Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds

Phil Starr

Just bought my first set of flatwounds after 5 years of playing, why does no-one tell you about this?

First of all they make playing so much easier, You lose all the squeaks and fretting noise and that smooth surface feels so effortless that my left hand just wants to move over the strings too quickly. I am having to conscientiously slow down whilst I adjust. On top of this I lost a lot of fret buzz and have lowered the action. I play with my fingers and the lack of rough windings is a dream for the right hand too.

The tone isn't as flat as i had expected, it's obviously more mellow and i ain't dialing out any top on the guitar's tone (Its a Fender Jazz by the way) but I have had worse from two month old nickels. I gigged them last night with my Harke combo and it just sat in the mix beautifully. Not sure of the synergy with my Ashdown Mag 600/Deltalite stack though, I'll try them out at this Sat's gig.

The flats are just so easy to play and flatter my probably minimal technique. The downside is they don't really reward hard playing the way my old Rotosound and Dean Markleys did. They don't really growl, just get louder, in fact they only seem to do one tone. I've obviously a lot to learn and I can see me needing to swap basses for different songs but so far I love them.

So if you are a flats virgin I'd definitely say it is worth £30 to find out. Any tips from more experienced flat players very welcome.

I tried a set and i just couldn't get them to sit right in the mix, not on stage anyway. I'm not sure how it was out front but it sounded pretty sh*te on stage (when i could hear it). Not going to put me off using flats when the occasion calls for it though, they just don't sit with the general mix and sound of the band i'm currently in.

Liam

Flats are awesome.

Of course if you've moved from rounds, you're going to get a shock as there's no zing. IMO though, once you get over it and focus in to where they sit in the mix, they're difficult to give up.

Contrary to popular belief, flats aren't dull, boomy and lifeless. Unless you EQ them like that.

Another recent convert to flats after many years of using Roto RS66. Currently enjoying La Bella Deep Talkin' 760FL. So smooth! All the benefits re ease of play, low action etc you mentioned. I'll maybe try different brands of flats, but I'm not going back to rounds.

I believe another benefit is a reduction in fret wear. What's not to like? :D

I`m currently on some D`Addario half flats,(ground down round wound things) which were a bit sticky at first but wore in nicely, to the point where full flats are going on next.
I have three gigs next weekend and don`t really want to mess about with my setup before them so once they`re out of the way, I`ll change up.
It took me a while to move away from all the mid range plectrum/slap zing of my last band to the fuller more traditional bass role but it`s very rewarding just sitting down on those low frequencies.
Anyone have any flats for sale pm me!
:ph34r:

Currently bedding in a set of d'Addario XL chromes 45-100 on the new P.
I thought I'd try them after reading all the good reports on here.
I find that they are a bit twangy compared to the EBGroup3 flats that I have used for years on my other basses.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1340281842' post='1702202']

Anyone have any flats for sale pm me!

[/quote]
I have a set of d'Addario XL Chromes 50-105 that I initially fitted to the new P but the 105 would've needed too much nut work so shortly after stringing I pulled them off and they've never really been played - £20 posted

I almost tried flats 20 years ago, but the Guitar shop I worked in only had them as single strings, no packs, and after spending an age looking for enough strings to make up a set, I discovered they were short scale! Bugger. About six months ago I decided to finally give them a try and went for Chromes. I adore them and as soon as my Wife lets me (£47!), I shall be putting them on my 5 string too. Such a lovely tone, so fast and still as good now as when I put them on. Actually this is the second Bass they've been on as I got myself a new main Bass a few weeks ago, and they're still as good as new.

I'm pleased to hear that others get as much pleasure from flatwounds as I do. I tend to buy Rotosound which to my ear sound full & warm & not at all dull.

The "feel appeal", with which I can readily agree, has been mentioned.

So if you fancy a rich, creamy bottom end, try some flatwounds.

Flats? hate 'em. naa, buy a house.
Sorry, cant be doing with them. I like a long note that I can mute myself,when I've had enough of it,
not a shortish note sonic "thud"
but then its only what I think ( and I know nowt!) its a prefered style thing really.
well you did ask!

