Why become a member? ×

Flatwounds

Phil Starr

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1341270386' post='1716329']
Hi Phil,I say go for it, they are great sounding pickups, but... I like a dark tone, with less highs and sizzle,so theses pickups and flats are really working for me.
So much so that I`m putting them in a second bass.
If you need that modern top end on your sound, maybe they aren`t for you.
[/quote]
How hot are they? My Warlock has two sets of P-Bass pick-ups in it but I'm a bit disappointed with the bridge set, they just seem weak, with no balls. I've also been looking at the Seymour Duncan SPB-2.
I'm a bit disappointed with the pre-amp too, I can get a nice sound out of it, but isn't very versatile. Turning either the Bass or the Treble knobs up even a little bit with either make it instantly muddy or bright enough to hurt your teeth, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground, except keeping them both off. Playing it with a pick and the treble up a bit makes it sound like you're hitting it with a spanner, no matter how softly you play.
This is what happens when you buy a Bass based on aesthetics folks! Though, having said that, it plays like a dream, very fast and smooth.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1341270386' post='1716329']
Hi Phil,I say go for it, they are great sounding pickups, but... I like a dark tone, with less highs and sizzle,so theses pickups and flats are really working for me.
So much so that I`m putting them in a second bass.
If you need that modern top end on your sound, maybe they aren`t for you.
[/quote]
Not really too worried about more top but I may have blown the budget for a bit as I accidentally bought a Thunderbird yesterday, the perfect P-tone might have to wait a bit.

[quote name='Phil Starr' timestamp='1341328229' post='1717118']
I accidentally bought a Thunderbird
[/quote]

I just hate it when that happens ;-)

Also enjoying Chromes on my Precision, playing reggae and old school soul. My band loves the sound... 'I was *feeling* your bass tonight'

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1341324527' post='1717024']
How hot are they? My Warlock has two sets of P-Bass pick-ups in it but I'm a bit disappointed with the bridge set, they just seem weak, with no balls. I've also been looking at the Seymour Duncan SPB-2.
I'm a bit disappointed with the pre-amp too, I can get a nice sound out of it, but isn't very versatile. Turning either the Bass or the Treble knobs up even a little bit with either make it instantly muddy or bright enough to hurt your teeth, there doesn't seem to be any middle ground, except keeping them both off. Playing it with a pick and the treble up a bit makes it sound like you're hitting it with a spanner, no matter how softly you play.
This is what happens when you buy a Bass based on aesthetics folks! Though, having said that, it plays like a dream, very fast and smooth.
[/quote]
Pretty damn hot I`d say.
Louder than the Nordstrands in my Jazz and a much warmer tone than my 82 MIJ hohner Ps that I stuck in for sat gig.
I noticed immediately that with the Thumpers I could open the tone right up and get a great balance of attack and thump, but with the Hohners an open tone pot was like biting on tinfoil.

Hey all :)

I've just got my new P-bass and I have to say I'm tempted by flats. I like the sound I get out of my DR Sunbeams, but I hate how quickly they go dead with my sweating.

The main thing I'm unsure about is whether the flats will do the aggressive/gritty edge I want for my sound, and if they do, how consistent that will be. From what I've heard flats don't die in the same way that rounds do.

Some advice would be much appreciated :)

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1341251738' post='1715823']
How do the Laklands compare to others flats like Chromes, EBs etc? I'm using and enjoying Ernie Balls at the moment, I've also tried Picato which were too dark and thumpy for me, TI Jazz flats which were nice but a little too soft feeling for my playing style, and D'addario Chromes which seem very close to the EBs.
[/quote]
Laklands are made by GHS and I believe are very similar if not identical to the GHS Precision flats, in which case they will sound darker and less bright than Chromes or EBs, which are very similar to each other.

GHS Precisions are my favourites and I have some hardly used EBs and Chromes that I will swap for your TI or Picatos if you like.

Edited by redstriper

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1341336556' post='1717324']
Hey all :)

I've just got my new P-bass and I have to say I'm tempted by flats. I like the sound I get out of my DR Sunbeams, but I hate how quickly they go dead with my sweating.

The main thing I'm unsure about is whether the flats will do the aggressive/gritty edge I want for my sound, and if they do, how consistent that will be. From what I've heard flats don't die in the same way that rounds do.

