ive got a windfall of 500 quid....
[/quote]

My point was not really about the £1000 but more about how the right things ofen appear just when you need them. Just a few weeks ago there were two decent DBs in the for sale forum which were well within your budget.

Looking on ebay, [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Double-Bass-/180900753411?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item2a1e867003"]this[/url] is kind of intersting, especially if you're going to be playing rockabilly.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1339079863' post='1683336']
The Rev's suggestion looks great - complete with pick up and mojo. A really cheap way to get going.
[/quote]

Well...Ive got it on watch, but I must admit Im not very impressed with either the picture or the description.....looks like a lot of old fire wood to me....or am I missing something ???

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1339086475' post='1683465']
Well...Ive got it on watch, but I must admit Im not very impressed with either the picture or the description.....looks like a lot of old fire wood to me....or am I missing something ???
[/quote]

It's the chance to get in without worries and give it a go that's very attractive. Myself, I'd go for the one you mentioned earlier, the 'uncle' job (subject to some investigation) but if you're planning on rockabilly... :)

Al;so, if you're going for second hand value, pay no attention to how battered a bass may look. It's the fundamental quality and sound that matters. Mine wouldn't win any beauty competitions, but i love her dearly.

Ok...so Ive had a good look at it again.And I showed the missus..and she loves it..always a good sign. Its growing on me the more I look at it.....so.....

If I got her ( Ive gone from "it" to "her" already :D )a few questions....

1.....what would be a good price ??..obviously the cheaper the better...but is the "buy it now" a good price ??
2.....What would you suggest I do after purchase??....re: set up etc...new strings ??? ...maybe a bit of TLC from an expert (how much is all that gonna cost??) ....I assume the bridge will need replacing as its set low ????

I keep flipping back to the picture whilst typing this....and I think Im in love :blush: its pretty in an Uma Therman way rather than in a Holly Willoughby way....or am I being blinded by the excitement of owning my first bass ?? ...damn it Im 47 not 17 :D

I'd say get a lesson. A good teacher would tell you what you need in the way of setup and at the same time you'd get tips on how not to hurt yourself etc.

A luthier setup will cost anything from £40 to £200 depending on what you want doing. Again, you could ask for a recommendation on here.

btw, which one are you going to get, the rockabilly one or the 'uncle' one?

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1339090846' post='1683553']
I'd say get a lesson. A good teacher would tell you what you need in the way of setup and at the same time you'd get tips on how not to hurt yourself etc.

A luthier setup will cost anything from £40 to £200 depending on what you want doing. Again, you could ask for a recommendation on here.

btw, which one are you going to get, the rockabilly one or the 'uncle' one?
[/quote]

Yup...Im planing on some lessons when I find a local teacher......

as for which bass...Im hedging my bets. Keeping an eye on both...although the "rockabilly one" finishes first......

I reckon either will do the job. The choice comes down to whether you feel lucky.

The 'rockabilly' one has the advantage of being owned by a double bass teacher, so it's going to be in good working order and likely not require a set up. As for the low bridge - that's exactly what you want if you're going to be slapping rockabilly style. It's a 50s Framus ply (proabably) so it's as solid as you like and will easily cope with being chucked in the back of a van

The 'uncle' bass is potenially a good buy. It's got a decent vintage due to the pins sticking out from the side of the scroll - you don't get those on modern basses, so it [b]could[/b] be a bargain, turn of the century bass.
The only thing that would concern me is that it probably hasn't been played or maintained for 10 years, so there could be structural issues that the seller isn't aware of. Also, the seller doesn't state if the bass is solid or laminate and admits that they don't know anything about double basses, so he can't answer any technical questions. A solid bass which hasn't been looked after and possibly stored in unsuitable conditions for 10 years may be a massive luthier's bill waiting to happen.
If you can get to try the bass first, you might spot potential problems, but as as a newbie yourself you might not know what to look for...... Do you know any experienced DB players whou could look at it for you?

If I was in your position, with limited funds, I'd be leaning towards the 'Rockabilly' bass as there are unlikely to be any nasty suprises and the seller knows what he's talking about.