Edited by witterth

[quote name='witterth' timestamp='1340319476' post='1702951']
Flats? hate 'em. naa, buy a house.
Sorry, cant be doing with them. I like a long note that I can mute myself,when I've had enough of it,
not a shortish note sonic "thud"
but then its only what I think ( and I know nowt!) its a prefered style thing really.
well you did ask!
[/quote]

IME flats don't thud unless you want them to, and they have plenty of sustain. what kInd have you tried?

ha ha, looks like I'm not alone! I couldn't believe the diff myself .. I now sound exactly like the bass lines I come up with in my head :) I went for chromes myself can't see me going back now. I've also been dabbling with some foam under my strings at the bridge .. it sounds great at low volumes but tonight when Mrs T popped out to the shops I cranked my amp and realised it was cutting out too much of the sound when I was slapping and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't punch through the mix anything like it does without .. I'm gonna keep messing though.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1340320077' post='1702962']
IME flats don't thud unless you want them to, and they have plenty of sustain.[/quote]

Yes. Flats do everything that rounds ever did for me except make my bloody fingers sore and wear my frets down. :D

I've had flats on my fretless 6 for 12 years - LOVE them. Had then on my fretted 6 for about 4 years too, and only changed them because I the basses sounded very similar, and I wanted a more drastic alternative to the fretless!

I use Elites flats, which I think are some of the brightest - I liked the Labellas too, but didn't get on with some of the others that seemed a little too dark... I like to be able to get some bite by playing with my fingernails and I can still get a really nice slap sound with the Elites too... plenty of sparkle when I need it... It also feels like the treble boost 'sparkle' switch on the John East U-Retro was made for flats - adds just the right kind of 'air' to the sound to give the tone an acoustic vibe. Lovely.

Steve

Well I've not been on much, too much fun playing with my new toys, they sounded great at a full rehearsal last night, I could up the volume without spoiling the sound balance for the others. Mine are Elites, the only choice in Manson's was these or Roto's. First gig with them tonight. I'll let you know how i get on.

The reason I posted was because I was previously under the impression that there was something special and obscure about using flats, a bit veggie/wholemeal/socks and sandals, that somehow they are 'difficult' 'dull','thuddy' or whatever. Actually they are just strings with their own tone and character which happens to sit well with other instruments and work well with some sorts of music. I'll eventually run my P bass with stainless roundwounds and swap in all probability.

If you are reading this without having tried flats then I'd say don't leave it as long as i did, there's nothing obscure or difficult about them they are just strings which you'll like or not, but worth trying. You won't turn into a Morris Dancer, honest :P

I wish Fender did 9120s in a 5 set - I had a set on my Thunder III fretless & it was great, but have found that they are unavailable for 5ers.

Alternatively, does anyone else do a black coated set of flats for a 5er? I suppose I'd really fancy an anodised metal finish rather than nylon coated, but the 9120s were less thumpy & 'rubbery' than the Rotos & were quite nice.

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='geoffbyrne' timestamp='1340442889' post='1704436']
I wish Fender did 9120s in a 5 set - I had a set on my Thunder III fretless & it was great, but have found that they are unavailable for 5ers.

Alternatively, does anyone else do a black coated set of flats for a 5er? I suppose I'd really fancy an anodised metal finish rather than nylon coated, but the 9120s were less thumpy & 'rubbery' than the Rotos & were quite nice.

G.
[/quote]
You can get 5-string La Bella 760N black nylons.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1340434874' post='1704357']
The reason I posted was because I was previously under the impression that there was something special and obscure about using flats, a bit veggie/wholemeal/socks and sandals, that somehow they are 'difficult' 'dull','thuddy' or whatever.[/quote]

Most amusing - but just out of interest, what gave you this impression? :D

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1340448961' post='1704546']
Most amusing - but just out of interest, what gave you this impression? :D
[/quote]

Well nobody I've spoken to has had a good word to say about flats and nobody playing live round here seems to use them. The impression is always given that it is only the sort of thing you would look at to be deliberately different ar as a way of getting close to the sound of an upright