Why become a member? ×

Grooves or no grooves on Badass bridges?

Beedster

Hi all
Just moved my slotted 'bright tone' saddles to the Badass II on my Jazz and have put some old but unslotted saddles on the Badass III on my Precision. Although I have no problems with strings moving laterally (I'm using heavy strings) I think I can hear some ghost-notes/overtones on the Precision that I couldn't hear with the previous slotted saddles. I would imagine that, sonically speaking, whether a saddles is slotted or unslotted should make no difference, so am I imagining the ghost tones or is there a legitimate reason for this. Is this a problem anyone else has experienced before? Any of you guys use unslotted saddles routinely?
Cheers
Chris

I'd opt for slots myself (I filed some into my B.A.II on my Squier)
The only reason is to prevent the strings moving around - I'm quite heavy-handed.
If the strings are moving about, albeit imperceptibly, it [i]might[/i] be the cause of your overtones.
Usually, these are supposed to be caused by strings being too close to pick-ups. The saddle change hasn't significantly lowered the action, has it?

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' post='19090' date='Jun 17 2007, 11:15 AM']I'd opt for slots myself (I filed some into my B.A.II on my Squier)
The only reason is to prevent the strings moving around - I'm quite heavy-handed.
If the strings are moving about, albeit imperceptibly, it [i]might[/i] be the cause of your overtones.
Usually, these are supposed to be caused by strings being too close to pick-ups. The saddle change hasn't significantly lowered the action, has it?[/quote]

Cheers mate, they don't seem to be moving and, having played a lot today, the ghost notes seems to be on certain notes only. I suspect it might simply be dissonance caused by open strings and fretted notes being ever so slightly out, so I'm gonna hit the bridge big time and set up the intonation tomorrow. Even so, anyone else with any advice or experience please feel free to coment
Chris

Edited by Beedster

I personally havn't filed slots on the badass on my aerodyne, but then again, they're held down by tension of the strings and I can't say they move when tuned EADG, might be different if you dropped your tuning across the whole bass though.

[quote name='The Burpster' post='19440' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:35 AM']These ghost tonnes wernt thru the Tascam were they? if so I'd just play (cant remember if its Kylie or Dannii that you still have?) her plugged in before you make any changes.....
Did used to get some odd things appear to happen on mine.......[/quote]

Hi Bob, no, through am amp. Personally I'm now pretty sure it's an intonation issue to be honest. Either way, I'll check evrything with my tuner tonight and if that doesn't sort it have to scratch my ead a little more!
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Buzz' post='19399' date='Jun 18 2007, 12:02 AM']I personally havn't filed slots on the badass on my aerodyne, but then again, they're held down by tension of the strings and I can't say they move when tuned EADG, might be different if you dropped your tuning across the whole bass though.[/quote]

Hi Buzz
Pretty much what I#ve found as well. that is, the strings - somewhat surprisingly - don't sem to move at all. I've got a string-through option on the bass also which I imagine would make lateral string movement even less likely. I think you may be correct re. drop tuning
Cheers
Chris

When I put a Badass II on my Squire I filed the slots just as deep as was needed so the strings no longer popped out when playing. For me that's just a small notch in the saddle. However this bass is fretless and I play it finger-style only. If I was going to be using a pick then the slots would need to be considerably deeper.