Why become a member? ×

VALVE AMP COMPARISONS

bertbass

Just been over to talkbass and found an interesting thread about valve amp comparisons. here's the youtube link, [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erSHiJeG8JM[/media]

and heres a link to the talkbass thread, [url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/heads-up-tube-amp-comparison-6-amps-898389/."]http://www.talkbass....6-amps-898389/.[/url]

I love this sort of thing.

Edited by bertbass

[quote name='dincz' timestamp='1342112416' post='1729833']
The treble from No. 5 - Orange - makes it hard to believe they were all running with flat EQ. If all EQ's were flat, then there's a power amp stage in there that's far from flat. More like faulty.
[/quote]

He's defining flat by 'knobs in the middle'. So most of them are mid scooped by default, the Orange has a tone stack that is sort of flat in the middle, but there is another control that messes with things. The Sound City sounds like it has wrong valves in it.

I've always been told that valve amps have passive tone controls so a flat response would be with all the controls on 10, oh all right 11 then, but I doubt that that would be a flat response either but I would have thought that flat out eq would be closer to flat than half way.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1342130201' post='1730298']
I've always been told that valve amps have passive tone controls so a flat response would be with all the controls on 10, oh all right 11 then, but I doubt that that would be a flat response either but I would have thought that flat out eq would be closer to flat than half way.
[/quote]

That isn't how it works at all. There are loads of styles of passive tone stack, the most common being the RCA circuit that Fender used and everyone else copied, that is nearest to flat with mid on max and bass and treble right down. The two band Baxendall/James circuit is flat in the middle. The sound City in the comparison has active valve controls, so the bass mid and treble are all gain controls for their bands.

This program helps to visualise passive stacks: http://www.duncanamps.com/tsc/

I knew that the Sound City tone controls were active which is why they sound rubbish, had a couple and never could get a good sound. Is that why SS amps don't sound that good either?

Thanks for the link but it's not Apple friendly.

[quote name='bertbass' timestamp='1342133047' post='1730343']
I knew that the Sound City tone controls were active which is why they sound rubbish, had a couple and never could get a good sound. Is that why SS amps don't sound that good either?

Thanks for the link but it's not Apple friendly.
[/quote]

They have tone controls that control the tone and are otherwise fairly transparent, so either they were broken, you eqed to sound rubbish, or rubbish sound went in. Broken is the most likely, I guess, lots of carbon comps that absorb water if left somewhere damp and start sucking. The main advantage of the passive fender style tone stack is they only cut mids, and don't otherwise have much they can change the tone, so you have limited scope to eq it badly, and the scoop can compensate for a lot of stuff. If you find the same issue with SS amps set flat, then it would be not liking the natural sound going in.

I've just had a listen, without checking which amp was which until the end. My clear favourite is the Marshall JCM800, closely followed by the Hiwatt. The rest are too dirty in the lows on the "clean" clips, or too thin in the case of the Orange. The treble on the Orange sounds quite good with the passive bass on the dirty clips though. I also enjoyed the sound of the JMP, a very recognisable late 60s/early 70s sound with that sort of throaty roar, but it's not what I would choose for my own band. With the arbitrary control settings used, it's impossible to say which would be my favourite if I could actually try all six though.

Edited by Beer of the Bass

• 1 year later...

Hi guys. I haven't seen this post before, but I hope you enjoyed the video on YouTube. There will be an other set of 3 videos "soon"… Or later. But anyway. I'm still trying to source the some more amps for that. But this time it won't be a blind test. Too many confusions in the YouTube comments. Here's the first 23!!! amps in SoundCloud. Please feel free to browse.

https://soundcloud.com/jakkeko/sets

Cheers,
-J

• 2 months later...