If it was me spending the money, i'd be all over the 'uncle' bass, but only if I could see it first and I had a £500 contingency fund for repair work. It could be a really nice, turn of the century carved bass worth 3 times what the seller is asking.... or it might not.

Thanks for the replies. I know nothing about DBs...now if it was motorbikes Im ya man :D ......so I dont really know what Im looking for with regard to older ones. Which is partly why I was gonna go for a new one....until you lot put me off :gas:

As for the bug biting me...it did that 33 years ago :D ......been a rockabilly since then, but only just started playing (had to sell my bike after a couple of nasty smashes..and needed a new pastime) ....my plan is definately to upgrade the bass in a few years time.

ok....so I think Ive found the perfect bass for me ....it a Boosey and Hawkes 400 ....for £350 ...looks in perfect condition. Opinions asap please as Im very tempted to buy it now, but I will hold off for a few hours......

Edited by ChrisF

after a bit of research on the web it looks like its a Chechoslovakian model......

no replies yet...surely you arent all watching bloomin football :D

..anyway...Im going for it......

Edited by ChrisF

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1339235108' post='1685612']
Sorry mate, was out gigging.
That looks great, a really nice find and a good price.
Let us know how you get on.
[/quote]

lol....I thought it might be something like that...either that or you lot were just proving to me that you all have really cool lives..unlike me :( .....last night should have been practice night for me too, but our guitarist (and owner of our r[color="#000000"]ehearsal [/color]room) was playing cricket :angry:

must admit I was very pleased with myself when I found it. Ive contacted him via email and text,and said I want it,but no reply yet...maybe Im being a bit too in-ya-face for him.....but Im excited :blush: :blush:

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1339243400' post='1685776']
Best of luck. My baby is Czech too. :)
[/quote]

cool....... B) B)

I just wish the bloke would hurry up and contact me....Im hoping he was gigging last night and woke up late :mellow:

ok..so Im off to see it tomorrow. Anything I should look out for ???

It doesnt have a spike/endpin ....are these universal ??? ...as in would I be able to get one off ebay or somewhere to fit it????

You can buy endpins and gigbags fairly cheaply - Thomman is a good pace to start, as is the for sale forum here. If it's just the metal rod that's missing, then no problem, you can fit that yourself. If the collar is missing as well, then you might need to take the bass to a luthier to fit your new one. Not a huge expense, but worth bearing in mind if you're on a strict budget.

When you see it, check for cracks in the front and back. Check that the bridge isn't warped - a little bit of a bend is acceptable but serious deformation would require a new bridge, which won't be cheap.
Check the edges for any signs of the front or back peeling away. If the bass is a laminate (plywood) there may be a bit of lifting or separation of the layers - not a major issue in itself but it could be a sign of deeper damage so inspect any such areas closely.
Check the neck join for cracks or evidence of a break. Neck breaks aren't uncommon on old basses and as long as the repair is good and solid it's nothing to worry about. A shoddy repair is not good and if you think it looks half arsed, walk away..
Check the scroll for cracks and breaks, especially at the top of the neck. Check that the machines aren't overly stiff or damaged.

When you play the bass, don't focus overly on the sound as a new or different set of strings will make a lot of difference. Instead, think about how the neck feels. Is it comfortable for you to play? Obviously, a DB neck is huge compared to an electric bass but some necks out here are cut huge to give strength to cheap woods. Even if you've never played a DB before, the neck shouldn't feel daunting. Check for any worn spots on the fingerboard. If a bass hasn't been maintained over it's playing career, hollows can develop under the '5th fret' position which will cause buzzing when you stop the note. This isn't a terminal issue as a fingerboard shoot will remove them, but it will mean a trip to a luthier and a bill in the region of £150, depending on the extent of the wear.

Try not to get overexcited about the prospect of buying this bass as it will blind you to potential problems.Approach it in the same way you would buying a used car - there's always a risk of buying a lemon and caveat emptor applies... Be rational and a little bit suspicious as repair bills could end up doubling the cost. If something doesn't look or feel right, walk away - there will be other basses.

Good luck!