Why become a member? ×

Drumchat?! (split from Jazz drum kit on the way)

Kiwi

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1338503367' post='1675704']
Yay..! I have a ton of lovely topics to start the ball rolling (Birch v Maple, which sticks are best for metal, how to maintain 260 bpm with my double pedal, Zildjian v Paiste, favourite stick twirl...). Just a teaser, there's loads more. Come on Mods, let's get this show on the road..!
[/quote]

Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day. If you guys would be prepared to form a core of friendly and welcoming people, a group who could set up a positive vibe and make the forum friendly for other members to use. we could definitely look into putting a basic forum together for you. Although it would depend on how much time Ben has.

Sorry for the Hijack here; we're all waiting with baited breath to see how the reception of the Mapex is going, but...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338582755' post='1676920']...vibe...[/quote]
No, let's keep it to just drums for now. Too much percu kills the percu.

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338582755' post='1676920']...putting a basic forum together...[/quote]
Again, no. Drummerworld already fills this 'niche'. We need a [i]real[/i] forum. Just like Basschat, only better.
(Please.)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338582755' post='1676920']...how much time Ben has.[/quote]
Big Ben has TIM all the TIM.

More cowbell, anyone..?

Now back to the exciting bit...

...and then..?

...and then..?

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1338585840' post='1676989']
Again, no. Drummerworld already fills this 'niche'. We need a [i]real[/i] forum. Just like Basschat, only better.
(Please.)
[/quote]
It would be great if Drumchat was better than Basschat! I'll separate this into another thread out of respect to Sarah and how about we compare notes? I'll come at it from the planning side.

What things/qualities/aspects of Basschat do you think should be in Drumchat?

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338588674' post='1677071']
It would be great if Drumchat was better than Basschat! I'll separate this into another thread out of respect to Sarah and how about we compare notes? I'll come at it from the planning side.

What things/qualities/aspects of Basschat do you think should be in Drumchat?
[/quote]

Brillo..! (...and yes, apologies to Sarah for walking over her fine thread; such patience..!).

I would humbly suggest that whatever is simplest/easiest/least costly for you would be a good start. A 'slimmed down' version would be great until wants/needs rear their [s]ugly[/s] costly head. Here's a modified 'rip' from this very site, adjusted...

Introductions
General Discussion
Off Topic (of course..!)
Site News
Acoustic Drums and Kits
Electronic Drums and Kits
Cymbals
Accessories
Ethnic
Miscellaneous
Recording
Gigs
Drummers Wanted and Available
Theory and Technique
For Sale (..?)
Wanted (..?)

...as starters..? Sounds familiar..?
The only 'feature' which 'bugs' me here is the 'pop-up' of the OP's details; this has already been a subject of discussion, so I won't labour the point; suffice it to say that I have not once welcomed this event, and from a laptop, it's a PITB to shift the cursor away. 'Nuff said.
I have been a regular on several drum fora; the biggest drawback to them, from my POV is that they are Yankee, for the most part, and there are many traits of similitude with T***Bass, in that 'flame wars' are common, or they are over-moderated beyond blandness. The 'style' here is the key to it's roaring success, and that would be the biggest feature that could be brought to any forum, I should think. Partly due to the contributers, of course (cries of 'Hear, hear' in the background...); the admin and [s]gods[/s] mods are not exempt from responsibility.
Enough from me; here's a tuppence worth (nay; thruppence...) if it helps.
Brillo..!

Ok, where's the link then..? Do I need to register/login again..? Can we avoid publicity from Tama, please (No, that was a joke. Sorry, it just escaped me, won't happen again...) Come on, TIM, we're waiting on you (tapping his foot to a catchy 7/8 rhythm...)

Oh, and almost forgot...

Brillo..!

PS, and before the pedants chime in...

[quote]
[left][size=4]When you agree with someone, do you say “Here Here!” or “Hear Hear” ? And what does it mean? What is the origin of “Here Here” or “Hear Hear”?[/size][/quote][/left]

[quote]
[size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][left]“Hear, hear” is a shortened version of “hear ye, hear ye,” which goes back to British Parliament in the 1600s, if not earlier. The expression was — and is — used to draw attention to what someone is saying. It implies agreement with the speaker or, in modern times, the writer.[/left][/font][/color][/size]
[left][size=4][color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]The correct term is, “hear, hear!” It is an abbreviation for “hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!”[/font][/color][/size][/quote][/left]

[left][color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][size=4]... but I fully expect a row over this to thunder on for at least a week. Let's be 'aving ye...[/size][/size][/font][/color][/left]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1338594015' post='1677130']
PS, and before the pedants chime in...

