Why become a member? ×

A tuning question.

ChrisF

[quote name='Beer of the Bass' timestamp='1343759032' post='1754814']
They should be a decent quality string, but might or might not be to your taste as I think they're supposed to be a dark sounding string aimed at classical students. They'll probably bow easily but might be quite thumpy sounding pizzicato.
[/quote]

Thumpy sounds good to me :D ...is he the long lost dwarf ?? ;)

Edited by ChrisF

'Thumpy' can be frustrating to a beginner though (I speak from experience!) - it's more difficult to hear your intonation. Unless you practise with the bow, which of course everybody recommends that you do, but I worry about whether my neighbours can hear me... :unsure:

But anyway, yeah, get a professional to make sure the nut isn't going to destroy any more strings before you go shopping for a replacement set.

Edited by thisnameistaken

Im gonna ring the luthier tomorrow (spent most of today at the hospital )

As for the bow..I took it out and looked at it when i first got the bass...then put it away and have never, and will never use it....Im a rockabilly not part of the electric light orchestra ;) :lol:

Hospital? Hope you and yours are okay. D'Addario Preludes are orchestral strings which retail for around £70-£90 a set. The 'M' in the name means the set you're getting are medium tension. Better than weedwhackers! And you could always sell them to part finance your string of choice.

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1343810402' post='1755440']
Hospital? Hope you and yours are okay. D'Addario Preludes are orchestral strings which retail for around £70-£90 a set. The 'M' in the name means the set you're getting are medium tension. Better than weedwhackers! And you could always sell them to part finance your string of choice.
[/quote]

You read my mind..I was thinking of ebaying them to get the Innovations.

As for the hospital thing...I had a new hip a couple of years ago (after a motorbike crash) and it isnt going well. Ive had MRIs and blood tests and injections and loads of other stuff....and they still dont know whats wrong with it. Basically Im in a lot of pain 24 hours a day/7 days a week...next stage medication wise is morphine..and I dont want that as Ive been on it before and I didnt know what day it was half the time.

But hey...its not all bad...had to give up motorbikes, so I bought a bass guitar and rediscovered my love of playing music....now in band..and have a double bass....so every cloud and all that :D

thanks for asking by the way :)

Edited by ChrisF

That's a tough call. I used to ride motorbikes but lost my bottle after an encounter with a patch of diesel. I wasn't badly injured but the knowedge that it could have been a lot worse wrecked my enjoyment. My husband's still into them, although now he's a drummer there's less tinkering in the garage time. We used to blast round on two strokes together and now we make a racket on bass n drums instead.

Have you signed up for Daf Lewis' Innovations strings trial? It's a great chance to try before you buy. Although, although ... I'm itching to buy a set of Honeys but really should try the rockabillys first ...

The Honeys are the set currently on my laminate bass, but I was thinking of putting the Slaps back on yesterday. Oh I don't know!

They are both nice sets, the Honeys more versatile of course but I've got a second bass strung with steels now so I could feasibly put the Slaps on and have a modern-sounding and a trad-sounding bass. That was the idea anyway, but I ended up liking the Honeys and now it's not so straightforward!

Well, unfortunately, with original inexpensive strings, they do not necessarily hold. Placeholders they are. If budget is a problem, look around on the forums and otherwise. Because double bass strings are so expensive, sometimes a good lightly used set (purchased, mounted, and didn't like the tone/action/arco/whatever reason and took them right off) from an established company like Thomastik-Infeld or Pirastro will be about half to two-thirds the cost of new, and last a significantly long time.

Oh -- there is one good set that does have a solid steel core: the original T-I Precision strings. But they are a bit stiff by modern standards.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='sarah thomas' timestamp='1343823761' post='1755754']
Have you signed up for Daf Lewis' Innovations strings trial? It's a great chance to try before you buy. Although, although ... I'm itching to buy a set of Honeys but really should try the rockabillys first ...
[/quote]

No..havent signed up....Im fairly new to all this and I didnt think they would want my amateur feedback :D ....Ive heard such good things about them that Im just going to get a set when I get some money.

