Why become a member? ×

Interpretations of Chameleon

Oscar South

This is an interesting and fun song to play because you can't just take it at face value and play the melody then Bb blues scale solos over the two chord vamp, you've got to be innovative to keep it interesting the whole way though.

My 'uni course' band played it for our assessment, we split it into two parts, a jazz-funk styled part which covered the first half of the recording and then a 'rocked up' reprise at the end of the set following Tom Sawyer and a rocked up version of 'Shut up and Drive' where we went into the riff variations then rocked out with overdrive and heavy drumming at the end.

In the first part we played the head and broke it down then brought it back pretty much as on the original version, when we came back in we had the singers sing a two bar harmonised vamp to the words of 'put your hands up for herbie hancock' (was just a part of the groove really though, words weren't significant), after a few bars we traded some licks over it then the singing dropped out and we started passing the bassline between us; first the clav played it while I comped over it with bass-wah chords (High C string :)) and the guitarist took a solo, after that the guitar picked up the bassline and the keys went back to comping while I took a solo, after that the guitar and bass returned to the original format and the keys took a solo and brought us into the second breakdown where we ended the 'song'.

In the reprise we came out of shut up and drive into the first riff variation (the one that starts on a G# and walks chromatically to a Bb and its minor third), the guitar played a pretty cool riff that develops into a climax then hits a sustained note as we go into the second variation (the chromatic walk from Bb to C# with a high fill bit), the guitar comes in after two times through and harmonises it by a major third, a perfect fifth, a minor seventh and then an octave (shouldn't work and the guitarist plays all 12 tones in that too, we were just messing about when we 'discovered' it but it works surprisingly well) we come out of that with a lot of tension which we 'release' with a fancy unaccompanied bass run back to the original riff, a few quick flashy solos by guitar and keys then the guitar joins the bass vamp in unison for a few bars then goes into a sustained powerchord type thing while the drums go wild, I start slapping the riff really hard (the change in timbre seems to work well) then out of nowhere we go into the 'breakdown' riff in unison, just one time and out.

Anyone here play this song? How do you play it in your versions?

[quote name='Pkomor' post='188376' date='Apr 29 2008, 08:02 PM']Sounds good!
My little jazz funk band plays that (and are named after it actually) there is a live recording of on our myspace...

www.myspace.com/chamaeleonmusic

check it out! only live recordings though![/quote]

Hmmm it appears that the recording of chamaeleon seems to have been removed...
Sorry!