Why become a member? ×

Bottleneck Tuning

waynepunkdude

Totally depends on what style you want to play and how you wish to play. If you're using the bottleneck on your pinkie and using for effect/breaks then standard or drop D work well and your other fingers continue to do their normal stuff. If just using the bottleneck then you can use any of the open tunings, I use open C as it suits the range of my voice. Good article here with a pile of info [url="http://sethares.engr.wisc.edu/alternatetunings/opentunings.pdf"]http://sethares.engr.wisc.edu/alternatetunings/opentunings.pdf[/url]

Steve

If you're playing it in a band situation, then you can use a standard tuning. If you're wanting to use it to impress your lady or friends, then an open tuning of your choosing from those above (or off tinterweb). Could try some Alt open tunings too. :D

Have fun.

Open G and open E are the two classic blues slide tunings. Open E is dead easy to start with and gets one straight to that Elmore James thing. Open G requires slightly more thought, and, when played with finger barres, finds one channelling Keef. Open G capo'd at fret 4 is much favoured by bluegrass sliders.

If you just want to drop a bit of slide into a song and you don't want all the faff of retuning or keeping a spare guitar, just drop the high E to a D and use your slide on the top four strings.

If you fancy listening to some electric slide pyrotechnics, may I recommend Sonny Landreth - particularly a track called 'New Landlord' - and the work of Mr Derek Trucks.