Why become a member? ×

Musicians car insurance.

pietruszka

As the topic says, car insurance! Im having a nightmare trying to get reasonable car insurance as a musician. Im about to buy a 52 plate Fcous Zetec 1.6, the best quote I have is just shy of £700 with 7 years NCB. Adrian flux have quoted me £2,000! Swiftcover who I'm already with wouldn't give me a quote for this car! It's only group 5! The quote for my sisters Golf GTI was less than this and it has a 1.8 engine and is group 12, who does it work? 'Cos it doesn't make any sense.

Who are people with here? Who can you recommend?

Dan

I'm with Direct Line.

22 years old, first policy that I'm principal holder - £700 for a 2.0 Volvo V50 and that's with business added on to SDPC which adds price to it. Have you given them a call?

Sometimes it helps to add someone else to the policy?

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1342526329' post='1736517']
I'm with Direct Line.

22 years old, first policy that I'm principal holder - £700 for a 2.0 Volvo V50 and that's with business added on to SDPC which adds price to it. Have you given them a call?

Sometimes it helps to add someone else to the policy?
[/quote]
Thats ridiculous! Im paying almost £600 for a 1lt micra at the moment. Direct line wouldn't give me a quote. And this is with my Dr. girlfriend who works as a Uni lecturer on the policy to. I don't understand ho I'm getting such insane quotes, it's getting to the point where I'm tempted to give up music as a job as it's costing me a fortune. I'm not earning enough to make a full living yet.

[quote name='gapiro' timestamp='1342526656' post='1736530']
How old are you?
Have you actually made a claim (ie protected NCB)
Add a parento r somethign who has 25 years on it ;)
[/quote]
Im 29, no claims, no points, no convictions, will have 7 years NCB next month.

Dan

Edited by pietruszka

Something must be loading your policy and it is hard to tell what it is.

Big factors are: age, sex, accident history, convictions, location, mileage, type of use, profession, car, value etc...

Have you checked out www.police.uk?

Right, I'm really confused now (no pun intended), I've just got a quote on confused.com and put my Mum and gf on the policy as named drivers, the quote is now £589! It costs me less to put more drivers on the car? Does any one on here work for an insurer to explain how this works?

Dan

It's a nightmare trying to get a decent policy for professional musicians. Victor Knight is supposed to be good but didn't bother to get back to me when I spoke to him about a quote. It also took ages to actually get through to him. Worth a try though.
I've got 11 years NCD and a clean licence and still struggle to get a fair deal.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1342530125' post='1736624']
Right, I'm really confused now (no pun intended), I've just got a quote on confused.com and put my Mum and gf on the policy as named drivers, the quote is now £589! It costs me less to put more drivers on the car? Does any one on here work for an insurer to explain how this works?

Dan
[/quote]

I think the gist of it is that if they see you as risky and you're the only driver you will be using the vehicle 100% of the time.

If the policy includes two other drivers who are perceived as less risky than you, you will be using the vehicle for a lower proportion of the time so the risk is lower and so is the premium you pay.

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1342530383' post='1736633']
I think the gist of it is that if they see you as risky and you're the only driver you will be using the vehicle 100% of the time.

If the policy includes two other drivers who are perceived as less risky than you, you will be using the vehicle for a lower proportion of the time so the risk is lower and so is the premium you pay.
[/quote]
Ok that makes sense, but surely its CAR insurance, not driver insurance. So the car is insured to 3 drivers and is on the road potentially 3 times as much and in that view more of a risk. But I think your way makes more sense. :lol:

Dan

I've gone through Victor C. Knight for years, since they were the MU official insurance agency (joined the MU for this very reason!). Give Patrick there a ring on 02083512400.. he always seems to know just what's going on.
I think MU use Hencilla Canworth now, but they came up with just too many dumb-ass questions ('do you meet famous people as part of your work?') and quoted me more for the same cover with the same company.
In the past I tried a couple of times to get quotes for alternatives; as soon as you mention 'Business use as a Musician' the everyday insurers would double the quote or even refuse to quote at all. They think we're all Marc Bolan or we might be carrying Sting in the passenger seat (think of the Loss Of Earnings claim..)

I know someone who quotes his profession as 'freelance tutor'. They didn't ask what subject so he didn't tell them.

Why insurers think musicians are a bad risk is beyond me. They're not insuring the kit we carry around, and the fact that it's highly valuable to us makes us drive carefully. We don't often drive in the rush hour (well, the morning anyway) so that's less of a risk. The probablility of getting stopped on the way home after a gig is high, so the chances are we'll be sober, not many people end up pissed at the end of their working shift anyway. Less risk again.

They hit us with silly premiums and then act all surprised and uptight when people like the above-mentioned "freelance tutor" do all they can to avoid the use of the word "music" in their insurance proposal. :rolleyes:

For many years I would get my motor insurance through the Musicians Union, until, one year, I tried to renew and was refused on the grounds that I was a...er...musician???? :scratch_one-s_head:
Now with Kwik-Fit.

FWIW As high as your quotes seem to be don't be tempted to lie or be deliberately vague in order to get a cheaper quote.

[quote name='pietruszka' timestamp='1342527405' post='1736552']
Thats ridiculous! Im paying almost £600 for a 1lt micra at the moment. Direct line wouldn't give me a quote. And this is with my Dr. girlfriend who works as a Uni lecturer on the policy to. I don't understand ho I'm getting such insane quotes, it's getting to the point where I'm tempted to give up music as a job as it's costing me a fortune. I'm not earning enough to make a full living yet.

Im 29, no claims, no points, no convictions, will have 7 years NCB next month.

[/quote]

Direct Line wouldn't give you a quote? They wouldn't give me a quote online. I had to do it over the phone and that was the best price I'd had so far so took it. That was with a windscreen repair but also having added my Dad as a named driver. It's also kept in a driveway overnight. Like a few people have said, I think geographical location has a lot to do with it.