I do miss riding..I made some good friends...but Im also making good friends through music too now :)

[color="#282828"]iiipopes[/color] ...budget is always a problem in my house :( The guy from Thomann actually admitted that the strings were little more than placeholders.....

cheers for the advice everyone B)

So.. thisnameistaken....what (in laymans terms :blush: ) would you say are the differences between the Honeys and the Silverslaps ??

[quote name='ChrisF' timestamp='1343835409' post='1756034']
So.. thisnameistaken....what (in laymans terms :blush: ) would you say are the differences between the Honeys and the Silverslaps ??
[/quote]

Lots of talk about this in the Innovation Strings subforum, but: The Honeys are a good all-rounder string. They feel like a light steel string, tension is comfortable, sound like a jazz string plucked, and don't sound too bad bowed either. They are really great value IMO. Silver Slaps are very low tension and have a rough surface to them so they feel pretty unusual to play, but they have a good gut-like sound when plucked and of course they're very easy to slap. Think '50s rock n' roll.

TBH I found the Silver Slaps to be a little too loose for me and was considering trying the Super Silvers which are a similar string but higher tension, but I never got around to it and I would feel silly buying a [i]third[/i] set of strings for this bass when I already like the two I've got.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1343842930' post='1756239']
Lots of talk about this in the Innovation Strings subforum, but: The Honeys are a good all-rounder string. They feel like a light steel string, tension is comfortable, sound like a jazz string plucked, and don't sound too bad bowed either. They are really great value IMO. Silver Slaps are very low tension and have a rough surface to them so they feel pretty unusual to play, but they have a good gut-like sound when plucked and of course they're very easy to slap. Think '50s rock n' roll.

TBH I found the Silver Slaps to be a little too loose for me and was considering trying the Super Silvers which are a similar string but higher tension, but I never got around to it and I would feel silly buying a [i]third[/i] set of strings for this bass when I already like the two I've got.
[/quote]

Blimey now Im really confused..I think Im leaning towards the Silvers or the Super Silvers...I had better get myself over to the Innovation forum and have a read.....cheers :)

Cheers Artisan...is that a Harley in your profile picture ??

This was my weapon of choice until a few months ago :( ..but I sold it to a mate down in Somerset... I know its looked after, and I havent got to see it about all the time.

[IMG]http://i1120.photobucket.com/albums/l491/Chris_Finn/bikea.jpg[/IMG]

hi Chris,nice Bandit,have you bought a new toy to replace it ?
yes that's my new baby only had it 5 weeks & love it to bits.
[IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/artisan1967/Photo0001.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k161/artisan1967/Photo0002.jpg[/IMG]
i've had too many bikes to count over the years & nearly all of them mental fast sport bikes,i did have a nice XJR1300 that i spent a fortune on, JMC underbraced swing arm etc.
i finally got sick of trying to kill myself though & switched to Harley,much prefer it too i actually enjoy riding the bike now instead of just the adrenalin rush i used to get.

Nice bike....I nearly bought one of those a few years ago.

No more bikes for me.....last crash was a bad one. Cant actually lift my left leg over a bike anymore...and the wife had, had enough of me being in hospital.

Get my kicks from playing music now. Also I sang with a band in a pub a few months back...first time I have ever sang in public...usually just in my car or shower ;) ...and it was the best thing I have ever done with my clothes on.

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1343914345' post='1757238']
singing :shok: i've heard myself singing & would pity anyone else who heard me.
[/quote]lol..

that bad huh??

I honestly didnt have a clue if I was good or bad, as I had only ever done it in private before...but several people told me after that they liked it.....and I didnt even have to pay them :D

Although my guitartist wont let me sing at all in the band....mainly because I cant sing [i]and [/i]play bass yet :blush:

[quote name='artisan' timestamp='1343982423' post='1758052']
i actually had a go at backing vocal last night,it wan't good at all :)
don't think the lads want me to try again.
[/quote]

hahahahahahahaha.....that made me laugh :D