Why become a member? ×

Is a gear4music upright any good???

ChrisF

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1340096954' post='1698908']
I've never heard one of those, but it will certainly get you started. In my experience with cheaper DB pickups, they sound OK but don't last last very long, especially if you're gigging a lot or moving them between basses. Once you've got a bit more money saved up, keep an eye on the for sale forums for a K&K bassmax or a Schatten RB2.

Um, have you considered your preamp requirements?
[/quote]

They said I dont need a pre-amp with that pickup......I hope they are right :huh: .....and, yeah Im gonna get something more expensive when I get some spare cash...whenever the heck that will be :( :(

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1340122991' post='1699490']
They said I dont need a pre-amp with that pickup......I hope they are right :huh: .....and, yeah Im gonna get something more expensive when I get some spare cash...whenever the heck that will be :( :(
[/quote]

If the impedance on your amp input is high enough, then no, you won't need a preamp. In all honesty, you don't 'need' a pre with any piezo pickup, it's just that a lot of them sound horrible and nasal without one. My Realist is a bit middly without a pre, my bassmax is a bit too muddy. It's all down to personal preference really. I have heard of people using stomp box tuners or other effects to help match impedance - just plug into as many different things as possible and see what happens.

If you find that you do need a preamp and you're a bit handy with a soldering iron, you could build one of Francis Deck's piezo preamps.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~fdeck/bass/quickand.pdf

This bloke is considered a demi-god for his preamp designs over on Talkbass.

Bass delayed thanks to the cock up by nat west bank :angry: :angry:

Anyway...I think Ive found somewhere to keep my bass....but I need to know how deep they are on average...as in front to back. Cant find anything about depth on the net...

....anyone got a tape measure and their bass handy ?? :D

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1340029279' post='1697869']
If you have less that £3K, everyone will tell you what you are buying is likely to be a piece of crap. The difference between a £300 piece of crap and a £1500 piece of crap is subjective but they are both crap. So I figured, well, if they are all crap, what can possibly go wrong? So I bought one from Gedo Musik (£1400ish) and it was fine, got me playing an gigging and recording as a double bass player. I am not even remotely gassing for a new/better one
[/quote]

My experience was a bit different. I bought a used laminate bass in a private sale for £500. It was a good starter bass (plays easily, difficult to damage!) and I still have a use for it (busking) but the sound is a bit lifeless. Loud but boomy. So I did want a better bass and I got a carved bass from Gedo Musik a couple of months ago (it was reduced so I got a great deal) and it's so much more satisfying to play. Plus I can hear my intonation a lot more easily!

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1340746451' post='1709177']
16 inches !?!?! ooer missus ;) :D

cheers...Im building a cupboard just for my bass...keep it nice and safe in this mad house :D
[/quote]

You could just get one of those G4M polystyrene cases that are all over ebay.

[quote name='TheRev' timestamp='1340797854' post='1709685']
You could just get one of those G4M polystyrene cases that are all over ebay.
[/quote]

I had a look on ebay, and I reckon I could make several cupboards for the price of one case, but cheers for the thought.

Im going to convert my gym into a gym/music room. From the look on my missus face every time I mention the DB, it looks like I will be practicing out there anyway ;) :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Well..my bass finally turned up today. All Ive done is play it since it arrived..I love her..and have named her Holly (after Holly Willobooby ..both curvy and gorgeous )

Even I can tell she aint perfect..the strings will probably need changing soonish.....but for what she cost I think it was money well spent.

I will post a pic or two when I get sorted out.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='fatback' timestamp='1342967586' post='1743226']
Cool indeed.

Demands some sharp dressing by the player. I see a big footwear bill coming. :)
[/quote]

lol.....footwear Ive got. Its the peg trousers that cost a mint.....

Managed to break the D string 2 days after getting her :blush: ...emailed Thomann..and they sent one out straight away.

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1343424098' post='1750748']
Congratulations.. welcome to the never ending, and expensive pursuit of sonic happiness :)
[/quote]

Lol...your not wrong there. Im already thinking about new strings and amplification and all sorts of other things.

Due to holidays, there wont be a band practice for a couple of weeks.....cant wait to show her off to the rest of the band :D

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1343462811' post='1751047']
:) welcome to the mad house,nice looking bass you've got there.
[/quote]

Thanks...gotta admit I was smitten the moment I unwrapped her.

Just need to save up for some Innovation strings now.

Cant afford anything fancy in the way of mic at the moment so I was going to get either a [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200618597590?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200618597590?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648[/url] or a [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200675950522?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648"]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200675950522?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2648[/url] ...what do you think ???? even though I will only be playing Rockabilly, do I need the neck/slap pickup ??.

i really like my innovation super silvers they give a real nice 50's tone once they're played in & have a decent tension to them,not too much though,punchy as hell too.
they're not too dear either [url="http://www.stringexpress.co.uk/dbass.htm"]http://www.stringexpress.co.uk/dbass.htm[/url]
i don't have a slap (clickey) pickup at the moment & manage just fine.but i will be buying one very soon though.

£75 is a very good price for a set..but out of the question for a few months. Its birthday season in my house at the moment....comes of having 4 kids I suppose :( ;) ...3 of them with birthdays within a 3 week period.

I am currently using Innovation Silver Slaps. Had them on for about 5 years. Slightly lower tension than I prefer but that's nitpicking.

I've only replaced one during that time which was caused by the string biting too deeply into the bridge and the winding unravelling.

A decent string at a decent price.

I've not used either of the two pickups you mentioned to know if they are any good tonally, but for under 40 quid they may be useful backups if and when you decide to upgrade.

Clicky pick ups are subjective, I have mine almost turned off as I like a 'natural' click and not having the click overwhelming the notes. Either way, only you will know whether you need one or not.

Edited by invicta59

[quote name='invicta59' timestamp='1343491111' post='1751414']
I've not used either of the two pickups you ,motioned to know if they are any good tonally, but for under 40 quid they may be useful backups if and when you decide to upgrade.

Clicky pick ups are subjective, I have mine almost turned off as I like a 'natural' click and not having the click overwhelming the notes. Either way, only you will know whether you need one or not.
[/quote]

When I can afford it I am going to get a much better one, and Im not too impressed with the click over powering the notes either, so I think you have helped me to make up my mind....thanks :)