Why become a member? ×

Orange Micro Terror

Doctor J

Similarly to the Blackstar HT5H it's a great sounding head through the matching cab but (again same at the HT5H) once you put it through a good 4x12... just, wow. The price just seems totally disconnected from good the thing sounds. Gets incredibly close the Tiny Terror (albeit a fair bit quieter)

I've used 15-20W amps through small speakers for years, and they work really well for containing excess volume while still working hard enough to sound good. My one concern with this is that it would be a dirt-only amp (Orange have tended toward this with some of their other tiny amps) and lack versatility, my preference these days being to play through a cleaner amp and then add dirt from other sources. But for a lower volume rock gig, I could imagine this doing a great job, just using the controls on the amp and guitar. The one thing I missed from the demo (I watched it all) was to see if it cleaned up rolling back the guitar volume.

Looks like a lot of fun though.

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' timestamp='1338731859' post='1678544']
I've used 15-20W amps through small speakers for years, and they work really well for containing excess volume while still working hard enough to sound good. My one concern with this is that it would be a dirt-only amp (Orange have tended toward this with some of their other tiny amps) and lack versatility, my preference these days being to play through a cleaner amp and then add dirt from other sources. But for a lower volume rock gig, I could imagine this doing a great job, just using the controls on the amp and guitar. The one thing I missed from the demo (I watched it all) was to see if it cleaned up rolling back the guitar volume.

Looks like a lot of fun though.
[/quote]

Definately need to mic this up to gig it or would have to run it literally flat out and probably still get a bit lost. Mic'ed up though no problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Bear in mind this uses a SS power stage, so it will probably not [i]seem[/i] a lot louder than the Epi. Mark suggested it would need mic'ing for gigs, and that would seem about right, although if you play it through a 4X12 with celestion G12Hs it will be a lot louder than through a small, low-efficiency 1X8 cab.

Yeah I saw these in PMT when I bought my bass rig, I totally want one, it's the cutest thing I've ever seen and really sounds amazing for the size of it! I really love all the Orange 'lunchbox' amp heads, they are lovely. I would have tried the bass terror when I was in there but they didn't have one. I am gonna buy the Micro Terror though one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Just bear in mind that they're nothing to do with the old VHT, just a Chinese company who bought the rights to the VHT name from Stephen Fryette a couple of years ago and make ultra cheap amplification like Behringer and that ilk. All "proper" VHT amps are now sold under the name Fryette.

Yes absolutely, if you're after lightweight the Micro Terror is amazing and I have never seen a cuter piece of kit. I have heard it in action in the shop and it sounds incredible for what it is, and plugged into a decent cab it makes an amazing amount of noise. Truth be told I was all set to buy one until I realised I could get an actual real valve amp for the money, but I was not so much concerned with the weight. I know they are not the 'original' VHT company but the stuff they make now has a very good reputation.