Why become a member? ×

String tension

Beedster

Hi all
I'm getting a lovely sweet tone in the mid range on my Precision but I'm not finding it so much on the higher strings. To try and improve this I'm gonna play around with custom gauges with a smaller range between lightest and heaviest (not sure yet but possibly something like 50-100). I'm guessing the tension on the G and D will feel higher than on the A and E. Should I try to offset this with number of string wirndings on the post or similar? Any other suggestions?
Cheers
Chris

Chris,
Might be silly suggestion, and you may well have tried it already, but have you tried playing with the height of the pups under the D+G string before you start changing them? Just a thought as you obviously have a string combination that you like and changing string Dia.s will mean set up changes and tinkering again.......

[quote name='The Burpster' date='Jun 17 2007, 10:18 AM' post='19071']
Chris,
Might be silly suggestion, and you may well have tried it already, but have you tried playing with the height of the pups under the D+G string before you start changing them? Just a thought as you obviously have a string combination that you like and changing string Dia.s will mean set up changes and tinkering again.......
[/quote

Thanks Bob, yes, PUP height is good. I played a heavier set of strings on the PB and the sweet tone seemed to be as much a function of gauge as frequency, i.e., the sweet spot moved up a string if that makes sense? Problem is, the lower strings sounded dead and were much harder to fret, making simply moving to heavier strings all round an unattractive option.Think I'm gonna order a custom set and leave plenty of winds on the posts to start with and see what happens
Chris

Cool, bud..... keep us posted ...... Urrmm I think D'addario have just started doing custom sets ... That might just be for 5 strings tho'

PS glad you like the Tascam ....... we need to get you into the 21st century now....... (stand by for subliminal message...)

MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.

:)

[quote name='The Burpster' post='19439' date='Jun 18 2007, 07:30 AM']Cool, bud..... keep us posted ...... Urrmm I think D'addario have just started doing custom sets ... That might just be for 5 strings tho'
PS glad you like the Tascam ....... we need to get you into the 21st century now....... (stand by for subliminal message...)
MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.MP3.
:)[/quote]

LOL, very happy to be in the 20th Bob! Technology-wise I've only just come out of the 19th!
Chris

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='19595' date='Jun 18 2007, 01:20 PM']One of the things I have noticed often gets omitted in discussions about string tension is the difference between having all the tuners on one side like a Fender or two a side like lots of other basses.[/quote]

Good point. I think it odd that people recommend the same number of winds despite the different gauge and tension of strings? I wonder of we get used to different tensions with different strings?
Chris