Why become a member? ×

standing vs sitting

MandShef

Hi all

I was taught to play sitting on a high stool, and have never played double bass standing. It occured to me the other day how useful it would be to be able to play both ways, when I was lugging my double bass + music stand + stool to orchestra practice! The problem is, when I try to play standing I struggle to get the double bass to balance, and end up with way too much pressure on my left hand thumb. Can anyone offer me any advice? I've been watching tutorial vids on you tube, but obviously something's not clicking ....

I think you should sort of pull the double bass against yourself while playing? That way, the bass's width itself should allow you to stand at the correct distance from the strings, and also allow your plucking arm to be at a comfortable angle. That's why uprights usually have a spacing bracket (but it doesn't feel as comfortable or look as cool as a real DB!).

Edit: I guess it's a matter of finding the centre of gravity of you plus your DB as a group, without putting pressure on your hands or wrists. Also, it's good to make sure the endpin is not slipping.

Edited by bluejay

Rufus Reid says 'Stand with your feet almost in an 'L' shape. The bass is slightly tilted towards the body and the side of the bass is not touching the stomach area. The proper angle of the bass can be achieved by drawing the bow on the E string so that the arm just passes the body without moving the body or the bass. The bass is leaning slightly into the body with the inside of the left knee against the bass back acting as one of the balancing points. The other balancing point is angled against the lower abdomen where it joins the leg.'

The book, 'The Evolving Bassist' has more info and photographs. I've been trying to balance the bass a la Mr Reid and had begun to feel quite proud of my progress when the other band members wanted me to 'twirl the bass'. Grrr.

Thanks Bluejay, I'll keep trying. I've found I'm OK plucking, it's bowing that seems more of a struggle.

Sitting is normal in an orchestra Bassace. Reckon the 'greats' would be able to do both. Hopefully I'll get the support/advice I need to master it, but don't think I'll feel the need to shoot myself if I don't :huh:

I use a stool (as recommend by my tutor) - and an end pin stop. I find it helps from a consistency point of view, when you sit down to play everything is in the right/same place which I'm guessing can only be a good thing as it's one less thing to worry about :)

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1340573774' post='1706514']
Thanks Bluejay, I'll keep trying. I've found I'm OK plucking, it's bowing that seems more of a struggle.

Sitting is normal in an orchestra Bassace. Reckon the 'greats' would be able to do both. Hopefully I'll get the support/advice I need to master it, but don't think I'll feel the need to shoot myself if I don't :huh:
[/quote]

Agreed, bowing seems easier sitting down, which is why classical players don't stand up. But in a jazz context the 'greats' I referred to always stood. Which is what I've been doing for quite a while; I feel I can enjoy the music more if I can get a bit of body movement. The gun's still loaded btw.

[quote name='MandShef' timestamp='1340616922' post='1706897']
JWBassman - just out of interest what type of stool do you use? I think one thing that would help is swapping my bar stool for a foldable one that's easier to carry. Finding one the right height can be tricky though ....
[/quote]

I've got a K&M Stehhilfe 14046 - fully adjustable, foldable, reasonably light weight - got if from http://www.thomman.co.uk/

There are cheaper alternatives but as with all things you get what you pay for. It must be good because my tutor went and bought one after trying mine :) With regards the cost my perception of expensive changed dramatically when I started looking to buy a DB.

The stool is great, it makes a big difference being comfortable when you play and takes the pressure off balancing the instrument so you can focus on the notes you are trying to play...

I'm more used to playing the DB standing up. It's only when I joined an orchestra that I bought a stool and I only sit down when another section is going over a part and I'm not playing. For concerts I play standing up. I'd like to play sitting down but it mucks up my intonation -- more practise I guess.

Standing up and with no hands my bass is stable for about a second but it needs a little correction from my left hand and doesn't interfere with my playing. Most of the leaning weight is on my stomach. (I guess it's a bit like riding a bike, although the thing's unstable you automatically compensate.) Of course, some of this depends on your build and the bass itself. I've played a bass with a very light body and it's much harder to balance. Changing your endpin height may help too.

Thanks Nick. I have found that I do need to adjust the endpin - I think when I'm sitting my DB leans back more, whereas stood up it's more upright so the endpin needs to be lower. I'm the other way around re intontation - when I'm sitting the bass is steady and I'm taking no weight on my left hand, so intonation is much more consistent. I also find it easier to shift up the fingerboard. I guess it's what you're used to. I've been practising a few scales stood up, but I def need to sit when playing long pieces of classical stuff. I have found standing with my feet in an L-shape has been a really useful tip, but I can't seem to find a good anchor point for resting the bass against my body. I'll continue to experiment. Your advice is appreciated :)

Hi Bob, I am after one of those stools (someone else on here recommended them) but I am aware they're a bit expensive. How much would you sell it for? And how would you arrange getting it from S Devon to Sheffield? Don't want to say 'yes I'll have it' as I'm on a budget, but def tempted.

• 2 years later...

I find pizzing standing up the bass feels very stable, but arco involving any shifting is much more difficult without the right hand point of contact.

Ikea sell folding stools in two heights (and different colours IIRC)
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/10199217/
If you know what height of stool you need to have good posture, they could be adjusted incrementally smaller with judicious trimming of the legs, the flat folding might be a big plus for lugging to gigs/rehearsals, but the seat might need the addition of a gel pad for comfort.

Like probably many others, I prefer playing pizzicato standing up but for arco I prefer to sit on a stool. I can play arco standing and I can play pizzicato seated, but it's not quite as comfortable, particularly arco standing up I find keeping the bow level quite a challenge.