Why become a member? ×

Which order and how long?

warwickhunt

In order to really put our guitarist off just as he launches into the umpteenth solo I've added a pedal to my arsenal.

Question is, is there a preferred order in which they should be placed and is there a maximum length I should be using for the leads to and from the amp effects loop (have to use it in there due to some form of impedance problem when driving the front of my Thunderfunk).

I presently run my pedals right to left but where does the new edition (bassballs) go, I'm unlikely to be using it in conjunction with the small stone (but then again :) ).

My bass is Warwick and active if that has any bearing on the lead length (don't see how it can but you never know).

Cheers guys

[quote name='warwickhunt' post='18809' date='Jun 16 2007, 02:44 PM']In order to really put our guitarist off just as he launches into the umpteenth solo I've added a pedal to my arsenal.

Question is, is there a preferred order in which they should be placed and is there a maximum length I should be using for the leads to and from the amp effects loop (have to use it in there due to some form of impedance problem when driving the front of my Thunderfunk).

I presently run my pedals right to left but where does the new edition (bassballs) go, I'm unlikely to be using it in conjunction with the small stone (but then again :) ).

My bass is Warwick and active if that has any bearing on the lead length (don't see how it can but you never know).

Cheers guys

[/quote]

I think I'd run them as octave > bassballs > stone > chorus, but ultimately, you have to swap them around and see what sounds best to you...
Patch cables should be as short as possible, usually 15 to 30 cm but it doesn't make much difference... What I would do is get better cables than those. I used to have similar and they sucked tone. I only use Dave Hall cables with Switchcraft plugs now...

It wasn't so much the patch cables (which I was/am going to replace) it was the leads from amp effects send to the input of the pedal and back again. Ideally I want the pedals in front of me, this hasn't been a problem in the past as I've gone bass - pedals - amp input. However I can't do that with the newly acquired TF, the pedals have to go in the effects loop. So what is the max recommended lead length for this task?

Do the pedals work OK in the FX loop ?

Stomp boxes like these are usually intended to be placed between the amp and bass. Have you tried them out in the FX loop to make sure the work ok ?

I would do this first (using any spare leads to hand) just to make sure everything works ok.

I don't know that there's a "maximum" cable length for the FX loop. It's generally good practice to keep leads as short as is practical (i.e. as long as you need them to be but not much longer). The FX loop should be a stronger signal than the output of the bass so it should be able to drive longer cable runs.

Use good quality cables throughout (including patch leads) to get the best out everything. I suggest you contact obbm here about leads, you could also PM him with this specific question.

[quote name='BOD2' post='18873' date='Jun 16 2007, 05:50 PM']Do the pedals work OK in the FX loop ?

Stomp boxes like these are usually intended to be placed between the amp and bass. Have you tried them out in the FX loop to make sure the work ok ?

I would do this first (using any spare leads to hand) just to make sure everything works ok.

I don't know that there's a "maximum" cable length for the FX loop. It's generally good practice to keep leads as short as is practical (i.e. as long as you need them to be but not much longer). The FX loop should be a stronger signal than the output of the bass so it should be able to drive longer cable runs.

Use good quality cables throughout (including patch leads) to get the best out everything. I suggest you contact obbm here about leads, you could also PM him with this specific question.[/quote]

I've run them in the effects loop fine, which is just as well because they can't be driven in front of the amp!

I'm in the process of sorting some leads with Dave at the moment I just need to finalise exactly what I want. I hate carrying loads of unneccessay leads (though I do always carry at least 1 spare), so I want to make sure that the leads to and from the pedals will be sufficiently long for any venue but not so long as to have a detriment to the sound.

[quote name='1976fenderhead' post='18820' date='Jun 16 2007, 03:28 PM']I think I'd run them as octave > bassballs > stone > chorus, but ultimately, you have to swap them around and see what sounds best to you...[/quote]

That's how I'd run it too, but as 1976FH says, ultimately, it's up to you to experiment :)