Some advice would be much appreciated :)
[/quote]
Flats are not renowned for aggressive/gritty edge, but I would recommend Rotsound as the grittiest and most 'roundwound sounding' I have tried, TIs also have some bite as used by Pino on his Precision, but they are light gauge and very low tension.
Chromes and EBs manage to be both bright and mellow at the same time.
Flats don't lose their zing like rounds do, because they don't have it in the first place and you may not take to them - only one way to find out :)

Half grounds or whatever they're called may suit you more, as a half way house between rounds and flats - I've never tried them, so can't comment.

Edited by redstriper

I remember, 20 odd years ago, being told that flats don't die because they were never alive, they always sound dead. But this was by a Guitar shop full of Guitarists...

Using that Bright Bar idea from the above video I have come up with my own.

[color=#ffffff].......................[/color]Bright[color=#ffffff]..............................................[/color]Dead
Roundwound: |--------------------------------------------------|
Flatwound:[color=#ffffff] ...............[/color]|--------|

The top bar represents the life of the Roundwound string. It starts off bright and gradually dies to a dull thud.
The bottom bar is the life of the Flatwound string. It doesn't start off as bright as the Roundwound string but it isn't dead either and it remains pretty stable. My Flats are on their second Bass now and I haven't noticed any difference from when I first put them on the first Bass. The only Flats I have used are Chromes, so they start off, and remain, relatively bright.
Perhaps people could use a similar bar device to represent how bright or mellow the makes of Flats that they've used? It's probably a stupid idea isn't it?

(Hint: I've used full stops to make the bottom bar stay where it is and coloured them white so you can't see them.)

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1341341826' post='1717433']
Cheers guys :)

and KB, I think that is really useful, thanks :) I might have to buy a set of Chromes when my strings die.
[/quote]
I think it would be more useful if lots of people use it, even if someone has already done it for the same set of strings, it would be better if we could get a proper consensus on each set.

Actually, we need for it to cover where on the bright to mellow range each set comes, as well as their life span. I tried to do that to but realised they conflicted and I suddenly couldn't get my head around it, but I'm sure someone cleverer could come up with something more suitable.

Edited by KingBollock

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1341342376' post='1717451']
Actually, we need for it to cover where on the bright to mellow range each set comes, as well as their life span. I tried to do that to but realised they conflicted and I suddenly couldn't get my head around it, but I'm sure someone cleverer could come up with something more suitable.
[/quote]

I'm using a rubber chicken to measure it.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1341342325' post='1717448']
IME the Laklands are as smooth as the La Bella FLs, with a little bit more going on in the upper mids.[/quote]

Just ordered some Lakland Flats on your recommendation.
No pressure, obviously. :lol:

I only use Chromes - tried most of them on the PRSs and Chromes sound awesome. I have changed from 45-100s to 50-105s as they seem to have more depth of tone (and hold drop D better)....

The big secret (if there is one) with flats is dont change them too often - flats seems to get better when they are no longer stretching. If you play everyday you can get at least a year out of them. Rounds (if your after a zingy sound which is the main reason for using them) go 'dead' very quickly.

Im my opine of course, its hardly a definative thing tone.

When I want to change the fender strings that have come on my new P Bass, what rounds would you recommend to get an improved sound on it generally? What's the real difference between chrome and stainless other than one is chrome and the other stainless that doesn't rust in a motorcycle kind of thinking :-)

[quote name='The Burpster' timestamp='1341346459' post='1717564']
I only use Chromes - tried most of them on the PRSs and Chromes sound awesome. I have changed from 45-100s to 50-105s as they seem to have more depth of tone (and hold drop D better)....

The big secret (if there is one) with flats is dont change them too often - flats seems to get better when they are no longer stretching. If you play everyday you can get at least a year out of them. Rounds (if your after a zingy sound which is the main reason for using them) go 'dead' very quickly.

Im my opine of course, its hardly a definative thing tone.
[/quote]

I change strings about every 10 years and It takes at least a year for a new set to settle in ;) .

I use the new Fender 9050CL 45-60-80-105 set. I switched to them from rounds a couple of years ago and haven't gone back, after almost 40 years of playing bass. They growl when you want them to; are mellow when you need them to; are completely consistent from string-to-string and up the neck, last forever, balanced in feel, and good value-for-money in price. They are more of a steel wrap instead of chrome.

I remember when all basses came with flatwounds as standard and roundwounds were only available on special order - the opposite of today's situation.
I tried rounds because they were the 'new thing' used by Jaco and the Ox, but I never liked them.

I posted a poll some time ago and it seems I'm in the minority:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/124992-i-want-to-complain/page__hl__poll+flat+wound+strings__fromsearch__1"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/124992-i-want-to-complain/page__hl__poll+flat+wound+strings__fromsearch__1[/url]