[/left]

[/left]

[left][color=#333333][font=Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][size=3][size=4]... but I fully expect a row over this to thunder on for at least a week. Let's be 'aving ye...[/size][/size][/font][/color][/left]
[/quote]

Thanks for clearing that up. "Here Here" really grates me :angry:

Hey Daddy-o, the basic forum would be very similar to Basschat but perhaps without a few side features for the time being. There would also be an opportunity for enthusiastic members with the right qualities to take a key role in influencing how the forum develops, as well. The culture you referred to is something we've worked hard to develop over the years. We can train those members and equip them with the skills that are needed and also learn from our mistakes.

We didn't have a specific plan for when to roll out the other forums but if a core of people are enthusiastic and positive about it, I don't think we could ask for a better start. The forum would ultimately need to be self funding. So software licenses, hosting costs and technical support would need covering by us in the shorter term but we'll think about ways to make it work through Basschat.

To be followed with interest...
[url="http://www.emoticonland.net/emoticone-smiley_panneaux_gratuit.html"][/url] [url="http://www.emoticonland.net/emoticone-smiley_panneaux_gratuit.html"][/url]
[url="http://www.emoticonland.net/emoticone-smiley_panneaux_gratuit.html"][/url]

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338603197' post='1677177']
Hey Daddy-o...
[/quote]
[url="http://www.emoticonland.net/emoticone-smiley_panneaux_gratuit.html"][/url]

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1338582755' post='1676920']
Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day. [u]If you guys would be prepared to form a core of friendly and welcoming people, a group who could set up a positive vibe and make the forum friendly for other members to use.[/u] we could definitely look into putting a basic forum together for you. Although it would depend on how much time Ben has.
[/quote]

Of course! You know me, friendly and welcoming is my middle name! :lol: seriously though sounds great. You've got at least 2 members already :)

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1338593423' post='1677128']
Brillo..! (...and yes, apologies to Sarah for walking over her fine thread; such patience..!).

I would humbly suggest that whatever is simplest/easiest/least costly for you would be a good start. A 'slimmed down' version would be great until wants/needs rear their [s]ugly[/s] costly head. Here's a modified 'rip' from this very site, adjusted...

Introductions
General Discussion
Off Topic (of course..!)
Site News
Acoustic Drums and Kits
Electronic Drums and Kits
Cymbals
Accessories
Ethnic
Miscellaneous
Recording
Gigs
Drummers Wanted and Available
Theory and Technique
For Sale (..?)
Wanted (..?)

...as starters..? Sounds familiar..?
The only 'feature' which 'bugs' me here is the 'pop-up' of the OP's details; this has already been a subject of discussion, so I won't labour the point; suffice it to say that I have not once welcomed this event, and from a laptop, it's a PITB to shift the cursor away. 'Nuff said.
I have been a regular on several drum fora; the biggest drawback to them, from my POV is that they are Yankee, for the most part, and there are many traits of similitude with T***Bass, in that 'flame wars' are common, or they are over-moderated beyond blandness. The 'style' here is the key to it's roaring success, and that would be the biggest feature that could be brought to any forum, I should think. Partly due to the[i] [u]contributors[/u], [/i]of course (cries of 'Hear, hear' in the background...); the admin and [s]gods[/s] mods are not exempt from responsibility.
Enough from me; here's a tuppence worth (nay; thruppence...) if it helps.
Brillo..!

Ok, where's the link then..? Do I need to register/login again..? Can we avoid publicity from Tama, please (No, that was a joke. Sorry, it just escaped me, won't happen again...) Come on, TIM, we're waiting on you (tapping his foot to a catchy 7/8 rhythm...)

Oh, and almost forgot...

Brillo..!
[/quote]

These sound like pretty good categories. Obviously you would want to split them up into General/OT, Gear, Technique, Classifieds etc like on here and I would also suggest in the gear section you add a forum for hardware, since people will want a place to talk about drum pedals, hi hat stands etc. If you need someone to moderate for the first couple of months I could do it until you find someone more competent :lol:

Also speaking of being a pedant, "contributors" does not have an e in it ;)

Edited by EdwardHimself

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1338624357' post='1677246']...double para-diddles and the like.[/quote]

Oh no, don't get us started on double para-diddles..! We had so much bother last time with flams. :rolleyes:

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1338636630' post='1677430']...
Also speaking of being a pedant, "contributors" does not have an e in it ;)[/quote]

Guilty as charged, I bow to superior erudition. It probably stems from my aversion to Yankee terms (such as -ized, instead of -ised...), but mistaken this time. Sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1349471179' post='1826931']
Why 'maybe'..? :blink:
[/quote]

Are you implying that it's definitely that reason? :P
Well I only know a few drummers & there's not many of them that go online. Saying that, the one's that do go online are pretty darn good.

OK, I'll rephrase it. Maybe a lack of good drummers that can be bothered going on line.