Why become a member? ×

Keytar for bass synth

gapiro

Afternoon Gents and Ladies
I am currently playing in an 80's band, which is naturally synth heavy. Now i'm a bit on the cheap side, and had an idea

What do you folks think to using a keytar (totally 80's) for bass synth ?
Essentially I have a budget of about 200 ish quid for synth based goodness, the choices are either a Zoom B3 (boring :P )or a keytar such as this :

[url="http://www.gak.co.uk/en/alesis-vortex/56698"]http://www.gak.co.uk/en/alesis-vortex/56698[/url]

which handily has a USB port which is compatiable with iphones (so iphone software for synth) and well, who wouldn't want a keytar

Anyone had any experience of keytar or anything similar?
Would the sounds be so terrible it wouldn't be worth it?

The thing with most keytars that they are rather large and and ungainly compared to the average guitar and bass. The only one I've ever been comfortable with was the Yamaha KX5 which is a more manageable size due to having shorter length (but still full width) keys. And completely authentic in style for an 80s band:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/Mike-RR.jpg[/IMG]

However, have you considered instead getting a more guitar-like controller such as the Yamaha EZ-EG? Much more comfortable to play if you are used to playing the guitar and more accurate than a pitch-to-MIDI system.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1339935052' post='1696405']
The thing with most keytars that they are rather large and and ungainly compared to the average guitar and bass. The only one I've ever been comfortable with was the Yamaha KX5 which is a more manageable size due to having shorter length (but still full width) keys. And completely authentic in style for an 80s band:

However, have you considered instead getting a more guitar-like controller such as the Yamaha EZ-EG? Much more comfortable to play if you are used to playing the guitar and more accurate than a pitch-to-MIDI system.
[/quote]
I'm not at all a guitarist, only a bassist and part time keyboard player.
I'm just looking really for the easiest way to get some good bass synth noises, and was just considering the possibility of a key tar with some good patches set up. (partly as a joke, but in theory seems like it could work?) In reality, I should imagine a good synth pedal would be best, but that is expensive.
(I also play a 35 inch 5 stringer so used to bigger basses)

I've played with all the options and even owned some of them for making bass synth sounds, from keyboard synths through various MIDI controllers to using synth-like effects on other instruments. The right choice depends on what sorts of sounds you are after and how adaptable your playing skills are.

First off, if you are replicating sounds from existing recordings that have been done with keyboard synthesisers then there is no substitute for the real thing (ie a keyboard synth). Nothing beats the accuracy and controllability of the sound as pressing keys and using the performance controls on a keyboard. All the other methods will ultimately involve compromises in your playing style and/or accuracy and repeatability of the sounds. I've seen some bassists do some fairly impressive stuff with a floor full of pedals, but it could all have been done far quicker and would have sounded better with pretty much any programmable analogue style keyboard synth.

If you've already got keyboard skills then utilising them is your best bet. To get the best out of a keytar it's all about the performance controls. You need at minimum, sustain, pitch (ideally on a ribbon controller), modulation and volume and ideally a couple of assignable control on top of that.

Oh and before I forget, all the connectors on the keytar need to be locking ones. I had to modify the MIDI out on mine from the standard 5-pin DIN socket to a locking XLR because the DIN wasn't robust enough to stay plugged in under anything other than the most sedate use leading to hanging notes and other MIDI disasters. I can't imagine that a USB connection would really be robust enough in a gigging situation.

Might I suggest you get a MicroKorg instead? I know it's not a keytar but it has such an infinite array of sounds and applications. Most keytar players that I've seen just seem to use them as MIDI controllers and instead get their actual synth sounds from an external unit, I don't know if that's indicative of the sound quality of the lower priced keytars, but it does seem that many offer quite limited parameter control of patches.

Thanks for all the information chaps.
Part of the reason for a keytar over a normal keys is because we a) already have a keys player (keys, guitar bass, vox and drums is lineup). We actually run a second keybaord stand on stage with some patches for me or the guitar to play stuff on, but it was more about expanding it a bit. I've never had a great deal of success with the synth sounds i've made using my zoom b2. I guess its also because I like to move about on stage that I considered it.

@eskimo, I was under the impression that is how the one I linked in OP worked too. It just seemed interesting that one would be able to use iPhone to control it. Maybe i'm easily impressed :D

@charic, whats the best wood for keyboards......

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1339966239' post='1697053']
@charic, whats the best wood for keyboards......
[/quote]

That depends on the style of music you're playing :P

[quote name='EskimoBassist' timestamp='1339963782' post='1696983']Most keytar players that I've seen just seem to use them as MIDI controllers and instead get their actual synth sounds from an external unit, I don't know if that's indicative of the sound quality of the lower priced keytars, but it does seem that many offer quite limited parameter control of patches.
[/quote]

If the Keytar doesn't have to have patches it can be MUCH lighter!

If you're just looking at a keytar to connect to a module or keyboard then this should do nicely :
[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00409SO9Q/ref=asc_df_B00409SO9Q8375620?smid=A2913KVEAD7FH6&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B00409SO9Q&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13895169211023929076&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt="]http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00409SO9Q/ref=asc_df_B00409SO9Q8375620?smid=A2913KVEAD7FH6&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B00409SO9Q&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13895169211023929076&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=[/url]

I couldn't find a version without the game quickly :lol:

However it does have a midi out, small ribbon control, fairly good build quality and is bloody light :)

• 2 weeks later...

Been on holiday but after the post to the rockband keyboard that got me thinking.
Rockband keyboard ~£30-40
Irig midi http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigmidi/ (£40 ish)
Maybe the moog app? £6
Under 100 quid. Got to be worth a go !?

• 8 years later...
On 17/06/2012 at 04:45, gapiro said:

Afternoon Gents and Ladies
I am currently playing in an 80's band, which is naturally synth heavy. Now i'm a bit on the cheap side, and had an idea

What do you folks think to using a keytar (totally 80's) for bass synth ?
Essentially I have a budget of about 200 ish quid for synth based goodness, the choices are either a Zoom B3 (boring :P )or a keytar such as this :

http://www.gak.co.uk/en/alesis-vortex/56698

which handily has a USB port which is compatiable with iphones (so iphone software for synth) and well, who wouldn't want a keytar

Anyone had any experience of keytar or anything similar?
Would the sounds be so terrible it wouldn't be worth it?

I have been trying to do exactly the same.  I am a keys player but have to play bass to get gigs.  My arthritis  is getting worse so I augmented my 3/4 upright with a Kayla Ubass (great sound).  But I can outplay almost any bass player when I am using keys for bass.  I have  Vortex and a Nanobass sound module.  Vortex is smaller and lighter than elec.bass but Nanobass is limited and there are wires everywhere.  I tried a Roland AX too big and sounds cheesey.  Not looking for acid, disco, metal, synth sounds,  just clean elec bass and upright.  My quest continues.