Why become a member? ×

Is a gear4music upright any good???

ChrisF

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1339362474' post='1687562']
Not good?
[/quote]

well....pretty much as soon as I saw it I thought " Im not spending £350 of my hard earned cash on[i] that" ....[/i]and my mate told me he thought the same. I just had all the things I was gonna have to buy for it and do to it to get it to where I want it, buzzing around in my head. The numbers just didnt make sense. Seriously considering a new Thomann.....at least I can just buy a pickup and play the darn thing....but I dunno yet :blink:

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1339365807' post='1687630']
Seriously considering a new Thomann.....at least I can just buy a pickup and play the darn thing....but I dunno yet :blink:
[/quote]

Yeah, this might be the path of least resistance. It may not be a brilliant bass, but at least you'll be playing.....

TBH, for all that we bang on about not buying CCBs, I don't think many of us on here have much experience of them. Yes, the G4M bass I've got is crap compared to my 50s ply, but with a decent set of strings and a set up, it would probably be playable enough. Maybe you should buy the Thomann bass and prove us all wrong!

Edited by TheRev

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1339418683' post='1688093']
Maybe you should buy the Thomann bass and prove us all wrong!
[/quote]

lol..ya never know ;)

Although there has been a development.

I will try to keep this short...honest

One of the gutarists in my band also plays in another band...they do weddings n birthdays etc..playing mostly pop and rock stuff. Anyway, the bass player in that band is the step dad of the person who cuts my wife n kids hair. She was here today, and asked how I was getting on, and my wife told her I was after a double bass. She said "Gary (her step dad) has one of those and he never uses it, Im sure he would sell it to Chris"

Unfortunately he is in Spain until the end of the week :( So I have to be patient...which Im not very good at :lol:

Just when I had resigned myself to getting a Thomann.... DBs seem to be coming out of nowhere. Is a Stentor 2 any good ??

oh...after a trawl through this site it looks like the answer is no....ah well

Edited by ChrisF

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1339448570' post='1688772']
Just when I had resigned myself to getting a Thomann.... DBs seem to be coming out of nowhere. Is a Stentor 2 any good ??

oh...after a trawl through this site it looks like the answer is no....ah well
[/quote]

Depends on whether the set up etc has already been done.

Also remember that not all DBs are created equal, you can be surprised at how good a cheap bass can be. I bought a plywood Antoni via this forum and it's fine and cost all of £250. Don't despair just keep looking.

Steve

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1339446051' post='1688719']
Seen this?

Might be a bit far away for you, but it looks worth checking out.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/178693-old-european-double-bass-for-sale-in-need-of-tlc/"]http://basschat.co.u...in-need-of-tlc/[/url]
[/quote]

Hands off, I'm having that :D

I'm taking the plunge too. 30 years of electric bass, and I've decided to have a go at DB. I'm clueless when it comes to what's good and what isn't with DBs, but I figured something with a few years on the clock, and a bit of mojo, is a good place to start.

Good luck with your search

lol...its all yours Rayman.....too bloomin far for me to go :lol:

No set up on either of the Stentors that I still have on watch...I think they have been used by weird people...ya know..the ones who dont slap, but use a bow :gas: :gas: ..although if I can get one for a knock down price it will be ok...but this money is burning a hole in my pocket :D

[quote name='oggiesnr' timestamp='1339482177' post='1688953']
I bought a plywood Antoni via this forum and it's fine and cost all of £250. Don't despair just keep looking.

Steve
[/quote]

Oh now ya tell me. :rolleyes: ..I turned one down for a very cheap price because I thought they were no good :blush: :blush:

ok...so whats a good price for a stentor 2 ??? It will need strings....but looks in superb condition....

Im not worried about set up..because after an extensive search on the web I reckon there isnt much that I cant do myself.

Strings...easy :D

Bridge....easy...anyone over the age of about 16 that cant use a small needle file probably has to write with a crayon :gas:

Fingerboard...well if it isnt as flat as it should be...easy...

Baring in mind that I work with my hands (electrician) and Im very good at working with wood too.....I dont think there is much I couldnt do.....he says bravely/stupidly (delete as applicable ;) :D )

Edited by ChrisF

well, after lots of messing about with ebayers who try to bump up the price with the help of friends :angry: ..and a bass that looked nothing like its picture :( etc etc......

Ive taken the plunge and bought a Thomann. With 3 years warranty..and, by all accounts, great service...I thought what the heck. My theory is that within those 3 years I will have either thrown it through a window and given up...or the band will be doing so well that I can afford a more expensive one ;) :D

[quote name='lockpicker1969' timestamp='1339930297' post='1696324']
Nice one Chris. i know you will enjoy it and Thomann are very reliable
[/quote]

cheers...looks like you n me are the only ones that think so ;) :D

[quote name='bassace' timestamp='1339931164' post='1696349']
I don't own a Thomann but I know they've got a great reputation. You'll do OK.
[/quote]

Thanks...I will keep you all posted on how it sounds and looks..and on the build quality.....

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1339930852' post='1696342']

cheers...looks like you n me are the only ones that think so ;) :D
[/quote]
Au contraire..... Thomann as a company are fantastic and if I needed a new bass in a hurry, I would would buy their Thomann 22 bass without even stopping to think. My concern was with the Gear 4 Music basses that you mentioned at the beginning of the thread and with the potential issues of quality control on a new cheap double bass.
Anyway, glad you've got yourself sorted. Post many, many lovely pics when your bass arrives.

I have to say that, my own experiences with buying a new bass were summed up quite easily.

If you have less that £3K, everyone will tell you what you are buying is likely to be a piece of crap. The difference between a £300 piece of crap and a £1500 piece of crap is subjective but they are both crap. So I figured, well, if they are all crap, what can possibly go wrong? So I bought one from Gedo Musik (£1400ish) and it was fine, got me playing an gigging and recording as a double bass player. I am not even remotely gassing for a new/better one (not my style; have had the same electric for 26 years). I play it through the same Eden Metro I use for the Wal and it sounds perfectly fit for purpose. I use a Fishman Platinum Pro pre-amp (secondhand on here) and K&K pick up from Golihur. It all works and I sound like a double bass player - from here on, anything else is a bonus.

My only advice is get a lesson - you can do harm to your arms and hands with bad technique so caution is advised but, otherwise, just get in there and paddle like ****!

Cheers all for your support. I suppose the next step is the mic etc....especially as our 2 guitarists play so loud :blink:

I was thinking of one of these.....on ebay...Item number: 200675950522 to get me started...cant afford much more at the moment as Ive blown my budget on the bass....any good do you reckon ???

Im definately going to get some lessons.....I think that the nearest person to me who plays rockabilly is Emma Goss....she is quite reasonably priced. I saw her play a whille back and if I can get to be just half as good I will be a very happy man B)

Edited by ChrisF

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1340037490' post='1698065']

I was thinking of one of these.....on ebay...Item number: 200675950522 to get me started...cant afford much more at the moment as Ive blown my budget on the bass....any good do you reckon ???

[/quote]

I've never heard one of those, but it will certainly get you started. In my experience with cheaper DB pickups, they sound OK but don't last last very long, especially if you're gigging a lot or moving them between basses. Once you've got a bit more money saved up, keep an eye on the for sale forums for a K&K bassmax or a Schatten RB2.

Um, have you considered your preamp requirements?